Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-in/Ski-out resort suggestions for March

Poster: A snowHead
I've previously been looking exclusively at Val Thorens, but I realised it'd be a good idea to see if anyone has any better ideas, so I was hoping someone might be able to suggest some alternatives for me to consider when booking my skiing holiday in March, please?

The requirements are ... not too crowded (hence the choice of March, hopefully missing both British and French holidays in February and April), lots of blues and easy reds (hence 3 Valleys), plenty of guaranteed snow (hence Val Thorens), and ski-in/ski-out (again, Val Thorens purportedly being a good choice here).

There's two of us, myself and my girlfriend, and we are looking at a budget of £500-£700 per person for a 7-night stay, including flights and accommodation.

We have no preferences about Chalets over Hotels, or vice versa, however we don't want to do self-catering.

Does anyone have any killer suggestions that might rival or beat VT as a destination? Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
French holidays this year end March 12th, the easter holidays are not so bad as you would think!. When were you thinking of going?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheapest prices for VT are last week in March, and we'd probably go no earlier than middle of March anyway.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Of the few places I've been, Tignes or Les Arcs would make good alternatives.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Montgenevre L' hameau apts will be about £400 at that time and Chalet about £550 with tour ops
both ski from door. quiet resort nightlife wise but some nice eating places
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What are these places like for snow in March. Would they be guaranteed snow?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most resorts are fine for March - it is April when you have to start thinking about snow levels (Snowheads End of Season Bash is the last week in April).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Montgenevre is 1850m so snow sure, the chalet Neilson use are 50 ski from Chalmetttes lift whist apartments are opposite end of village and there is a gap in piste fencing just 15m from door, from there its 300m ski to two major lifts 1 of the Sierre Tibard with both gondolas and chairs on same wire, same as chalmettes Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chalet Balcon in Belle Plange,doorstep skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Would they be guaranteed snow?

nowhere is guaranteed good snow, at anytime, but all those places mentioned should be absolutely fine unless you have diabolically bad luck. Mid-March is often about the best the snow gets, even at our place at 1550m

I thought of Belle Plagne too - hard to get closer to the piste.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaKid, If you can afford it Arc 1950 meets all your needs. Snow not a problem, trully ski in/ski out every building. No cars in station (underground parking). Plenty of bars and places to eat etc both in Arc 1950 and up the lift in Arc 2000. But it is not cheap.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Obertauern is pretty much spot on to your requirements. Not as extensive by any means, but apres will be a lot better, and quite decent for a week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you've not done Tignes, loads of ski in/out accommodation there, including chalets, hotels etc. Well worth it, and should be lovely in March.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You'll be doing well to get anywhere near your budget if it's to include passes etc - or is that just the basic package?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maeva Le Vanoise apartments at La Rosiere. Bang next to slopes, cheap compared to 3v etc, nice high but quiet resort.
snow report
Maybe Flaine? Nice area, not too far from Geneva so short transfers, most of the apartments and hotels look to be pretty much on the piste.

Out of interest, why is ski-in/out so critical? I only ask because you could, for example, ski the Flaine area (Grand Massif) and stay in a beautiful village like Samoens which has a fast lift right in to the ski area. In my view that's a nicer holiday all round.

March is not late, so any well known ski resort should be OK for snow at that time, but with weather being what it is nothing is ever guarenteed... I gather it's raining in the western alps right now now and in te past I've skied in powder in April in St Anton and in a blizzard in May in Chamonix, so you never know...
snow conditions
Val Tho is a good choice.

Book it.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Val Tho is a good choice.

Book it.

Indeed, but the point of the question was asking for an alternative to VT... Smile
latest report
I've actually ended up booking rob@rar's apartment, after having had a lesson with him. Not exactly what we were originally looking for, but we're optimistic about having a good time in Les Arcs! Smile
snow report
DaKid wrote:
we're optimistic about having a good time in Les Arcs! Smile

You will. We went last year, on several recommendations, and absolutely loved it. Stayed in Charvet just above Arc 1800, which is ski in/ski out.
snow report
Obergurgl, Hochgurgl, Hochsoelden, Oberlech will all tick your boxes, even some places in Ischgl
latest report
I think robrar's appartment will be ideal (have seen the photos and location). Les Arcs would be a better resort than Val T for the skiing you are looking for I think. I found the reds easier in les arcs than the red link between val thorens and the 3 valleys. Arc 1800 is a good base to make the most of the area too. Hope you have a great time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy