Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing an On Piste ski for a tall person

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm off to St Atons this weekend and, although last minute, Im going to take the plunge and by some skis before I go. Im 6'4" and ski virtually all on piste (red / blacks), fairly aggresivly so looking for some good on piste skis. I was thinking to get the Salomon 24 Hours Skis from Snow and Rock as they look good for both short turns and long carving turns and all reviews look v positive. My main concern is that the maximum length Snow and Rock are selling is 178cm where most of the information I read seems to suggest 180 - 185 is more suitable for my height / weight (98kg). All the other piste skis I like the look of in snow and rock also seem to come short of 180cm.

Wondering if anyone can advise me on whether 178cm is an issue considering my size? I do like to pick up a bit of speed so stability is a concern.

Any advice much appreciated. Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MrSnowplough,

skis don't know how tall you are.

Just what you weigh.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is a bit of an issue with Ladies piste skis also. The longest lengths seem to be 160-165. I have been told that I'm tall and heavy enough (!) to go longer than that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MrSnowplough, unless you've (a) got money to burn, or (b) can get to a snowdome tonight, Wednesday or Thursday, forget it and give yourself some more time to try things out. Obviously you'd then have to hire skis in St Anton, but you may find that the shop would be willing to sell you a pair that you really like - choose a shop that will allow you to swap to different skis.

BTW I'm 6'8" and more like 110kg, but 179 Icelantic Pilgrims suit me down to the ground. I spend much more time on piste than off, but they will go anywhere I want Smile

Oh and to improve stability at speed, carve very gently.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MrSnowplough, I'd have no problems with a 178 as a Piste only ski for your size.
I assume from your title that its not all mountain that you'll looking for but only piste in which case i know a lot of people your size skiing 167 slalom skis for piste only fun so a 178 hybrid like the 24 would be a correct size for your stats.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm very similar height and build and very much like my HEad Supershape Magnums. I even used them on some off piste including an off piste lesson despite having my atomic nomad crimsons in the chalet (not sure I thought that was wise as it was quite a serious pitch). They are a fantastic ski. I have them in the 177cm length. If you wanted some flexibility and just having one ski with a piste bias I would look at the supershape titan. I took a punt on buying mine without trying but bought at a ridiculous price of £213 in an end of season sale and was pretty confident even I didn't like them I would get my money back. My previous skis were Fischer RX8 and though they were good, I find the Magnums much better
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy