Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me all you know about Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
Did I mention Mrs JB just won us a holiday there in March? wink

18th March. I suspect it will be pretty soft even shushey low down, but who cares, it's free.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, Have a look here foir a kick off
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Tell me all you know about Zell am See"

well, there's a (frozen) lake there, and my dentist has just bought an apartment there wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
great area with varied skiing, fairly good skiing on the Schmittenhohe above Zell am See itself, but not a huge area, fairly good skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn & Maiskogel at Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn quite extensive and varied, Maiskogel rather small though good for beginners, best of all Saalbach-Hinterglemm, some very good skiing, great variety, all within 30 minute bus journey of Zell am See

Schmittenhohe, Zell am See

Kitzsteinhorn, Kaprun

Saalbach-Hinterglemm

all these sites have an english language button

if you plan to ski them all, be sure to buy the Salzburg SuperSkiCard which allows you to ski Saalbach-Hinterglemm on the same ski pass

have fun Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, It's typical Austrian Chocolate Box scenery at its best. Good night life too. We've been twice in March, first week, and it was beginning to warm up, slushy in the afternoons, frozen in the mornings on the lower slopes, but then when we got home they had the biggest dumping all season, happened both times so you just can't be sure. There is the glacier in Kaprun just a free bus ride along the road. We were first and 2nd weekers when we went, and there was plenty of skiing for us, and we didn't hear any more advanced skiers complaining either. We are further up the road this time in Saalbach, but have thought about going to Zell for the day for old times sake, it's where the ski bug took hold!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only 11 days and I will be there. I will post my views on return
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry, please do. I'm going there in Feb, and am interested to know stuff. (I've been in the summer, but not skied the resort)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth,

If you haven't already, check out www.europasportregion.info - Lots of info and good webcams.

Can't wait! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B, Did you enjoy it in the Summer?. I've been skiing there, but always fancied going back for the summer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, excuse me butting in but I've been in September and really enjoyed it. Lots of great walking (amazing how steep blue/red runs are when you walk them!), pleasant evenings (wouldn't recommend the Chinese though), had 4 hours on the Kitzsteinhorn (which many seem to call Kaprun, but I believe that is actually another resort lower down). A car is useful for getting around to the Grossglockner, waterfalls etc., but not essential.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alan Craggs, Excused Very Happy . Did you do any biking (lift up , bike down). I am also puzzled by the use of Kaprun rather than Kitzteinhorn. We found Zell am Zee easier to get to than the 'Horn from Kaprun
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, Alan Craggs, Sorry you're right Kaprun is the other side of the mountain from Zell, not the glacier. I forgot that we travelled further along to that. We went up about a week before that tragic fire on the train.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We went up about a week before that tragic fire on the train.

sharon1953, We went up a couple of years after the fire and seeing the closed tunnel entrance and disused bridge was a very moving experience. Years later people were still staring out of the Gletscherjet 1 window at the entrance in silence. Surely Skiings darkest day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty, no, but we went up by gondola (the only lift running) so I assume taking bikes wouldn't be a problem. Lots of tracks (not only pistes!) up and down from the town, didn't see anyone biking them so best to check that it is allowed. We stayed in the Grand Hotel on the lakeside - very nice but watch out for rooms on the railway side (unless you're an anorak wink )

sharon1953, there but for.... Shocked I've used that train many years ago in winter as well. Now replaced by fast bubbly things. I'll post some summery pics on the mediazone when I get a mo.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had one day skiing Zell as a 3rd week skiier, and to be honest I found it disappointing. The area is just too small - I had skiied half the runs in a few hours, as a novice. Nice town though, and I would like to return with some better weather.

Head up the K'horn for good snow and some decent runs.
ski holidays
Grand Hotel down by the lake nice for a civilised drink in the evening.

Resi Bar next to Hotel Eder is the top bar in town (in my opinion), smoky bier keller downstairs, bit more spacious and live music upstairs but not overbearing.

Crazy Daisy (once where the Resi Bar now is) is very loud and crowded, on several floors. Famous but, if youre an old gimmer like me, overrated.

Fabulous brick vaulted bar down steps behind hotel Fischerwirt (If I recall) in pedestrian area just off main square.

Early season, may be finished by the time youre there, later the town puts on a fire and ice show in the square, hot air balloon, fire juggler, braziers, hot gluwein, ice sculptures, cheesy sax music etc.

Also one evening midweek theres a display of freestyle tricks by the local young guns at the bottom of the black piste - well worth a watch.

Its a civilised town, but a working one - people have day jobs in things other than skiing.

Skiing area limited by various pinch points but ok for a week taking it easy.

Glacier above Kaprun is a must for at least one day, one belting red run, but if you want to get high it is likely to be by button lift.

Overall very nice but would try other places before revisiting.
snow conditions
I'm obviously glad we won a free holiday, but it is even better as I don't think I would have gone to this resort otherwise due to the small area and low altitude. It sounds very pretty and will be very relaxing at that time of year.

Last year was the first year we managed 2 trips and I found the 2nd week (Soll) very easy going as I had got all the hard core ski-ing I wanted in lake Louise.

Cheers Everyone
snow conditions
Ayup. Sorry to butt in but keeping on the Austrian theme we (group of 3 lads) have booked to go to saalbach end of Jan. Splashed out on Alpen hotel after much deliberation. Any experience of this anyone? Suggestions re nightlife also welcome!
ski holidays
johnboy, If all of Kaprun is open then I would 2 days there and 4 in ZaZ. Make sure you do ALL of ZaZ as there are a few bits off the beaten track that some folks dont bother with. With your attitude you should have a great time.

ps Dont forget to enrol Mrs Johnboy in any "win yourself a chalet" competitions.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

She is definately doing the lottery this week. That sounds like a good plan as well. I don't really mind if it is small, just means you get to know the runs better rather than trying to ski every single km of piste.

chrispo,

Welcome to Snowheads, ain't been there myself, but no doubt a few of the others have.
ski holidays
chrispo, Go to the search facility, (hovver your mouse ofer "user facilities" and search for Saalbach. There is a lot of recent info on Saalbach and a lot of Snowhead Saalbach fans.

A belated welcome Very Happy
snow conditions
Been to Zell twice in last two years - it's excellent. Went in March both years and had sunshine every day (lucky - but snow slightly slushy by late afteroon). Got to agree with Frosty, there are some great runs which I did not discover until my second trip. The Romatik Hotel Metzgerwirt is a lovely hotel, I would highly recommend it.

We went to the glacier one day this March, but although the snow was much better, we both preferred the Schmittenhoe above Zell.

My wife learned to ski there and just loves the place, so much so that we're going back in March 2006 (after our trip to Lech this Saturday!!) with two friends who have never skied before.

Zell - a lovely town, with friendly locals, great scenery, slightly limited skiing area, great ski school - 8 out of 10
ski holidays
This all sounds really good people. the only Austrian resort I've been to is Soll. Is the terrain similar. I found the ski-ing in Soll to be very pleasant.
snow report
johnboy, I've skiied Zell twice at that time of year. First time was good, with skiing all the way down and serious powder following a huge dump a few days previous. I'm talking waist high just off the piste! Second time was a week later and you could only ski down to Mid station, but still enough to occupy us. You have the Kaprun glacier next door so if you get really stuck you'll have some skiing. I would also recommend gettinga bus to Saalbach for the day which has a better snow record but also more skiing.

Crazy Daisies is legendary. That's all that needs to be said and about all I can remember!
Little Angel
There is also a large indoor ice arena where I managed to watch Russia vs Austria U21 ice hockey. It was really good so check out the events there.

It's a really picturesque town. You'll have a brilliant time. But get over to Saalbach as I think you'd like a holiday there sometime and it's a good time to check it out.
ski holidays
This sounds great. I thought it would be a slush fest. Even if it is i'm not that bothered.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I loved it in the summer. Loads to do in the area, and you can always fit in a bit of skiing. However, don't stay in a hotel that is anywhere near the railway. I don't think I slept all week as the goods trains run all night!!
latest report
Its a fun resort - was there in 1998 - basically a horseshoe shaped ski area overlooking a lake with mainly intermediate skiing. There is one very good black run which runs down the middle of the " horseshoe ". There is a hotel on the top of the Schnittenhoe ( spe?) where there is ( or was in 1996 ) live music and table dancing from 3:30pm. Down the road about 1/2 an hour by bus is Kaprun where there is a glacier in case conditions are not good in Zell. Did not get round to going there as it was just my second skiing holiday - and the whole idea of one area was enough for me at that time. In hindsight would have liked to have skied the Kitsteinhorn ( the glacier over Kaprun ) but beware it can get very crowded if conditions in Zell are poor. Zell is a fairly lively place with plenty of bars and restaurants.
ski holidays
I was in Zell at Easter time this year (have an apartment there), and the conditions were excellent. When we got there the first day, the snow on the Schmittenhohe was looking pretty bad, so it looked like we would be spending a week on the glacier at Kaprun. However, that first night, there was a dump of 25cm's at the top of the mountain and the conditions suddenly changed from pretty poor to amazing.
My brother and I had a week of powder runs to ourselves, as there was only about 100 people on the mountain each day. Didn't see any slush until the last afternoon either. It just goes to show how quickly conditions can change in the mountains.
Anyway, back on topic, find a restaurant called Einkehr for really good meal in the evening (they have a stream running through their winecellar to keep it cool), and obviously, Crazy Daisies if you want a fun night out. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will the lake still be frozen at that time of year? (18/3/06)
snow report
It should still be frozen, but I would have thought the ice was beginnig to thin out a bit by that time. Basically, I wouldn't recommen trying to walk on it becasue you might get that sinking feeling. Very Happy
snow report
I've put a few autumnal pics here (registered snowMedia users only). Sorry about the quality, they're scanned prints.
snow report
Thanks for that Alan. Great Photos.
snow report
Alan Craggs, aahh, that beautiful view from the Schmittenhohe, enjoyed with too many Gluweins on several occasions!

johnboy, a warning, it's a long way to ski down after one too many Gluweins!
snow report
hayley t,

Looks fantastic though. I have put it on my desktop for the week.
snow report
Are there any bars that will be showing premiership football.

Im in Zell from Sat and im a Arsenal fan, they play Chelsea this Sunday (its on Sky) and I would hate to miss it. 4pm GMT

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 14-12-05 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Renry, I wouldn't worry....I mean it's not as if you're likely to win!! wink
snow conditions
Elizabeth B wrote:
Renry, I wouldn't worry....I mean it's not as if you're likely to win!! wink

Sad
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
Will the lake still be frozen at that time of year? (18/3/06)

with this in mind what time of year does it generaly start to freeze over?
snow report
Zell am See (Sell-ahm-Say)
From Salzburg: 75 minute drive to Zell am See passing briefly through Germany in transit. Zell is set on a beautiful lake (see) at an elevation of about 2500ft/800m and is also a very popular summer resort.
From Zell climb over 3300ft/1000m on a string of lifts including the Zeller gondola and an express chairlift to Panorama Pfiff, elevation 6230ft/1900m. After the quick lift rides take a run down the mountain on a mellow looking intermediate trail called The Schutt, by the time you get to the bottom of the trail at Zell’s neighboring village of Schuttdorf you'll have traveled nearly five miles down a vertical drop of 4000ft/1200m.
From there take the three part Areitbahn gondola system right back up to Panorama Pfiff again and try the scenic and very manageable groomed black piste #14 down the center of the mountain to Zell’s signature Schmittenhohebahn 50 passenger cable car.
Zell am See lived up to its reputation for gorgeous, sun drenched, south facing ski terrain during my visit. The temperatures actually rose as we ascended the cable car to the highest point on the mountain, Schmittenhohe Peak (6560ft/2000m). Apparently, this temperature inversion phenomenon was fairly common here.
After a couple of runs near the top of the mountain, if it's time for lunch try the Pinzgauer Hutte for beautiful scenery and a novel transfer back to the slopes. We had to ski and pole for about a half mile down a gradual trail away from all ski slopes to get there, but it was worth it. The crystal clear view from the Pinzgauer Hutte includes the valley below and filling up the sky is the huge Kitzsteinhorn glacier with lift served terrain up to 9935ft/3029m. Near the town of Kaprun, this year-round, high altitude skiing and snowboarding option (vertical drop 3500ft/1050m) is where locals go on their off days because the snow is good there. After your meal transfer back to the ski slopes via snowmobile tow, water-ski style at speeds approaching 30 mph back up the half mile distance to the main ski area. From the summit try another beautiful, groomed black piste (#13) to a run-out leading back to Zell am See.
snow conditions
Just moving it to the top again
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy