Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place to take a 6 & 4 year old

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,
Taking the girls skiing for the first time, where's best
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would heartily recommend a very small resort called Berwang. Check it out. You and they will love it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roughneck,
Loadsa places depneds on budget etc. Puy St Vincent has a strong folowing here and is a very pleasant small resort Kappl is not so well known but also very child friendly with a decent small/medium sized ski area.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trying to go 27th Feb about £3.5k-£4k. What's Esprit like or snowbiz?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't recommend France for that date - French school hols. Austria probably a better bet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Casting my mind back to when mine were that age:

A village with the nursery slopes right in the middle of the resort (i.e. not up the mountain) is a huge advantage, as is ease of access back to the village from the ski area for you to meet this kids at lunchtime and after ski school.

Traffic-free is also a big plus.

Obviously you need a ski-school with a good reputation too.

Went to a place called Filzmoos in Austria that might fit the bill. Pam is right about France - and most of Switzerland too - will be very busy at half-term. I'd normally recommend Wengen (it ticks all the family boxes) but it's just too busy at half-term these days.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roughneck, Plenty of family friendly resorts to choose all over the place. As stated Austria is a good safe bet and should not be as busy as France that week.

Resorts that come to mind are Serfus/Fliss near to Innsbruck and any of the resorts in the Salzburger Ski Amadé region. I'm not sure if Esprit do these resorts though. you could look at the brochures and then shortlist some places and come back and ask again. Mark Warner chalets also get good write-ups for being small child friendly.

On the other hand if you want to DIY it, think of a region and then ask for recommendations. With that budget you will have no problems. In Austria by the way the chances are that the 4 year old will get a free ski pass and in some resorts the 6 year old too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
northantsred, I agree with Berwang, just been there for a week with our 2 kids and really (really) enjoyed it. Much more skiing is avaialble in other Zugspitz areas (Lermoss/Ehrwald etc) on the same ski pass (just a bus ride away) if the skiing within Berwang/Bichelbach is too limiting.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's St Anton or Obergurgl like?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roughneck, not really the right places at that time for young kids or beginners! They will both be very busy and St Anton is not really brilliant for low beginners any way. The blue runs home in the afternoon are more like roller derby stretches, especially when you think that some of the Apres beginning on the mountain.

You would be paying for a lot of things you could not possibly use for your girls. Are you intending to put them in ski school for the whole time, while you ski away to your heart's content? If you are then perhaps you are looking more for yourself and less for your girls Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roughneck,

Obergurgl might be ok actually. Nursery slopes are right in the village and there's no though traffic. St Anton not really suitable for kids - busy, boozy ski town.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are thinking of esprit I think you would be fine in La rosiere that week. We went to la rosiere (not esprit) for New year a couple of years ago which is supposed to be a busy time and the runs were not that crowded (almost empty when we skiied over to la thuile). We have also been to puy st vincent with snow bizz and I'd recommend that too. Their ski school/childcare is excellent.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roughneck, St Anton not the best for beginner kids. Stuben could be a better and queiter alternative - very few folk go there (in relation to St Anton and Lech) so in our experience the ski school teacher to kid ratio was excellent. Remember that ski school in Austria is morning and afternoon, which gives you enough time to explore the skiing around St Anton etc. We paid an extra €10 for our youngest to have lunch with the ski school, each time we all wanted to explore further afield. He had just turned 5 at the time and was able to ski all the way to the Moosewirt Very Happy Very Happy
Serfaus is definitely worth a look though. We're going to Kappl again on Saturday and is an excellent place for families BUT not much else to do, whereas Serfaus has a lot more other activities.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski wrote:
[He had just turned 5 at the time and was able to ski all the way to the Moosewirt Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Obergurgl has very little in the way of piste markers and some pistes eg. towards the top of Hochgurgl can be dangerous when the light is very flat. Also the approach to grooming is different to France and Italy and the pistes are starting to get churned up by late morning - this can be a bonus for competent skiers who might otherwise find it all a bit too easy but it's not ideal for beginners.
snow report
Roughneck, with it being half term it will be a question of choosing from what is available, bearing in mind that will be a bit limited. Just need a list of the best TO's, tell them what you are after and work on that. I don't use TO's so can't provide that list. But I am sure others can.
latest report
Layne

27th Feb is not half term (assuming that is the start date). I think half term for most UK schools is the week before. 27th feb does fall in french school hols which run for a month.
snow conditions
Roughneck, For young kids why not consider Easter. Much warmer, lighter and quieter.
ski holidays
snowymum, oh bug, you're right. Apologies.
snow conditions
having taken our boy skiing every year from 9mnths, with him skiing for the last 3 years ( he is coming up on 7 ) heres my 2 pence worth

we have had him in ski scholl at the following

scheffau - ski kindergarten at the top of the main gondola from town ( with Esprit) - good experience, here although he did not go out of the protected area much
- well organised though as they had food hot drinks in the main resturant as well. they did get the 6 year olds out onto the blue there as well - ok resort for kids

Alp Dhuez - With crystal - OK - skiing for kids seemed to be on one of two blues - which were not too taxing but plenty of scope for different runs to be used

st anton - taught in the little area at the bottom, and on the main blue at the top of the gondola ( we were on the Neiderau edge of town) - sking here not suitable for beginners if they need to get on a slope - with esprit again - good childcare - ski lessons hard for little ones ( let alone beginner adults)

flaine - this turned out to be a gem, good slopes over the three tennis courts in the main area, meant that there was easy areas to learn, also the ski school got themon the blues from the main gondola - this seeemed to be an OK run for beginners - good experience here - with crystal - take advantage of free child placed & free child care

Claviere ( last week) - they were taken up the lower chair onto the 91 blue, and spent most of the time coming down that ( about the only blue that was easy to get to ) - good run - but tended to get busy ( he was wiped out by a kid of 12 on one occasion) - during ski school the run was basically full of the kids so it was OK for them , its fairly long to learn on so plenty of time to practise turns with also the chance for a bit of a run, they were also taken onto a red and a further blue ( 100) which was a bit narrow ( ok for those little skis tho) - good experience here - with crystal - take advantage of free child placed & free child care.

t

th

Have t
snow conditions
http://www.zugspitzarena.com/en/winter/welcome/

http://www.berwang.at/

Check it out, with kids that small you aint going to needs miles of piste and the village is pure chocolate box....
snow conditions
northantsred, how did you discover Berwang, I am sure we were the only Brits in the resort (another plus point!)
latest report
we stayed in Lermoos for the week and had a car so visited all the resorts in the Zugspitz Arena and really liked the area on the whole. Berwang just stands out so vivdly in my memory that if and when I ever have Grandchildren that is the place I will take them to learn to ski. I just fell in love with the village and it was so sunny when we were there that obviously puts a prettier perspective on views... Very Happy
snow conditions
northantsred wrote:
we stayed in Lermoos for the week and had a car so visited all the resorts in the Zugspitz Arena and really liked the area on the whole. Berwang just stands out so vivdly in my memory that if and when I ever have Grandchildren that is the place I will take them to learn to ski. I just fell in love with the village and it was so sunny when we were there that obviously puts a prettier perspective on views... Very Happy

Lordy - The Good Lady and I stayed in Lermoos for Christmas 1995. Our honeymoon earlier in the year had been a tad disrupted by bad weather, so we decided to treat ourselves to a little time away from our newly acquired in-laws. We stayed in the "Hotel Post", and there was a suit of armour, swords and a mace in our room! I was convinced I'd dreampt the whole experience as I'd never found anyone else who'd heard of the place let alone gone there. The stout old lady who ran the hotel took a liking to us and never seemed to charge us more than the equivalent of £2 each for a skinful of local beer each night. Happy days!

We stayed on the terrain in Lermoos, as the weather conveniently arranged for fresh snow overnight most days. F-ing cold on the old single chair out of down-town Lermoos, though, but with dirt cheap gluwheins left, right and centre to compensate. Smile
snow report
Roughneck, definitely recommend Puy Saint Vincent with Snowbizz for that age. It is just so convenient once you are there and that is worth a lot.
snow report
definitely not st anton. "the nursery slopes" there are the one place i've been sent flying-the blue at the top f the main gondola. There aren't many nursery /beginner slopes and they are busy. sorry after that I've only experience of the main resrts in france that you might want to avoid at that time of year
latest report
I've been skiing with Esprit about ten times now and they're fine, probably not as good as Mark Warner but the childcare is good, food is normally OK and the chalets have definetly improved in the last 10 years. We went to La Rosiere last year and stayed in Chalet Arnica, its a nice smallish resort. I'd have thought it was good for beginners, plenty of nice blues and was ski in/ski out. If you want a bigger area to explore while kids are in ski school you can easily take the drag over to Italy and ski that side of the mountain as well.
ski holidays
Roughneck, like binkacat, I've also used Esprit on 3 occasions when my daughter was a similar age, without any problems at all, in La Rosiere. I'd echo the above. I think the company does offer alternatives in Austria (and other French resorts).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having done 5 esprit and 2 snowbizz, I certainly rate the flexibility of staff of snowbizz above those of esprit. Also another one to consider is sainte foy by premier neige as they also have a creche and nursery slopes are in the middle of resort.
snow report
We went the Esprit for the first time in December (our children are 1 and 4). The four year old was in the Spritelets and loved it. I have every intention of going with them again.

We went to Courchevel - Crystal 2000 Hotel and I would highly recommend it.

I have put a bit of review here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=65285

Still intending to a more detailed on.
snow report
Had a good holiday with youngsters a few years ago at Bad Hofgastein. Nice practice area at Angertal.
Stayed in Hotel Paracelsus on a last minute deal.

The village has a large pool/spa and ice skating too.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
We went to Courchevel - Crystal 2000 Hotel and I would highly recommend it.

Good to hear - We're off there in two weeks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy