Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head iSupershape Magnum V Salomon X-Wing Tornado

Poster: A snowHead
Which do you prefer and why?.....I'm going to St Anton in 3 weeks and need new skis.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For St Anton go fatter...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, ....suggestions ???
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go for the iSupershape Titan in my opinion (http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/1981/products/i_Supershape_Titan_.aspx) Just done a week in Morzine area with these, little wider for good float but a stupidly low turning radius for putting in those sharp, short turns. I found these skis just pushing me onwards all the time, almost saying "is that all you've got" to me at each turn. Felt really solid underfoot too. Can't recommend this ski enough, and it deserves its Piste Ski Of The Year status. Something is going on with that chip in the back too, coming out of the turns the rear of the skis were rock solid in hard snow/ice allowing you to really feel the control out of the turn before flicking them over to the other edge. Flattered my carving for sure. Think of it as a Magnum with more versatility.

Hope that helps,

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, you don't go to Anton for piste skiing, so I'd go for at least an 80mm waist ski. Dynastar Sultan 85 or Supershape Titan would be good bets if you still want the piste bias.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
clarky999, you don't go to Anton for piste skiing
Some of us do, or will be in a week Little Angel Agree the Sultan 85 is netter when mixing it up though, a classy ski. Titan was suprisingly good on the two days we had snow between runs though, but as with the Magnum is very much a piste based ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have skied both and I think the clear winner is the Salomon.

I skied the 166. Overall it's just a fun ski. its quick from edge to edge, finished turns nicely with enough snap (at least for someun up fo probably 195 lbs/14stone), can be pushed really hard and keeps digging even through crud, goes from tight slalom turns to swooping GS carves and back again very happily, and has good float in powder. if you want a little more float, then go for the size up (if you are of simiar shape to me)

I presume you mean the Tornado Ti (the white one) - as they still make the straight up Tornado with the wood graphic.
There is also the Tornado TI Plate. which tightens the flex the harder you push it and gets rave reviews (can't wait to try em)

for perspective, I am 6'0", 12st3, with pack though, more like 13st2 and am an aggressive skier (ex racer - love speed and everything from really tight turns to hight speed carves and playing in the pow and bumps)

What sort of skier are you and what sort of terrain are you likely do ski (and how frequently). 80 underfoot will be sufficient width for most things.

On this i dont understand is why people (clearly being goaded on by marketing...) seems to think going wider and wider every year is a necessity. Just a few years back people were saying a the best all mountain (50/50 - on/off piste) ski would be 75-80 underfoot. now things are edging to the high 80's and 90s. need i remind the experienced (though marketing swayed) skiers out there that we all used to float very happily on 65 waisted 185s and 195s just over a decade ago......
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

There is also the Tornado TI Plate. which tightens the flex the harder you push it and gets rave reviews (can't wait to try em)

Discontinued a the end of the 09/10 Season,

First things first I do promo work for Slaomon. Got to try the Head thanks to Robrar in Hemel one Sat.

Have skied them both and its very close between the two both great skis do exactly what they say on the tin and do it well. Great on piste skis that will do bumps and the little bit close to the side of the piste quite well.

In the right hands they will do pretty much everything well.

To be honest either or will be perfect if you are planning on doing mostly piste stuff in Anton. - If you are looking for something a little wider

Salomon Enduro and Atomic Nomad are qute tasty
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fattes13, quadwould, The only time I've ever really been off piste is accidently!!...I'm dying to have a go of it but my previous skis were bought on the premise that I was a predominantly on-piste skier.

I'm 5' 11" & 13 stone...I've been skiing every year for the past 14 years..I'm sure my technique is extremely flawed, but I'm confident on everything, I'm not too keen on moguls so I don't go hunting them.....so all in all I love to cruise but I always love to pace it up every now and again.

Oh and quadwould, you're quite correct they are the Ti ones...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dazman, I tried the Magnums on the strength of positive reviews here, but was unimpressed. The Tornado Ti on the other hand was about the most impressive Salomon I've skied. I'm about the same dimensions as you (on a good day wink ).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andyph, How were you unimpressed??...dull? unresponsive??....and what's impressed you about the Tornado?

Sorry for being a pain in the swissroll lads, but you all know how much research you need to put into getting new planks??....when I think back to the good old pig ignorance days where I just walked into a shop in Val Thorens and after a brief chat I was handed my new skies and away I went.......jaysus, ignorance was bliss back then.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Magnums, magnums, magnums!!!!!!
Whoever says the Salomon, works for Salomon!
If you buy the Tornado's over the Magnums then you need your head checked!!!!
Done!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh for the record, have skiied both on many occassions!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jimmythefoot, I think you will find i reccomended both and I work for Salomon.

For ON PISTE the Tornado is a fine ski with very few flaws as is hte ISupershape.

dazman, for what you are looking for both of these skis are almost identical!

At this stage it is probably just which colour you prefer! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fattes13, Identical, hmmm not so sure about that.
Interesting that the KERS and intelligence system in the Tornado's is really good too, oh no, wait, it isn't even there!
Again, nothing wrong with the Tornados, but of you are a better skiier then the Magnums hands down!
Also, you mentioned that you tried the Magnums at Hemel, which does them no justice.
As well as other runs I skiied them both on the downhill run in Bormio, slightly longer run TBF
snow conditions
dazman, another thread just reminded of the Elan range. Check out the Waveflex range (or whatever they call them now) if you want to spend some time off piste.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy