Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro Mountain Security course

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone done the training or assessment course?

just wondering how exposed you get, how fit you need to be, do i really need to hang off of ropes, etc...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I fancy it myself. According to the guide on my last one you do have to get the hang of ropes, so to speak !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
david@mediacopy, great ropes Shocked have to say 1000 metre skins each days sounds pretty tough gotta be what 5 hours?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3 hours-ish would be par for the course for 1000m but depends on a number of variables
worth doing some training anyway
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, Reading the course description - 'up to 1000m' - so I would guess you would only do that on one or two days - otherwise there would not be any time to do any training ! The rope work supports ski touring... not rock climbing.. so exposure should not (too much) of an issue.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1,000m will take a vaguely fit person about 3hrs depending on the nature of the terrain. 3-400m an hr is a reasonable pace for the not very serious tourer.

Skinning up the side of the piste when the snow is bad (like most of this season) will resolve any climbing related problems quite fast. Haribo gummi crocodiles and powdered energy drink will help with the other side of the matter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Done the EMS through Www.iasisnowsports.ie.

Skinning 3 hours would be the norm. Lots of nav, you will be expected to take a greater leadership role and plan a tour. Transceiver work would include multiple searches. You will be expected to handle a rope and make basic anchoring systems for security.

Basically in the level 3 MS your are introduced to leading groups off piste and must display a competent level at the end of the course demonstrating you can work within your remit. On the EMS you will be expected to have all the level 3 MS stuff nailed and be ready to take on a higher level of knowledge. Very little time will be spent learning the level 3 stuff, you are expected to have learnt it and be able to demonstrate you know it.

Great course but will take you well out of the a ski area and sometimes exposed, more walking than skiing, physically and mentally exhausting ( for me anyway).

PSG
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yep - rope work will probably be roping up on a glacier and moving together, and crevasse rescue
as a well built gentleman, this could go 2 ways. they may decide that you aren't the one who has to jump into a crevasse in order to get rescued, because it will make life difficult for everyone else and it's only a practice run... or they may decide that is all the more reason to make things difficult so you are the one who does the jump wink

last time i did this, i took evasive action by getting on the rope with a lightly built female and a 15st scouser. the scouser got the push Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, so rocking up with a beer gut wouldnt be advisable Very Happy More skinning is in my future me thinks!

pete, good to hear from someone who did it. i fancy the training course next season but doubt i will get through but who knows Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, As you know the training and assessment are split, I think you would get a great deal out of the training. You could then decide if you wanted to progress. Key thing is a reasonable level of fitness so the skinning is not a real drag. I am more about the turns as are my clients, so probably wouldn't use the EMS to tour with my clients. However the deeper knowledge of the mountain environment is invaluable.

PSG
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gilleski, yeah thats my thinking at the moment, do the training course and see how i go. couldnt see myself using it with paying customers but it would be good training. Going to give it a go next year and maybe another basi course.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, Have a crack at the training there is no test and you'll learn about the level and where you stand. to be honest i didn't enjoy the L3 training (dude just guided us about and told a few stories) but the training for the ems was great! (got a good guide that could teach well)

when it comes to the skinning they mainly tell you to slow down as clients you get aren't going to be running up the hill so theres no need for you to. but even if your not planning on having clients its a good thing to know about and perhaps do in your spare time if you enjoy it!

oh and rope work is just a few knots you can learn them off youtube! then you have to be able to make a snow anchor to lower people down steep/icy sections etc but thats fairly simple.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret,
Quote:

Going to give it a go next year and maybe another basi course.

Which other BASI course?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, not sure yet either the teach or the L3 coach, i havent done any basi for two years but have missed the training side of things this year and need a challenge to motivate me to get some fitness back....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, Telemark Very Happy
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:

Telemark

You know it makes sense !
snow conditions
Hell yeah telemark did the isia, haven't really used it but gotta love tele bumps!!!
ski holidays
Arno, not likely to be any glacier/crevasse work on the EMS - that's for guides, instructors are not allowed on glaciers.

Rope work is generally for situations like passing a cornice, rapelling into a couloir, safeguarding a steep, icy pitch, etc.
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
Arno, not likely to be any glacier/crevasse work on the EMS - that's for guides, instructors are not allowed on glaciers.

Rope work is generally for situations like passing a cornice, rapelling into a couloir, safeguarding a steep, icy pitch, etc.

Rappelling into a couloir sounds way out of the scope of what instructors should be doing with clients. I think the rope work would be setting up things like a "main courante" - not sure what the English is but basically a running line which can reassure skiers on steep terrain. You'd need stuff like a half hitch, figure of 8 etc.

To give an example here you see the instructor has set up a rope for skiers on this section of steeper and rocky ground:-

snow report
EMS rope work is mainly around offering security on steep pitches. You would be expected to be able to construct snow anchors (using your buried skis, a natural object, yourself). You would need to know the Italian hitch, figure eight, bowline and a few others. In addition to your rope ( 30 metre 11 mill) you would have a couple of slings and carabiners.

In general it's the knowledge to use a rope in an "un planned" situation.

PSG
ski holidays
davidof, Agreed - i'm thinking more of a situation of rapelling past an icy entrance than chamonix-style vertical drops.
snow report
The rope work is all pretty straight forward and not exposed. You have to do at least 700m ascent on your logged days between the courses but we never did more than 500m on any of the days on either course as they have plenty of other stuff to do. Give the training a go and take it from there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy