Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Advanced skier Binding?

Poster: A snowHead
What binding should I buy for this coming season ? It needs to be stiff no play, little as possible torsional flex and give great edge control for very aggressive skiers ! It definately has to be a high end durable piece of equipment. What do you think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
huckingfellers, I'm a fan of Look bindings because I believe their turntable heel fixing is the safest. I've also found them to be very durable and reliable. They have the added advantage of being easy to lock into, which is not always the case in deep snow. Their top model the 14 has a very high DIN setting as well.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 22-06-05 8:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Defo go for Look pivots. If im not mistaken the rossi bindings are exactly the same too. They also do a binding that has a din of 18 which comes in handy if you are an aggressive 7'4 32 stone skier
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep Look/Rossi pivot ones, they have high elasticity which means that the binding moves but hold you in rather than releasing, good when a landing doesn't go quite right (but you still want/need your skis on) or in heavy pow. Salomon bindings apparently also have higher elasticity (not as much as the look ones so you have to crank the DIN up a bit) and favour retention. I have them because the shop (and in fact most of Whistler) ran out of Look/Rossi bindings, the Salomon ones are also very light and easy to get into.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure I have ever noticed any difference in binding "performance" - please forgive me if I inadvertently cast any aspersions while suggesting that if you are good enough to notice you won't be paying for them so you won't really care (i.e. you'll be sponsored)???

...and so anything that has a DIN range high enough for you will be fine.

That said, I have always believed the marketing puff emitted by Look/Rossi (and Marker in the good old days) have much loved my 99s, ZRs, etc. so would second the Rossi/Look turntable recommendations.

But: I rather like the look of VIST a relatively new Italian producer (founded by an Italian racer so with a proper pedigree). The most important thing is that the plastic covers are interchangeable which means your bindings will always match the colour of your skis (and your boots if you're properly co-ordinated).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the Rossi 120Tis on my Pistols, and they are excellent. My Heads have Tyrollia which I've had no problem with either.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd endorse any binding truly based on the original

Look engineering (this N77 was far from the first example).
It's a brilliant piece of metal. Salomon copied the Look toe, decades ago, when the patent expired.
I'd still ski a pair of N77s today, with total confidence of safety.
Simple bindings always beat complex bindings, and are more durable because there are fewer small parts.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I have the Rossi 120Tis on my Pistols, and they are excellent. My Heads have Tyrollia which I've had no problem with either.

I think Atomic bindings are at least based on Tyrolias. If so, I'd give them a bit of a thumbs down - I ruptured my ACL due to Atomic bindings pre-releasing and I choose to apportion blame for that about 50/50 between me for not checking them as often as I might and the bindings for pre-releasing (they do have a bit of a reputation in this respect, although not as bad as Marker!).

Look/Rossi always seem to come out best in these debates, along with older and current top end Salomon (ie not less than 916s).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If we're dissing; I have had three mates breaking Tyrolias (vintage 1988 or so) once necessitating one legged skiing with mates non-functional ski over shoulder - an entertaining project.

However, Atomics were based originally on ESS and I must say last year's (2004) model were pigs in soft snow. I believe they're a little better this year (2005).

huckingfellers, just so you know, there are three main reasons for LOOKs (and Rossi carrying on the reputation) being in such favour: 1. the bindings were reputed to have more elastic release springs than others, so in marginal situations you had a little more movement before a potentially troublesome release 2. the turntable mounting rotated along the same axis as your shin, so contributing to fewer injuries in such a type of release and 3. the heel being effectively mounted "higher" up the ski meant a shorter length of the ski was being constrained by the binding, so you apparently got a more even flex.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch wrote:
However, Atomics were based originally on ESS and I must say last year's (2004) model were pigs in soft snow. I believe they're a little better this year (2005).

Yes - should have said that my experience was with the S614 bindings (I think - the ones supplied on my SX11s) not the new Neox ones
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For this coming winter Rossignol have re-engineered the Axial binding. It has maintained it's elastisity but has dropped the turntable heel. As Look bindings are re-badged Rossi's I'm fairly sure their binding range will change as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mr-everton, welcome to snowheads snowHead Although with a name like that I'm not sure if I should welcome you wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
I ruptured my ACL due to Atomic bindings pre-releasing and I choose to apportion blame for that about 50/50 between me for not checking them as often as I might and the bindings for pre-releasing (they do have a bit of a reputation in this respect, although not as bad as Marker!).

Arno I am not exactly sure what you're describing here. Did one binding prerelase causing you to fall, and the other binding did not release properly so that you ruptured the ACL on the other leg?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, a binding prereleased in moguls when i was going quite fast. i continued sliding on the ski that was still attached and caught the trailing boot on the side of a mogul. The impact caused my leg to jerk and twist and bang went the ACL. I think the whole thing was pretty unlucky, but it wouldn't have happened if the ski hadn't fallen off.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, that's truly unlucky. What a bummer.
snow report
As always, the depth of (obsessive?) knowledge on this site leaves me speechless.
ski holidays
Arno, ah. There is a third outcome, of course, both of them falling off reasonably close in time to each other. Now that NEOX gizmology is in, would you have preferred a (cryptologically secure) Bluetooth link to the other binding telling it to let go?

David Goldsmith, I still think the N77 should only be used with steel boot heel inserts.
snow conditions
I thought I'd seen else-thread that Rossi/Look were keeping a few models with turntables? Maybe that was last year...
ski holidays
Turntables (I've just learnt) will be available but race DIN. Fine if you like your release setting higher than your IQ!
ski holidays
comprex, my memory is that the N77 didn't have the little roller on the heel unit - didn't that end with the N17? - so I'm not sure I agree with you there [but I stand to be corrected!]
snow report
David Goldsmith, your memory serves you right, the roller was gone. I am merely uncomfortable with the narrow cam on the bottom of the heelcup.
ski holidays
Appreciate all the info you guys/girls have supplied. I decided to go with the look P12 Lifter,/ wide brake for the 81mm underfoot of the Legend 8000. Now I have to find a pair here in the US. No luck as of yet. Quite the popular binding! Seems to be really safe as well. Thats good!
ski holidays
I see the main problem being that its the middle of june an most stock will have long since been sold. However try ebay or proctorjones.com

For 80 mm underfoot you dont need wide breaks, ive got standard brakes on my p10s mounted on chronics which are about same width. 80mm aint as wide as it used to be!
latest report
huckingfellers, call, do not email, christy sports. The guys in the shops are much more helpful than the emailers. If reliable racing or proctor jones can't get it for you that is.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, But what about the N17? And on Dynamic VR17s?? Woooo! Woooo! http://snowmall.com/id31.htm
snow report
And, thinking about it, a friend of mine who was French team late '50s was skiing until relatively recently on Look bindings that had a turntable heel (I think, it may have had no heel movement at all) only so your foot could rotate out the front. No forward fall release at all. Now, he would be able to tell - and resolutely maintains - that he got better feel through them. (Not to be tried at home or on holiday!)

Then again, my father in law used to simply nail his clogs to his barrel staves (I kid you not) and head off to school. That's a precision fit in my book.
snow report
David Murdoch, from now on, whenever I'm drinking in an alpine bar, and see some prehistoric skis mounted on the wall, it's going to make me think of you. Very Happy
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
David Goldsmith, But what about the N17? And on Dynamic VR17s?? Woooo! Woooo! http://snowmall.com/id31.htm

Woooo-E gonna have to get ole fellers a pair of them babies. LMAO
thanks for the laugh!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy