Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski brakes (final year university project)

Poster: A snowHead
CLOSE THIS PLEASE IM GOING TO RE-THINK BEFORE POSTING Smile

THANKS ANYWAY!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 30-01-11 20:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you having a giraffe. That's probably the most worthless/pointless questionnaire I've seen anywhere. What exactly are you trying to find?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jzBun wrote:
Are you having a giraffe. That's probably the most worthless/pointless questionnaire I've seen anywhere. What exactly are you trying to find?

Agree - Even by the very poor standards of student questionnaires we've had on here before it sets a new low.I particularly love the binary nature of having fallen or not and the skies disconnecting.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agreed, is there a skier out there past their first few runs on the bunny slope who can answer no to number 6, Have you ever fallen while skiing?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After reading this survey I am sure students being responsible for fees is the way forward... we are paying for this people! It looks like too many nights on the jasmin and 0% effort on courswork

I especially like the final comments box asking you to effectivly do the work.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not entirely sure how injuring yourself has anything to do with ski brakes?? and neither does the Din Setting Puzzled
Quote:

What exactly are you trying to find?

+1 on that

I forsee a fantasitc engineering career designing snowdome support decks ahead Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rather than slating the questionnaire, how about we actually give x111jake some help and advice here. daehwons, your comments about uni funding aren't that helpful are they? I wouldn't like to be a student right now. Another example of people posting comments on these forums that you wouldn't say to x111jake face. rolling eyes

x111jake, I have to agree with the others that the questionnaire isn't good. It seams like you either don't ski often, understand what happens during a fall or how the skis settings contribute to this. Everyone who's ever skied has fallen over. You must have an idea of a solution to this problem for example or think you can suggest changes to the current standard design? I must say that when a ski comes off and is on it's side, it can slide a long way down a steep piste before stopping. How would you attach a new design to the skis? Some things to think about. Maybe it's worth speaking to folk like Spyderjon, see if he thinks it's a worthwhile project.

Uni projects are hard to get off the ground, I should know I've done 2, first one was rubbish and i'll never do it again. Good luck with it.

Kersh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kersh wrote:
Rather than slating the questionnaire, how about we actually give x111jake some help and advice here. daehwons, your comments about uni funding aren't that helpful are they? I wouldn't like to be a student right now. Another example of people posting comments on these forums that you wouldn't say to x111jake face. rolling eyes

My comments are not helpfull to the question but it is my point of view on the situation and this being a public forum that people voice their views and opinions I will leave it in.

As for saying to someones face.... of course I would say the exact thing(well unless jake is 6 foot tall and crazy looking)

I wouldnt like to be a student now either.... in fact when I had the opportunity I chose not to be even though it was the easy way out as getting a job was hard at the time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kersh,
Quote:
Rather than slating the questionnaire, how about we actually give x111jake some help and advice here. daehwons, your comments about uni funding aren't that helpful are they? I wouldn't like to be a student right now. Another example of people posting comments on these forums that you wouldn't say to x111jake face.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

x111jake If I met you I'd say exactly the same thing. Sorry, but there it is.

By the way, what experience of skiing do you have?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kersh, this is a THIRD year university student. That survey doesn't even deserve printing off to use as bumwipe Evil or Very Mad

I'd give it plenty of time if it were an O'level design and technology kid.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
x111jake, that would be acceptable for a year 9 school questionnaire but at your level it is a lazy & poor effort, which shows very little knowledge of the subject. We probably get one questionnaire a month linked to here for someone's coursework. This is the worst yet. What university are you at?

Kersh, the questionnaire shows such a total lack of understanding of the issue that I think trying to help him is pointless.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother,

x111jake wrote:
I am currently at Sheffield Hallam University
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scotia, missed that... Embarassed

He certainly isn't a credit to it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
scotia, missed that... Embarassed

He certainly isn't a credit to it.

Fair enough.... stoatsbrother put as much effort into reading the thread as was put into making the questionaire wink

The more I read the thread and think about it (Yes, despite my unhelpful comments I guess on a certain level I do want to help) I am thinking that there is a definate lack of planning and research right from the start... If you look at ski brakes and the development over the years then here it is

1) no brakes - feet strapped to ski with no release binding
2) Strap - worked good but having a 6 foot bit of wood and metal fixed to you was not good and you had to undoo to take ski off
3) Sprung brake - Used today, development includes side retraction and plastic "shovel" to dig into snow

Modern brakes used today are near enough the same for 30 years

Ski tech and development has not stopped in 30 years so even without knowledge I would say binding companies have researched and not found a better way to do it. So unless you are an inventor and have researched new high friction coatings or some geometric design that grips ice then I don't think you are going to solve any problems. In fact the only problem is when you loose a ski and its uphill and you have nobody uphill to retrieve it so you go walking up

My new advice is to ditch the idea and have a good rethink / do some research
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't believe students are allowed to tell people doing these things what uni they are at. I can't say I held Sheffield Hallam in high regard, but I'd be interested in whether you can actually get any meaningful results out of a survey like this. It can't look good for the uni to have students producing this kind of survey. I'd have got my fingers cut off by my tutor for even suggesting this as a survey, let alone putting it on the internet.

Well, other than from the last question where you want us to basically do the ideas bit for you.

If ski brakes were ripe for improving, you can bet your bottom dollar that ski companies would have done it, and upped their price for it. They have massive research and development departments looking for ways to improve this kind of thing and get the edge on the competition. The current design works well enough for everyone right now, so I can't answer your last question. Therefore I can't submit my survey. That means you've lost the data from me and people who feel the same way as me.

You really need to avoid mandatory questions in this kind of questionnaire. Partly because people on the internet are lazy.
snow report
Sorry for wasting your time guys i put this together fairly quickly for a trial at firstly using the the survey software. and trying to look into ski brakes as in the past i never found them to work 100% of the time and wanted to try and do i project i was interested in.

originally i didnt really know what type of project i wanted to do, exceprt i wanted to to something what interests me and was a fairly novice skiier having only been on snow 3-4 times on rentals, but having recently bought my own skiis, and having just returned from vt myself, i know exactly what your all on about!! there goes my idea :/ Sad

cheers anyway!
snow report
daehwons, I think that's a fair summary of x111jake's idea for a project. Having thought about it myself this afternoon, anything above when we have at the moment will either add weight and/or be more complex so more likely to fail.

x111jake, given you ski experience, i'm surprised at the questions you were asking. However, I'm sure we can come up with an idea for a project .... although maybe we should PM you the ideas so they don't get nicked by the ski companies reading the forums. Off the top of my head I can think of some great ideas to solve problems surrounding skiing like Cat Tracks and Ski Web. Whatever you decide to do, do your research and be really critical of your project before you start gathering data through a questionnaire.

Kersh
snow conditions
Thanks, would really appreciate that! and yes, i take your points seriously and know how stupid this questionnaire sounded! thanks anyway!
snow report
x111jake wrote:
as in the past i never found them to work 100% of the time

What situations?

I have seen only a couple of times when the brake didnt do its job.... Steep icy slope, but to be honest the person that fell ended up farther down below the ski and a very fast fall but I don't think anything "new" would have helped stop the "projectile"
ski holidays
yea i suppose, but also have to think back to the brakes maybe being worn, but not to sure as i cant say i took much notice back then! maybe i was a little naive to think that the current ski brakes could be improved!
latest report
Yep, only times I can think breaks didn't stop the skis right away were wipeouts doing the wrong side side of 50kmh and no brake is going to help when the ski is doing cartwheels!
snow report
x111jake wrote:
yea i suppose, but also have to think back to the brakes maybe being worn, but not to sure as i cant say i took much notice back then! maybe i was a little naive to think that the current ski brakes could be improved!

good point, hire ski = worn out, maybe there is room for dev using replaceable ends, or bits that dont wear out

of course my brakes are not work as they never get used Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy