Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-Touring/Mountaineering harness

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to replace my old harness.

Need something that be put on with taking skis or crampons on.

I know the DMM Super Couloir is an option, but would prefere something with 'independent' leg loops and much more back support.
Preferably front gear loops too.
Don't doo any serious climbing anymore, so don't carry much hardware (mainly crevasse rescue kit)

It will be spending 90% of the time in a stuffsac in my pack, so weight and packsize important ...

Camp Onyx cr ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at the Black Diamond Alpine Bod.

Its easy to put on / take off whilst wearing skis or crampons
Not sure about the back support bit.
Its got enough gear loops for crevasse kit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for the Black Diamond Alpine Bod - lighter in weight also, compared to others
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have one of those - seems cheap and cheerful and comfy, and very lightweight
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey. Sorry to threadjack but I just bought an alpine bod for touring. And apparently you now need one for the top cable at Grands Montets as I was shouted at by a liftie????

Anyway are people wearing it with a karibiner connecting the wang strap (technical term) to the belt or just letting it flap? The strap. Thanks J
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kesone1, I wear it with a karabiner - but no one sensible would come to me for climbing or gnarly equipment advice wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear it with a screwgate crab, but always tie in to the rope through the belt and leg-loop (crab's for your belay/descendeur device)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kesone1 wrote:
... Anyway are people wearing it with a karibiner connecting the wang strap (technical term) to the belt or just letting it flap? The strap. Thanks J

"Belay loop" is the technical term wink

The lack of one on the DB Alpine Bod rules it out for me. Using a screwgate doesn't really work for me, as it can make it bit more difficult to escape a belay ...

Spot the difference in design ?
spot the difference ...

DB Bod looks a bit better to me (100g heavier, and more bulky)
I've used a WildCountry harness of the same design, so understand the easy of putting them on.
Found it somewhat uncomfortable to hang around in though a.k.a the old Don Whillians harness - shall we say that one's "equipment" could be caught in the middle Shocked Embarassed

ball braker

-hence on the look-out for 'independent' leg loops designs
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow_muncher, I use the DMM Super Couloir - light weight, takes little room in the pack and is super easy to put on/take off. Would not want to be hanging around for hours in it but thats not what its for. They tend to be generously sized so try before you buy if this is the route you take.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow_muncher, DMM Alpine - cheap - very adjustable, light snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CAMP XLH 95 - 95g, $39.95

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/harnesses/xlh-95.asp
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, this has been replaced by the Alp 95 - same miniscule weight but $49.95.

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/harnesses/alp-95.asp
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snow_muncher, said...
Quote:

Need something that be put on with taking skis or crampons on.

like to see you get that on wearing skis etc.... Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffers wrote:
...like to see you get that on wearing skis etc.... Laughing

just thinking the same !

I'm sure it could be done, could make an entertaining you-tube video Madeye-Smiley

Perhaps rename the Camp "houdini" Harness Puzzled

Real shame its not got adjustable ( & un-doable ) legs loops, as otherwise would be perfect Confused

ski, DMM Alpine - one to consider for sure. I know my brother uses them as "centre" harnesses on his climbing wall and abseil tower - very adjustable and simple, but he's say they're OK to hang around in too.

Strangely, that Alp 95 is not listed in Europe Puzzled

Have also noticed the Camp Coral (317g), which is a copy of the DMM Super Couloir/BD Bod/Alpine Bod design (pull-through leg loops)

Been trying to find somewhere which stocks the Camp Onyx CR (337g), so I can see how the legs loops work ...

Keep the suggestions coming wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want to be really minimalist try a longish sling and a krab.

Tie two overhand knots in the sling to form two belay loops (like in the photo of the XLH). Adjust the loops so that, with the krab fitted, one part of the sling is tight round your waist. Then reach between your legs for the remainder of the sling and clip that into the krab too. You may need to be creative in shortening the leg loops.
snow report
How about the BD Couloir? Seems pretty light, cheap and easy to get on

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN70614
snow report
Or go a bit heavier and try the Petzl Calidris... it's an amazing climbing harness but is very comfy, the mesh back stops sweaty patches. Designed for hanging about under tension.

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN39253 - think this is older model.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/mountaineering-and-climbing-harnesses/calidris
snow conditions
Scarpa, I use these one of these for climbing - very adjustable to suit various layers etc. and comfortable but not great for putting on skis/crampons as the leg loops don't undo as the leg loop webbing is double stitched at the end to suit the quick tension buckles
latest report
kesone1 wrote:
Hey. Sorry to threadjack but I just bought an alpine bod for touring. And apparently you now need one for the top cable at Grands Montets as I was shouted at by a liftie????

Gosh thats new. Were you on the piste? Its not bad idea though, if you duck the rope and go right there are often some serious holes, even more so far right. I have always thought it was a bit of an anomaly that everyone on the VB is fully kitted but not on GM.

On the harness thing, many of the guides now have their clients clip a sling into the harness and clip the other end high on their rucksack strap, this is as a result of people getting jammed in crevasses, and the PGHM not being able to clip onto the harness to winch them out. There was a video of it happening on the VB in the summer, and the chap died.
ski holidays
Hofmeister, I have one of the older versions and although sewn the loops undo quite easily... you just push the bulky bit through with your thumb.
snow conditions
We were off down the right but I know that bit reasonably well. Touch wood.

The guy actually spoke to me at the top as we got out and apparently everyone should always wear one and that's been the case for years. News to me.
ski holidays
It must be the only piste in the world that you need a harness for !
ski holidays
I know. That's what I was saying to the guy. Reckon he was just bitter because it was a pow day.
snow conditions
jbob, VB = Valley Blanche ? GM = Grande Montets ?

ish303 wrote:
How about the BD Couloir...

Looks like an option. Like the gear loop/ice screw arrangement.

Scarpa, That's the kind of design I was aiming for, having used pull-through designs before. Getting a bit heavy though.

Still can't find anyone who stocks that Camp Onyx CR, either in UK or CH Sad
( still looks like the best mix/compromise between design/comfort/weight/ease to my mind )

Given the options that seem to be available, going to set a weight limit of 400g-ish.
Add to the the weight of an ice screw or two, a few screwgates, Ropeman, tibloc, prussiks, pulleys, etc, etc ... all adds up
snow conditions

Camp Coral 317g £45:

http://shop.backcountryuk.com/camp-coral-harness-rrp-5000-1793-p.asp

Review:

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web08x/ms-lg-camp-coral-harness
snow conditions
ish303 wrote:
How about the BD Couloir? ...

Had look at one of these today ...

Its not a harness, its an SM masochistic device !

Wearing one would be bad enough, let alone the idea of actually taking a fall in one .. So thin may as well be made from cheesewire ... Shocked
latest report
BD Bod is great, use mine for everything - snowboarding/skiing, mountaineering, cragging, even down the climbing wall! It's actually very comfy to sit in - the leg loops are un-padded, but they're very wide and spread the load well.
snow report
BD Alpine Bod is fine for general touring, crevasse rescue IMHO. Very light, and perfectly good enough for rescues, abseils etc. Very easy to get in and out of with boots on. Clip on a light carabiner to hold the front loop from flapping. Make sure you belay through both the waist belt and front loop of course, but that applies to all this type of harness. But i'm just a punter, what do I know?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow_muncher, Like the vast majority of reponses I'm also a fan of the Bod. I understand your worries that it might have the same issues as the Whillans, but in use the Bod behaves much like a harness with independent leg loops. I've never had any trouble with mine.

I don't get your comment about using a screw gate not working for you? How is a screw gate different to a belay loop in this regard? Are you saying you would prefer to clip in with a normal snap gate?
snow conditions
X350a? (no quick release, but still removable and very comfortable).
snow conditions
sah wrote:
... I don't get your comment about using a screw gate not working for you? How is a screw gate different to a belay loop in this regard? Are you saying you would prefer to clip in with a normal snap gate?

I've used harnesses without belay loops before. The first problem I found was that the screwgate cannot rotate left or right as freely as compared to a harness with a belay loop. 2nd problem is that belay above youself is fine, but belay someone below is more restrictive. The 3rd issue is the greatly increased difficulty of free yourself from a belay under load, which is quite important in crevasse rescue scenarios (where the victim is unable to rescue themselves, setup extra anchors, or you need to haul a pulk out, etc)

fr0sty wrote:
X350a

Arc'teryx X350a ? £90 for a harness - bit steep TBH. I know Arc'teryx kit is OK, but definitely not worth the pricetag IMHO.
snow report
Ok, it probably breaks every rule in the book, but ...
I use a screw-gate on my Alpine Bod, attached to a very short extender, with another screw-gate on this.
Everything gets attached to this second screw-gate.
That way the attachment hangs just below my ski jacket and is more accessable.
This harness only gets used in a rescue (me being, or me doing) scenario, or for a client confidence rope,
so I will always try to rig a belay independant of my harness, allowing me to leave the system if needs be.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy