Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'huez or les deux alpes mixed group, children, ski school ....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've been trawling on here endlessly in the hope of working out the differences between Alpe d'huez and les deux alpes in suitability for our group but keep being sidetracked with numerous posts about dog poo rolling eyes

Either is good for us as we fly into Grenoble and will have a car.

I have two children who will be beginners (more or less) and would love for them to be in a ski school either French or UK that doesn't involve a hike up the mountain first thing.

The rest of us are intermediates happy cruising on blues and reds.

We have one non skier who'd like ease of meeting us for lunch.

Preferred accommodation would be an apartment with indoor pool or one near a communual pool.

So, which resort would you recommend? Would love someone to make up my mind for me Very Happy

thanks

Tor
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tor, I think either would suit to be honest.

LDA has beginner areas leading to the town (some are free) and ADH has greens all around the town.

Both have great skiing further up the mountain for more experienced skiers.

LDA has several mountain restaurant's which are accessible by gondola for non-skiers. ADH has too although I can't remember exactly how many.

Both have public swimming pools and skating rinks.

LDA is a less expensive resort in my opinion although ADH isn't that bad compared to some French resorts.

Probably hasn't helped you make your mind up I'm afraid.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tor, I've been to both and much preferred Aple d'Huez, but accept it is horses for courses.

I didn't like that L2A feels like you go up a lift just to ski back down the slope that you've gone up, I like the idea of moving around a mountain, which you can get at AdH

The nursery slopes at AdH are right at the bottom, with a good choice of greens and blues to practice on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely ADH - bigger area, more varied slopes, excellent beginner slopes, great outdoor pool etc etc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PBJ, Thanks so much - just want I wanted to hear Smile

tor
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, Thanks too - and after Christmas I seriously need to "move around a mountain" Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B, Thanks too Colin - there doesn't sound as though there's much in it but I'm going with my gut feeling for Alpes Duez - just need to identify the right accommodation near the ski school ...

tor
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tor,
I am not sure of the facilities at L2A but I would say the decider for ADH would be the Sports Centre with Indoor Pool and loads of activities, although these do get busy if the skiing weather is bad, and the Outdoor Pool and Ice Rink. All of these facilities, except for the hire of equipment such as Ice Skates, Tennis Rackets etc. are free withe VisAlp pass. Oh, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays there is lift served sledging, normally complete with free Chartreuse laced Hot Chocolate for the adults.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went to Alp dhuez and totally loved it,it has great skiing over a large area so you can ski all morning at one end of the resort and then travel to the other end later in day and you really do cover some distances,crossing the main area at lunch when quieter.We ate late and skied all the busy runs at lunch times when they where quieter.Probably going back myself soon as I didnt get to ski everything last time I was there and we skied hard and fast everyday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tor, have a look on the ADH web site or the ESF website as there are a number of ski school meeting places depending on where you stay.

The two main ones are at Les Bergers and the other is at the Bottom of the DMC (one of the main lifts).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skitow, thanks too for this - alpe duez is looking good if not for the hot chocolate alone Smile

tor
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Curtains, thanks - will take a look there for ski schools and re read the forum for some personal recommendations

tor
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All depends when you are going I suppose and early or late season I would go for LDA, and I found the ADH town a bit disjointed and LDA twon a bit better with respect to layout and walking about etc. ADH better as a learner / intermediate resort
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, thanks too - I can deal with disjointed so long as we end up in the right bit ... ie not trekking from one end of town to the other with over-tired small people, which I've yet to figure out Puzzled But on balance it seems ADH sounds a better bet for beginners ...

tor
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meandrew, sounds perfect and nothing like a long late lunch Smile ADH it is by the sounds of it ...

tor
ski holidays
You can ski for a day at LDH with the week ADH lift pass.
ski holidays
hi all, I'm off to Alpe D on 9 Jan and wonder if anyone can help with following...which may in turn helptor, when he has his hols...

Mountain restaurants - any suggestions for the more rustic spots, kind of places that do a decent plat du jour? All of the party can handle reds but not all can do blacks so also need to be reasonably accessible. Another thought is getting the cable car down to Vaujony 1250 for a valley floor lunch and change of scenery, or to Oz 1350 - wonder if any have tried those as options?

Scary chair - one of our party (ok me!) finds those lifts that go across massive ravines to be a bit hairy...No problem with lifts going down/up but when I'm hundreds of feet from terra firma for some strange reason I don't like it! Is that chair over to Auris En Oisans a nightmare??!? Think regardless I'll just have to deal with it as area over there looks so good.

any helpful info much appreciated...
snow report
tor, you could even book a helicopter trip to take you to the other resort for the day. Not cheap though.
latest report
DoubleBombardino, My favourite restaurant was the one just above Villard Reculas, La Bergerie du Villard.

The "scare chair" over to Auris actually goes down one side of the gorge and up the other.
latest report
No question, Alpe d'Huez

As you head up the mountain from the town it has an almost perfect progression from green to blue to red to black to silly.

Les Deux Alpes is nowhere nearly as good for beginners.
latest report
DoubleBombardino, thanks - not sure if it's helped me out or put me off rolling eyes I can't imagine enjoying that massively either but better to be forwarned!

Have a wonderful holiday and don't forget to post back with your restaurant reviews ....

tor
snow report
Alan McGregor, thanks - I appreciate your input ADH does sound perfect in so many ways.

tor
snow report
Ray Zorro, Now thee's a thought - maybe we'll camp and do that instead?!
snow conditions
I think the helicopter trip from L2A to AdH was €75 per person (I was in L2A last week), not sure if you got the helicopter ride back though or whether you have to get the bus!
snow conditions
hammerite, thanks, not as shocking as I'd imagined - hope you had a great holiday!
snow report
Tor When in adh I think th best place to head for is Auris,great area real snow,no snow making when I was there anyhow.The runs tend to be quieter and there is stuff for everyone,a must in my opinion is La Fare off the back of Signall de l`homme its a black but its groomed every day and is smooth but steep but a great run and you get to the cold but fantastic located resturaunt in the gorge sorry but I dont know the name but the sceneary is top.The chair next to the place is the best way out of the gorge aswell.This is a great place for some off piste aswell from the top of this chair back down into the gorge,Mine de l`herpie.Fantastic down to Villard Reclas nice easy runs and tricky reds with lots of mouguls Toofy Grin .You also get a day is Serre Chevailier aswell on your lift pass but I think its a bit far away on a weeks trip ,maybe if you were there for two.Hope you have a safe trip.
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino, you have to do the Sarranne,its not really a black its only steep at the start and after that its more like blue and red for miles .Great in the morning before it gets chopped up but not good if the visability is bad.Go to Sig De l`homme the skiing is ace and the run from the top down to Le Rossay is great fun.
ski holidays
Guys, just as a point of order, I believe it's now 2 days in LDA (and Serre Chevalier even though not reasonably near) on an ADH pass (and presumably vice versa ?)

So the man said anyway

"Hi

I confirmed to you that when you buy a 6 days minimum skipass ALPE D HUEZ GRAND DOMAINE
You get 2 days free to the ski resort Les 2 Alpes

regards
"
(Soizic.vince@satahuez.fr)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes I think that's right JezC, certainly we could have 2 days in AdH with a L2A pass (and another day in Serre).
latest report
I visited ADH last year. I'm newish to skiing, but some of the party were very hard skiers. I'd say we'd covered virtually every run by half way through the week and spent the rest of the week repeating ourselves. Had a great time. We thought the skiing in the Auris area was somewhat lacking - like a ski resort from the 1970s with short runs, cranky lifts (I may have made that bit up) and a piste map that didn't work - obviously completely the opposite reaction to meandrew's. It was certainly quiet.

The "scare chair" goes down and up. Going down in a chairlift (1) feels wrong and (2) it's a lot, lot further down (or at least it looks as though it is). I don't know if that will worry you but it's not actually any higher than any normal chair.

Favourite trip: from the top of Dome des Petits Rousses at 2800, down Dome (lovely bumps)/Les Rousses/Chalets/La Fare into the bottom at L'Enversin d'Oz by Vaujany 1250. Sarenne is great fun too, until it gets really dull.
latest report
Every run in AdH, in a week....? Impressive, I'm not especially new to skiing, and think I might have struggled to do the whole AdH resort in 6 days - sure, managed to ski to every "corner" of the place, but certainly not virtually every run. Still, at least each day can produce a different experience on the same slope Smile
latest report
LDA is long and thin and the runs to village are no gimme. Even the cat track/green at the end of the day.

Alpe D is sunny and spread out, I'd go there. Easier to meet friend for lunch too.

Definitely ADH
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
I visited ADH last year. I'm newish to skiing, but some of the party were very hard skiers. I'd say we'd covered virtually every run by half way through the week and spent the rest of the week repeating ourselves. Had a great time. We thought the skiing in the Auris area was somewhat lacking - like a ski resort from the 1970s with short runs, cranky lifts (I may have made that bit up) and a piste map that didn't work - obviously completely the opposite reaction to meandrew's. It was certainly quiet.

The "scare chair" goes down and up. Going down in a chairlift (1) feels wrong and (2) it's a lot, lot further down (or at least it looks as though it is). I don't know if that will worry you but it's not actually any higher than any normal chair.

Favourite trip: from the top of Dome des Petits Rousses at 2800, down Dome (lovely bumps)/Les Rousses/Chalets/La Fare into the bottom at L'Enversin d'Oz by Vaujany 1250. Sarenne is great fun too, until it gets really dull.
WOW EVERY RUN IN ADH IN THREE DAYS you must be a ultra fast skier and to think you where fairly new to the sport aswell rolling eyes The combination of 2000m vert runs is enough for one day or two and then you have every other run in between,the lifts must of been running very fast that week.I have skied since the age of 4 and reckon Im a pretty good skier me and my son skied every day from 8.30 till 4.30 and didnt manage to get to vaujany once hence why I would love to go back.you couldnt do every balck in a day then every red and blue in two days not counting the greens. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Well, I take your point, ish, but I'm not sure that counting all the runs into the bowl in ADH that run parallel to each other as different runs is a true and fair version - more like collecting train numbers than variety in skiing. If you missed out on Vaujany then definitely a reason to go back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy