Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre - mid/late March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, we're just back from a lovely week in Les Deux Alpes and have now booked a random week in Montgenevre departing 19th March. Hoping this is a good choice for fairly late in the season for snow conditions (especially as the resort's website is stipulating current snow depths of 200cm lower, 270 upper slopes!). Would love to hear other people's experience's of Montgenevre around that time! We're staying in Hotel Chalet Blanc which is situated in the Obelisk area - is there a ski hire nearby or would we need to walk to into the main village? Same for restaurants/cafes/bars etc as we're on a room only basis. Also recommendations for ski school for my husband - in LDA he felt a bit rusty so decided a few lessons are needed for the next trip!

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@surferrosa, good call, should be perfect.

We live further down in Serre Chevalier so have a reasonable handle on conditions up there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're just back since Saturday from our first trip to Montgenevre staying centrally as opposed to in Obelisk. I can't say what the conditions are generally like in mid March but I'm pretty sure we got some of the best conditions in Europe last week. Slopes were in good shape when we arrived and we got an estimated 70-80cms on Monday and Tuesday when we were there. So for the moment I wouldn't worry if I were you. Also, a lot of the slopes off the main part of the resort get very little sun so I imagine should hold well in March.
We had 2 of our kids with ESI Apeak for the week and both my wife and I got one individual private lesson each. Highly recommend them. All 3 instructors we dealt with were excellent. The only other ski school in the resort is ESF. Our youngest was in Piou Piou for the week and they were fantastic. But overall i'd recommend ESI for your husband.
I'm sure there is a skiset and possibly an Intersport in the Obeslisk area. Google will guide you. We hired from Intersport Residence Du Golf in the main village - no problems there and they had lockers where we stored our gear for the week as opposed to carrying skis etc up and down every day.
There are basically three lifts from the Obelisk area. The Chalvet gondola will go from somewhere near your hotel and birng you to the Chalvet area. Loads of nice, long blue and red runs that get the sun in the morning. The far side of the road are the Serre Thibaud (also brings you to the Chalvet area, although higher up) and the Tremplin chairlift which brings you over towards the slopes running down to the centre of the village. So you have good options from the morning. There is a bus that goes around the resort and i'm sure you could use that to go to the main village.
I can't comment too much on the restaurants as we were self catering and mostly cooked. We had burgers etc in Le Graal twice and they were fine. Some places were closed last week. Not sure if they're permanently closed or if they were closed as it is low season. There aren't huge options but this wasn't a priority for us.
I'm sure you'll have a great time. We are quite likely to go back next year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've been late March and had great snow. We've been back for new year and early March as well and always had an amazing trip.

There is ski hire in the area you are staying.

Ski school - we've always used Apeak who have been excellent.

Snow looks amazing at the moment!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all replies. Looks like Apeak are fully booked for our dates so may have to go with ESF, but we’ll email them just to make sure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@adriangrogan, wow, sounds like your conditions were great. We were in Les deux alpes last week and whilst the snow was good we didn’t get the dump that you guys got! Fingers crossed it holds until March…
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy