Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to replace the bandits

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

this has probably been answered in load of other threads but some feedback would be nice. I presently Ski rossi bandits 2 and whilst I love them when on slightly harder pistes they really struggle to cut through. I am looking to upgrade my ski's and whilst i would love to keep the bandits I will have to sell them so looking for something that performs all round but gives a bit better performance on the piste. The local shop has offered me a deal on some Vokl AC 7.4 but have none I can test first. Anyone who give any good ski suggestions or a bit more technical knowhow on what I am looking for it would be greatly appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You mean Bandit XX or or B2's? I have the former.

When you say they struggle to cut through on harder pistes, do you mean they don't edge well?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richiavo, sounds like you need to tune your edges
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
B2's
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richiavo, The BASI Trainer that took my course years ago skied B2's, he kept them in a perfect state of tune and believe me he had no trouble holding an edge on hard pistes.

Time for a decent service I think.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As with the other guys I am surprised you are having problems. Who/where do you get them tuned and how often? My Bandits are great as long as I keep them tuned. How many weeks have you done on them?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have just had the edged and waxed fairly regularly but nothing special dne to them. Orior to last year and this year I have been lucky enough to ski on perefectly groomed pistes with loads of snow so never noticed the problem before. Will have to speak to my service centre and get a better edging done on them. I have had them 5 years and done 3 full seasons on them plus ski about 4 times a week at the moment. Despite skiing solidly for 5 of the last 7 years do not really know much about the technical side of ski's.

Thanks for the advice
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richiavo, Considering how much they've now been used, they're probably well past their sell by date. Time for some new skis I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow, that is a lot of skiing. You lucky man Very Happy As Spyder says it may be that they are just bombed out. I did read recently about some Bandits that they lose their flexibility after a while. I don't believe I've used mine anywhere near enough to get to that stage! Check out the Dynastar Sultan's for your new purchase. I've not skied them but they sound up your street.

One thing to be wary of, is conditions have been very bad of late. I was out in ADH before 18-25th Dec and it got very dicey after the mid-week thaw. I've heard it's been bad since. You don't see those conditions all that often. I certainly haven't skiing 2 weeks a year for the last 20 years. A ski instructor or expert told me early on, nobody can ski ice (well except downhill racers of a fashion I suppose).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

A ski instructor or expert told me early on, nobody can ski ice (well except downhill racers of a fashion I suppose)

You can if you're skis are tortionally stiff enough with good edges, and you have the balls/technique to stay fast and aggressive - the more power and pressure you can put through your edges the better they'll grip, just it's scary and takes longer to stop.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, perhaps I should have clarified rolling eyes

Given the right ski's and you ski aggressively enough it's possible to get enough edge, to get enough grip to make a turn (in a similar fashion to a donwhill skier) or indeed stop. The problem 99.9% of people don't have the right sk's or can ski aggressively enough. And it's not wise to ski like a downhiller on a normal piste.

My thought for the opening poster was really that he may be expecting too much of his ski's or himself given the recent conditions not withstanding it's sounds like the ski's maybe are a little "worn out".

Smile snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the advice, the local ski shop have also said they are probably a bit past there best so going in tomorrow to choose my new ski's I have choice between Dynastar Sultan 80 Legend or the new rosi Zenith still not sure, but will be able to test the Zenith.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like you're looking for the same type of ski as I was. I looked at various all mountain skis, including the Sultan 80/85 to replace an ageing pair of Dynstar Legend 8000's (which I loved). After lots of testing at Hemel and then a week in PSV, I jumped in with both boots for the Salomon Tornado Ti in 173cm. Awesome ski Smile Holds an edge like nothing else, fast edge to edge (79mm underfoot), loves crud, loves ice, love powder, loves speed as well as farting around on the sides. The only thing its not entirely at home on are large moguls but thats probably a combination of my technique and the length.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough. You need to work the skis to get the best out of them, but they are just a joy to blat around on, from HUUUUGE carving turns on blue/red wide runs to fast short radius turns down the sides of red/blacks.

I couldn't be happier with my choice.
Si
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Si

I actually got a great deal from my ski shop and have bought Vokl AC40 carbon which are the best ski I have ever skied on. There are brilliant on the hard packed snow we have in resort at the moment but also work in the trees and powder and for such a high end ski they are very easy to ski on. not tried on bumps yet but think they would be a little too heavy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richiavo, how do the vokl Ac40s compare with Vokl Mantras?
snow conditions
I haven't tried the mantra's and from what i hear they are more of a freeride ski which i wasn't really looking for, i also tested the tiger sharks and thought the ac's were as a good on hard packed pistes but they really worked well off piste as well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy