Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile - Practical Info

Poster: A snowHead
The resort's website seems to have a high proportion of links to pages that cannot be found, and when pages are found they are missing information that would be useful when planning a holiday. Therefore, I'm hoping that a Snowhead or two would be able to help with some practical information (at least based on the assumption that things will continue as last year).

Does anyone know what time the lifts start running in the morning? The reason for asking is that the ski school offers lessons from 9am, but if the lifts only open at 9am also it would be difficult to get to the lesson on time.

Secondly, how frequently do the free shuttle buses run?

Thirdly, are there any boot and ski rental shops that you can recommend?

Finally, are there any lockers that can be rented next to the ski lifts?

Many thanks,
Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think they will update their website before 'proper winter' as it seems a bit glitchy at the mo.

Lifts start around 845 iirc, and the Les Suches gondola gets you up to the main ski area to access the major part of La Thuile (you get off the Gondola and onto one of the chairlifts depending on where you want to go). As you walk out of the lift station look up and to the right, you will see Lo Ratrak mountain restaurant. Under here is https://www.onlyski.eu/ who are very good imo (they are in the basement). I dont use them for skis much but do rent their lockers as i have my own skis. If you rent skis from them i think you get lockers FOC. They have a location in the village but it can be busy however they will deliver kit to your hotel or to the lockers. The rental guy here Daniele is well sound and speaks really good english. We rent lockers then change out of gear at the end of the day into normal boots rather than walking around in ski boots. Its a lot easier and they are not expensive.

Don't know about buses am afraid, but its a small village unless you are at the bottom of the village by the Miramonti, then you might want to look into this further as it would be a pain to walk in ski boots. Where are you staying?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 4-11-18 15:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meant to say....there are 2 ski schools. One is next to Lo Ratrak at the top of Les Suches...you literally walk past it to Lo Ratrak. Timing works perfectly with the lockers and the lifts for 9. My other half had lessons at 9 last time we were in La Thuile. There is another ski school at the bottom of the Bosco express Lift and the Les Suches gondola in front of the little swaure at the Planibel residence. This you can walk to without taking a lift at all.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for all the info.

We're staying at Hotel Locanda Collomb (Frazione Bathieu 51, 11016 La Thuile). As the crow flies it does not look too far from the lifts, but that depends on being able to cut through the back of a supermarket (which may not be possible). According to Google Maps it's 950m walk on roads, which would not be fun in ski boots, with skis and with teenagers in tow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad to help!

Might be asking if your hotel has a transfer bus?
If not i really do recommend getting one of the lockers i do. That way you can walk from your hotel in normal boots without carry skis (and your wifes and teenagers skis to boot) then go up in the gondola. Walk the 50m to the lockers, get your gear and head out without breaking a sweat.

I got fed up of carrying my other halfs skis so we rent the locker nowdays, and they are heated too so gear will dry inside.

Its a great resort, when you off? Am just planning a trip for xmas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@wsirhc, bit of a schlep with skis and boots (your hotel is up a small hill). I'd investigate the lockers, as Sweedish suggested. You can cut through the car park and Planibel complex to get to the lifts - that's no problem. La Lisse restaurant just down the road from you is OK, too. La Thuile is a great resort - under-rated, in my opinion. IIRC, lifts start at about 0845, which is OK for a 0900 ski lesson. There's quite a few trip reports on La Thuile on here somewhere. We rented from the shop at the bottom of the lift (Berthod Sport). They have lockers for people hiring from them. Kit was a bit meh though and the binding settings were far too high. Kit from Only Ski looked better, to be honest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From memory there is a ski bus at least every 30 mins. Lifts always open early enough to get to ski school. Great resort, have fun.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The pass at the top of the mountain looks like it might be shut or shutting soon. Plenty of snow up there. V exciting!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been checking the webcam lately and its been foggy with poor visibility a lot, still at least its not lacking snow:>
It's a great place in the sun but can be pretty bleak and cold on a bad day as its so open.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Sweedish, spot on. get down in them trees when the clouds drop
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dobby wrote:
@Sweedish, spot on. get down in them trees when the clouds drop

I love runs 18 ans 17 especially in the treeline... Cool

But the top of chaz dura on a windy cold day is a test of your winter gear Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sweedish, I know what you mean. we had a white out day on Chaz dura. couldn't see anything. Had to ski by feel. Kids sent me ahead to test the steepness of the piste. Worked well for them. Not for me.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for all the replies and advice.

@Sweedish: We're going to be in La Thuile Feb 2019, for half-term week.

Any other advice / tips would be most gratefully received.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wsirhc, I've done a TR on La Thuile - lots of info in that
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@wsirhc, it will be busy half term but surprisingly much quieter than across the border??

Fog can be a problem, I have know it to be foggy around Les Suches but in sunshine at SAN Bernardo express and into France? It must depend on where the slight breeze is coming from. Worth looking at webcams if foggy.
Most slopes are well groomed moguls are generally not found on pistes until late in day. Some runs have tricky sections depending on your ability. The blacks into resort can be good entertainment.
latest report
TR here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3200246#3200246
ski holidays
We rented Skis from Berthold Sport under the main gondola. They provided facilities to lock skis away at night. I found them convenient for getting to the slopes easily. The shops was absolutely rammed most mornings and evenings though.
We booked Ski School on arrival as we were staying odd days over Xmas.
scuolascilathuile.it was over the road from the Rental Place and easy enough to get the kids to with all their equipment. They seemed happy enough
As a family we ate at Taverna Coppapan & Pizzeria Le Dahu which was very good (albeit pricey) La Lisse for Pizzas was great too. The Chocolate Shop was good for Adult drinks and sugar for the kids post skiing. (It was quite busy)
On the mountain for elevenses there is a place on the Ponteilles Run near where Le Dune meets it that does phenomenal Hot Chocolate (again.. sugar for kids) I think it was called Off Shore
Up on the border with France there is a Restaurant called Bar San Bernado where I had amazing Rabbit if you're into that sort of thing.
Overall we had a great trip there
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy