Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I find suitable ski lessons in Lake Louise?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi everyone, happy new year to you!

I'm going to Lake Louise next week with Mr Snowqueen, but I'm having difficulty finding a ski school that has a to suit. The ski school based in LL seems to offer either a one off 2 hour session (where for multiple days you don't get a discount, nor can you be guaranteed the same instructor), or a 3 full day programme starting on the Sunday (we arrive on the Saturday).

This is not really suitable, as Mr Snowqueen is a beginner, and would really just like to book a 5 day, morning ski programme starting on the Monday

While he's doing this, I'd like some higher level guiding or instruction, so that I don't have to ski by myself. The ski school have advised the only way of doing this is by booking private lessons.

I guess I'm just a bit surprised they don't have a wider range of products, for higher end skills training, or for beginners, does anyone know of any other ski schools in the area? Or am I just too used to Alpine ski schools?

thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're used to the European method whereby you need 5 days to learn how to do the most basic of wedge turns.

LL school is excellent. The three day course will do your husband fine - he'll be on blue runs by the end of it with any luck because at this time of year the groups will be tiny and it'll be like virtual private instruction. This 3 day course will of course offer the same instructor each and every day - I would recommend Jon Abrahams (a guy from London relocated to Banff). If you don't wish to commit to all day but want to save some money you can book the "first tracks" lessons from 8:30-10 am - great value. Finally, YES you *do* get a discount if you make repeat bookings - ask, then ask again! Very Happy

For you, I'd recommend going in at level 6 and asking for Patrick (French guy) - he will take you down runs you're unlikely to tackle on your own - perhaps even head first over a corniche... Embarassed . I'm not quite sure why you didn't think there was "higher level guiding or instruction" because the ski school caters for all levels.

If however you don't wish to pay - ski with the "ski friends" group who meet at 10 am and 1:30 pm (IIRC) - they top group there tend to ski like poo-poo off a shovel.

If you want to go back-country you're probably better off heading in to BC for a day or two.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi Alexandra,

thank you for the info - this sounds great! The website only shows ski school for levels 1 - 3 or so, so I think what may have happened is that we've spoken to perhaps the wrong person on the end of the phone - we'll phone again!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As per Alexandra - don't under estimate the Lake Louise "Friends" if you don't want any instruction but just want someone to ski with and show you the best places to go. They are free and are very good skiers who can go anywhere in-bounds. When ever I visit a resort in Canada for the first time I make a habit of looking them up as it is an excellent way to be shown round.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowqueen11, on this page http://skilouise.com/rentals-and-lessons/adult-programs.php you will find the "3 DAY SKI AND SNOWBOARD MOUNTAIN EXPERIENCE" which caters for levels 3-5 - for some reason they no longer do level 6 in a group.

I also note that first tracks is now 2 hours rather than 90 minutes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I learnt to ski there 8 years ago... had never tried it before. Did a 3 day group with an Aussie lass and were hitting blues and reds by the 3rd day. 4th day we just headed off and skied all over the place before the conditions improved and it was back to the climbing trip. Now look at me... a total addict snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowqueen11, Very good instructors available in LL. I also skied with the local volunteer hosts whilst o/h was having lessons. Great fun and some very good skiers. As above... they meet twice a day.

Not sure where you're staying but you should get up to the main lodge early one morning and have breakfast there. Or do the first tracks thing. Should be just about daylight when the lifts start to open. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowqueen11, LL is great and the ski school pretty good. In North America people are not usually in resort from Saturday to Saturday - and the system reflects it. You will find that they run different classes and clinics and swapping from one instructor to another is no biggie - and for you as Alexandra says the "friends' are good fun to ski with and free. I think they may have stopped doing some of the more gnarly stuff a few years back - but I have done much of the steeper LL terrain with them ( ie 40-45 degrees - bumps - powder - trees etc).

The school will also have top level lessons too. Generally in North America it often works to do a group top level lesson and you will often find it is just you and one other punter and the instructor. Go for it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for the 'friends' . Most canadian resorts have them and they are a great way of finding ski companions who can show you where the best snow is etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother wrote:
I think they may have stopped doing some of the more gnarly stuff a few years back - but I have done much of the steeper LL terrain with them ( ie 40-45 degrees - bumps - powder - trees etc).

Last I knew they'd stopped doing black runs - an insurance thing I think - but often can find ways around like pointing you off down a run they can't take you on, then meeting you further down having gone a different way Smile They're mega friendly and stand by the piste maps at the tops of lifts, all volunteers IIRC and can point out some runs for you on the map even if you're not going to ski with them.

Oh and another vote for ski school, they're a great (but slightly mad!) bunch, I recommend Jenny Eaton, another ex-pat from London
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alexandra wrote:
The three day course will do your husband fine - he'll be on blue runs by the end of it with any luck because at this time of year the groups will be tiny and it'll be like virtual private instruction.

First year hubby and I booked (mid-end Jan) there was just the two of us in our group, so literally had a private lesson for 3 full days but at the cost of a group lesson, sweet! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saskew, stoatsbrother,

I think they now may do blacks, for the right skiers. Maybe something Charlie locke reinstated when he bought it back from RCR (along with the kickers)?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gryphea wrote:
saskew, stoatsbrother,

I think they now may do blacks, for the right skiers. Maybe something Charlie locke reinstated when he bought it back from RCR (along with the kickers)?

Good to hear - it's a great sevice.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy