Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help for a St Anton addict... Kitzbühel? Stubai?

Poster: A snowHead
My New Year resolution is to ski in new places this year, so I need a bit of help finding a substitute for St Anton for a trip in mid Feb...

Ideally I'd like to go to Austria (can't do Ischgl or Lech/Zürs due to the above mentioned resolution). I'd also consider Switzerland (but not Davos/Klosters, Zermatt, Verbier or Engelberg for the same reason). Not France though (nothing against France, but I've skied there so much I want to steer clear for now, and I've already booked a long weekend in La Clusaz)

So, given my self imposed restrictions, is there anywhere that can approach St Anton for quality of skiing?

The skiing is my main concern - I want a decent altitude, good steep terrain and large area.
Idealy I'd also like nice mountain restaurants, nice village and not too expensive.
Nightlife is not an issue, I don't have the energy for anything more than a pint in the evening after dinner...Sad

I was thinking of Kitzbühel, but am put off by the lack of altitude - how is the snow so far this year, is it a good bet for mid Feb?
Stubai looks interesting, it seems to have the height, does anyone have any tips on where to stay in this area?
Anywhere else?

Any tips gratefully received!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nowhere close to St Anton / Lech for skiing quality in Austria.

Kitz and Stubai are for beginners.

Go to St Moritz or Saas Fee in Switzerland, Jackson Hole or Aspen in the US, or Whistler in Canada.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold wrote:
Nowhere close to St Anton / Lech in Austria for skiing quality.

Go to St Moritz or Saas Fee in Switzerland, Jackson Hole or Aspen in the US, or Whistler in Canada.

I should have said, Jackson and Whistler are off limits too:-) I had thought of Aspen but I'll probably stick to Europe, maybe go to Aspen next year though.

Will take a look at St Moritz and Saas Fee, thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Nowhere close to St Anton / Lech for skiing quality in Austria

+1 wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

Nowhere close to St Anton / Lech for skiing quality in Austria

+1 wink

That may be true (I am actually 100% sure it is true), but it's not helpful!!! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Samnaun ? wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro wrote:
Samnaun ? wink

Same areas as Ischgl, so can't do that... Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

That may be true (I am actually 100% sure it is true), but it's not helpful

OK, 4 Vallees (Verbier area but stay in nendaz and ski round) fantastic and also challenging, and also Ischgl is great. Kitzbuhel is great also, but not a patch on Arlberg. Espace Killy also excellent but none as good as Arlberg IMO. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:
That's just wildly inaccurate and ignorant, well done again.

Would generally agree with others though that best in Austria for steep etc is St Anton.

No mention of Italy. What about Alagna?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about Saalbach? I am considering this as an alternative to St. Anton (although the terrain seems not super steep), apres-ski should be great though. I also heard great things about Wengen, but must investigate this further.

Do you want off piste? Have you considered Italy (good food!)?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

That may be true (I am actually 100% sure it is true), but it's not helpful

OK, 4 Vallees (Verbier area but stay in nendaz and ski round) fantastic and also challenging, and also Ischgl is great. Kitzbuhel is great also, but not a patch on Arlberg. Espace Killy also excellent but none as good as Arlberg IMO. wink

Shocked

Oh dear.. Can't do Verbier, Ischgl or Espace Killy due to my NY resolution. And I agree with you, none are as good as the Arlberg.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
That's just wildly inaccurate and ignorant, well done again.

Would generally agree with others though that best in Austria for steep etc is St Anton.

No mention of Italy. What about Alagna?

Well, I've skied Gressoney before, but I may allow myself to go to Alagna, especially as the new lift has been installed since I was last there. Technicaly this may be violating my resolution, but I'll ponder it some more. To be honest I have had pretty iffy snow in this area before now, but it should go on the list I think Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eyeopener wrote:
How about Saalbach? I am considering this as an alternative to St. Anton (although the terrain seems not super steep), apres-ski should be great though. I also heard great things about Wengen, but must investigate this further.

Do you want off piste? Have you considered Italy (good food!)?

Cool, I'll put Saalbach and Wengen on my list. Thanks!

Yes, I do want off piste... And I want Piste to Powder to expand in to more resorts so that I can carry on skiing with them when I'm not in St Anton Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You are closing down your choices here! I would add Arabba and Cortina in Italy and Flims/Laax in Switzerland to your list. People tell me that Andermatt (also in Switzerland) is also worth a go for its wonderful off-piste.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skihopper wrote:
You are closing down your choices here! I would add Arabba and Cortina in Italy and Flims/Laax in Switzerland to your list. People tell me that Andermatt (also in Switzerland) is also worth a go for its wonderful off-piste.

Arabba and the Dolomites look great, but I worry about the lack of snow there... WIll add Flims/Laax to my list for further investigation.

Andermatt is already on a different list of mine - "places to go with a guide and my touring gear" wink
snow report
Flims/Laax is decent.

Val d'Anniviers is lovely though you would be better off with transport if you want to include the big area part of it as it is made up of relatively small non linked areas.

Never been to the Gasteinertal but it sounds promising.
snow report
La Grave, Chamonix, Krippenstein, Mayrhofen/Hochfugen?

Saalbach is fun, but not really the best place for offpiste.

Whoever said the Stubai is for beginners is an idiot Laughing
snow report
Hmmm... Krippenstein... thats a new one on me. Tell me more... Smile
ski holidays
sah, was just about to suggest Krippenstein...

White Rush

Krippenstein Freeride Arena

Here's what Powder magazine had to say...

And Skiing magazine (link is a bit dodgy)...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 4-01-11 18:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Four of us skied Flachau and Wagrain (part of Ski Amade area) in mid-December.

Admittedly we had 3 days of powder/fantastic snow but it's definitely an area that we all want to go back to. To put that into perspective, we've skied 130-odd ski areas worldwide and were seriously impressed. The lift system is excellent (modern and fast, including some heated chairs with covers) and the skiing is very extensive and varied. We stayed in Flachau, which is a lovely little town with some decent bars and restaurants - not on the St Anton scale of liveliness though. Wagrain is very nice too - quite rustic.
ski holidays
Thanks all, some very useful info here. Glad I asked!

I'm now thinking Ski Amade (maybe Flachau) with at least a day trip to Krippenstein - from the map that looks do-able at least.

The trip I'm planning right now is for me and my OH, so although I want a bit of off piste she is not into anything too serious... but Krippenstein is going on my "other" list (along with Alagna, La Grave, Andermatt and Engelberg) for "further investigation".

Getting excited now... better see about flights to Salzburg. Anyone flown Air Berlin by the way? Any horror stories?

nozawaonsen, thanks for those links... interesting reading. clarky999, is Krippenstein a bit of an Austrian version of La Grave? I notice you mentioned them in the same sentence Smile
snow report
sah, Gaschurn, in Montafon Valley, not so far from St Anton, good skiing for all level, If U like powder its a nice place
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

Laughing

What a ridiculous comment.
snow report
Quote:

Whitegold wrote:

I can go there with U, and U will blame your mother that you are born wink
latest report
Quote:

nozawaonsen, thanks for those links... interesting reading. clarky999, is Krippenstein a bit of an Austrian version of La Grave? I notice you mentioned them in the same sentence

I haven't skied either of them (YET!!), but from what I've been told it seems to be. I was in the Krippenstein area yesterday with fresh snow, but my bloody gf had to get back to Foehn-ruined Innsbruck - NOT happy!!! I'll be making the trip over at some point this season though for sure, as she has family who live nearby.
snow report
Quote:

Try skiing the Steilhang on Hahnenkamm and then if you feel the same I owe you a beer - one of the most exhilerating runs I have EVER done, Kitzbuhel is a classic place and should NEVER be dissed as easy, I agree withLeeds_Skier andfreeheelskier, ! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Markymark29, Tbh nothing on the Hahnenkamm route is particularly hard (definitely doesn't deserve it's 'extreme ski route' status), and from the limited time I've spent in Kitz most of the skiing was fairly mellow. Stubaital is a totally different kettle of fish though, if someone can only see begginner skiing there then it's just 'cos they aren't good enough to spot the better lines.
ski holidays
clarky999, the Hahnenkamm just after the race is particularly hard. I spent some time sliding down the Steilhang and can assure you it's one of the least fun things I've ever done Sad
I don't know why people have this view of Kitz as being for beginners. There are plenty of steeps and tons of really nice off piste runs. Great place, my second fav in Austria after the Arlberg. The other big advantage is that it rarely gets really full, unlike St.Anton.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, I've booked flights to Salzburg with Air Berlin (skis go free on that route too, which is nice). Thinking of staying in the Altenmarkt area but hiring a car for exploration around the area... still not ruled out Kitzbuehel yet though... So much skiing, so little time off work (and cash)...
snow conditions
Steilhang, +1 Exactly!
snow report
Quote:

I don't know why people have this view of Kitz as being for beginners

Steilhang, I think I have the answer! its beacause there is alot of people went there only for the great aprés ski, and not realy know how to ski, Kitz is a realy a nice place, to make party in, and also to ski Very Happy
snow report
Steilhang, I'm sure when it's race-prepped it's horrible to ski, but it isn't like that most of the time. Don't get me wrong though I had a lot of fun offpiste in Kitz, just most of what I saw/skied was fairly low stress - I've only spent a week there though so I'm far from an expert on the place!
latest report
I'd also say Kitzbuhel was very short on challenging skiing - though fine for intermediates (I used to ski there but stopped long ago). The race course is certainly challenging and took me a couple of minutes longer than the OK at Val d'Isere - but one race course doesn't make a resort. (By the way some of the most difficult bits are off-piste outside the race period)
Verbier seems to me your best bet - big area and lots of challenges available (though it is a bit expensive - partly because the Swiss exchange rate is bad at present). Why do you say it is against your NY resolution? I thought you said Switzerland was OK.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-01-11 12:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
I'd also say Kitzbuhel was very short on challenging skiing (I used to ski there but stopped long ago).
Verbier seems to me your best bet - big area and lots of challenges available (though it is a bit expensive - partly because the Swiss exchange rate is bad at present). Why do you say it is against your NY resolution? I thought you said Switzerland was OK.

My resolution is to go to new places... I've skied Verbier before, and a lot of the big French resorts. I'd prefer Austria too because of the exchange rate (the EUR is bad but the CHF is crippling). And anyway, I've booked flights to Salzburg now:-)

I guess my question should have been phrased as "is there anywhere in Austria that is nearly as good as St Anton?".

Anyway, there's been some very useful suggestions and discussion, so I'm very gratefull, and I'm not ruling out Verbier for the future. I've never managed to hit Verbier when there was powder, but I did have a fantastic day of spring skiing there many years ago and I loved it. Purely by chance I met an old ski bum friend on the lift one morning and he took me all over the place, I have no idea where I went (I remember at one point skiing between avalanche barriers) but it was incredible.
ski holidays
sah, have you looked into Gerlos? Matt from http://www.skiingaustria.co.uk/ loves it there
ski holidays
One for left field - Montafon. Cheap - plenty for a week's skiing and good off piste. Not many Brits either.

Obergurgl - high, good off piste but a smaller area. Loads for a week though. Bloody expensive though...
ski holidays
Quote:

I guess my question should have been phrased as "is there anywhere in Austria that is nearly as good as St Anton?".

Lech/ Zurs!! wink

If you have seriously ruled out Ischgl, St Anton, Lech/ Zurs I'd be heading to Kitzbuhel or driving round to Garmisch/ Warth area - always thought about doing this area (backs onto Lech and only accessible from German side)..............its on the Lech piste map shown dotted.

Good time to go to Garmisch P, just after the Worlds, good buzz about.
latest report
fatirishman wrote:
One for left field - Montafon. Cheap - plenty for a week's skiing and good off piste. Not many Brits either.

Obergurgl - high, good off piste but a smaller area. Loads for a week though. Bloody expensive though...

Will certainly look at Montafon at some point; probably not on this trip though as I am now flying in to Salzburg.

The "bloody expensive" bit puts me off Obergurgl...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy