Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marmotte Spotting

Poster: A snowHead
The BBC have Bird watch/Spring watch etc so can we have Marmotte spotting Puzzled

I am sure by this time last year i had seem my first Marmotte but this season we have so much snow & it is still so cold that no signs have been seen yet.

Any spottings in lower resorts Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/2005_08_21-26_devoluy13.jpg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have one on my dressing table it wears Laderhozen and dances and sings. The dogs hates it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only time I've ever seen one was in Hintertux last April. There were dozens of them all lounging around sunbathing!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My baby son cuddles one every night in bed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spotted some in the supermarket next to the Bovril. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stewart woodward, never seen a marmotte before April.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Took this picture last May in Austria at 2500m
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My eldest son has an evil Marmotte called Maramaduke who likes Marmalade.

does this count?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plenty to be seen in La Foux in Southern Alps last week ...................... no pics but we did see them on one particular lift every time we went up ................... I'm now glad I know what they are !!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Like Paulio, I saw lots of them in Tux - in July.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can't offer any marmots, but I saw a fox today while I was going up in the Venosc lift. He was trotting about in the snow, presumably doing foxy things.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got this one

I also saw a few foxy things in "the Pub" last night...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have never yet seen one!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only seen marmots in the summer. I can thoroughly recommend marmot stew, BTW; very strong flvour, although there's not a lot of meat on your average marmot.
snow conditions
richmond, you need to feed them up a bit.
snow report
richmond, I am lead to believe that you either love it or hate it....or is that Marmite?

In Australia, do they have Vegemottes?
ski holidays
Guvnor, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Saw loads in the Espace Killy last year in w/c 21st April but none this trip -15th March to 29th March. However as this was probably due to the prodigious snowfalls and the lovely cool temperatures preserving it all, I am quite happy with the trade off Toofy Grin
snow conditions
They're all in bed, asleep.
latest report
Like the policemen.
ski holidays
The first Marmotte of the sesson was spotted under the Palafour lift yesterday by one of our instructors.

It probably had a quick look at all the snow and decided to go back to bed wink
ski holidays
Saw one under a chair lift think it was last March. My son drew our attention to a, "bear" crawling over the rocks; it was of course a marmot, and he will never live it down
snow report
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2374388142_d26acb9b55_b.jpg
snow conditions
Saw lots of marmots today - first time this season. Madeye-Smiley They were to the right of the Palafour lift and also some going up the Col de Fresse chair.
latest report
Mrs W,
Marmots use chairlifts? Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
stewart woodward, You obviously missed the post, but last week a marmotte ran across the Valentin piste right in between the skiers and snowboarders! I was shocked! We've also seen one marmotte just off the the right of the petit cretes chair. He's been moving around a lot in the snowfield. Last night I was watching 2 on the Grand Pente (they can't have been rocks as they were moving). Also seen 2 of them playing or fighting below the Jandri Express. they're so easy to spot against the snow - much easier than in summer. Very Happy
snow report
The 3Vallees marmottes are starting to wake up now, me and johnnyboy spotted 7 marmottes today around Mottarett. The first was under the Plan des Mains chair beside Mont Vallon, this marmotte was so alarmingly large it looked like it may have feasted on the wife&kids... The others were under the Pas du Lac gondola, 2 marmotte holes fairly close together with 6 little furries sitting out admiring the view. And JohntheSwede has just reported seeing a big marmotte out for a walk in the snow under the Roc des 3Marches gondola in Les Menuires.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
littleblue,
I think I must have seen the same Marmotte this morning under the Plan des Mains chair and it was a whoppa! We also saw three more, all this morning around Mont Vallon and the Mures Rouges chair. They are definitely waking up and looking quite lively.
snow conditions
stewart woodward, that week in Tignes, the ESF instructor that I was with spotted his first of the season just off Piste 'H' near Val Claret (was the Thursday, I think). He seemed genuinely excited.
snow conditions
Following euangoneskiing up the deux-lacs chair in VT last week there came an outstretched pointing arm to the left with a long cry of "mmaaaarrrrmoooooooooottes". And so I had my first ever sighting of a pair!
snow report
I saw this strange-coloured one coming up out of it's hole last Thursday
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
Following euangoneskiing up the deux-lacs chair in VT last week there came an outstretched pointing arm to the left with a long cry of "mmaaaarrrrmoooooooooottes". And so I had my first ever sighting of a pair!

I saw one of the 2 Lacs pair as well, on Thursday afternoon.
snow conditions
As per the Tignes snow report thread, we saw one under the palafour lift (off to the left) on fri 18th april...
ski holidays
Had my first sighting of marmottes in Tignes this weekend. They were all over the place.
snow conditions
Marmottes spotted in Val d'Isere last week - cute little buggas.

As for using chair lifts, there was one queing quietly to the side of the Marmotte chair lift ... he was there all day ... didn't move much though ... come to think of it he didn;t move at all! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Not fast enough to get photos. But we saw 2 of them on the slope below while riding the gondola up from Mottarett to Saulier.

While interesting to see, I have mixed feeling about seeing nature's habitant on ski slopes. It means we invaded their home while they're sleeping.

Nobody like to wake up in the morning only to find one's home is suddenly in the middle of a busy motorway. I suspect the marmottes don't appreciate all the skier/boarder traffic right in the middle of their homes either.
snow report
abc,
Quote:

Nobody like to wake up in the morning only to find one's home is suddenly in the middle of a busy motorway. I suspect the marmottes don't appreciate all the skier/boarder traffic right in the middle of their homes either.

I'm not sure they mind too much, in the summer even in the places where there are a lot of walkers cylists etc. the marmottes seem to thrive and be pretty blase about human activity.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
abc,
Quote:

I'm not sure they mind too much, in the summer even in the places where there are a lot of walkers cylists etc. the marmottes seem to thrive and be pretty blase about human activity.

You maybe right, T-bar. On the other hand, walkers and cyclists don't blast around at 50 miles per hour either. And are you sure there're as many walkers as there're skiers?

Marmottes are preys, I believe. So they're probably used to dodging predetors like fox (or whatever other marmottes eating animals). But very few animals move as fast as downhill skiers. So the poor marmottes might get quite confused as to who they must dodge... Puzzled
snow conditions
I've heard that they do not taste good. Can anyone vouch for that?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy