Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA Mixed group of 6

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Looking for some info on USA resorts in and around Colorado, six of us have a flights for Denver going out in February for two weeks we have two very good skiers two fairly novice skiers and two non skiers looking for somewhere with plenty of things to do away from the slopes in the day and a good if not crazy apres scene. We have been looking at Breckenridge if anyone has any ideas it would be apprecaited. we are looking for self-catering accom.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Breck would be a good choice. Main Street is lined with Victorian buildings and is, IMO, quite charming. Lots of dining, drinking, and shopping options. There's easy novice terrain on Peak 9, though it can get fairly crowded. The lower part of Peak 7 is pretty much all low intermediate terrain with lots of rollers. The tops of Peaks 7 and 8 offer open bowls and chutes that should challenge almost anyone. There's quite a bit of tree skiing. If you have a car you can easily ski Copper, Keystone, and Arapahoe Basin. I'm pretty sure there's a bus that would take you to Keystone and Arapahoe Basin. You can probably get to Copper by bus but I'm guessing it would be a pretty painful excursion requiring at least 1 bus transfer in Frisco. Keep in mind that you're at high elevation. The base of Breckenridge is around 9,600 feet. The base villages at Keystone and Copper are smaller and purpose built. I think you'd like staying in Breck better. I've not been but you could consider Steamboat. By reputation it should meet most of your needs though it's not reputed to offer much real steep terrain. It is reputed to offer some of the best tree skiing in the U.S. And you might want to look at the Aspen area with access to 4 areas (Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass, and Buttermilk). Telluride is another place I've not been but, based on reputation, would really like to visit. For 2 weeks I might try to do 2 bases. E.g., Steamboat for a week (Steamboat is considerably lower and would give folks a chance to acclimate) and then somewhere else for a week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that think we will head to brekenridge and maybe one other resort for a few nights thinking of having a couple of nights in denver so might just do the one resort stay and drive out to some of the others.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richiavo, Breck is not my favourite resort. Altitude is a real issue there, and also means you get fewer trees. Also check if you are going to be there the President's day weekend which can get busy. (19-21st feb). I'd prefer Steamboat for your group - but cannot tell you much about the current nightlife. It does have some hot springs though. I am not sure the novices would get much out of Aspen. Telluride is a bit of a sod to get to (and the next one on my list).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
winterpark is closest to denver, its good for mixed group
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Breck would be it. If you buy multi-day lift pass, it's good for Keystone, A-basin and (maybe) Vail/Beaver Creek. A-basin would make your "good skiers" happy if they got bored with Breck. While Keystone could also be a good diversion for the novice in the group. The only thing I'm not too sure of, is the non-skier in them. Breck is a good little ski town but it's really not that big. So they might run out of things to do after a day or two.

Vail is another option. It has terrain for both beginer and advance level. It's several times the size of Breck. So the skiers would be all set. The base village of Vail is pretty fake but do have many shops. I've never peek into them so can't comment.

You can easily drive to Vail from Breck, or vice versa.

Aspen is probably the best for your group, if you can stomach the cost. Main Street of Aspen is quite lively. Good places to eat and drink. The skiing is top notch from beginer to advance, even the super-advance will be humbled. They do have to ski on different mountains.

The difference between Aspen and Breck is the crowd vs. the lack of. In Breck, you're probably going to see lift lines if you're going on the later part of Feb. Aspen just never sees lines.

Other resorts highly recommended by others who's been are Winter Park and Steamboat. I've not spend enough time in them so won't comment. They are relatively small mountains though, and you can't easily day trip to other resorts out of either base. So I would put them on a second tier.

Spend your first night at Denver. It helps to get acclimatize to the high elevation. Hold off your drinking until at least 24 hours later. Drinnk lots of water instead. You'll be much happier for the rest of your holidays.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy