Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looks a Bit Cold

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Tignes at the weekend and looking at the weather forecast its going to be -20degC when we arrive warming up to -15 by Tuesday. Its supposed to be -43 at the top tonight with the wind chill. Any tips for stying warm in extreme cold?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marvel, don't go up the Grand Motte, for a start. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Balaclava or snood that can cover your whole face & neck
Lots and lots of layers
Don't even think about taking off your gloves for a photo op
Keep skiing Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marvel, layers (penty of them!) face mask and toe warmers for your boots, tis what I learned in Canada, you wont be easy to recognise but at least you'll be warm-ish! Skullie
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Marvel, i've just been in oslo, where it was between (a positively balmy in comparison) -2C and -18C over 7 days. i used these techniques to keep warm when i went to the local resort (~600m altitude).

facemask (+ spare in a pocket),
keep moving,
wear double-layer gloves (cos sometimes you have to take a glove off) so your hands remain covered
use hand warmers in the double-layer gloves (stick the hand warmer between the layers)
use feet warmers,
ensure you wear a helmet and/or head covering
wear goggles

keep your head down on the chair lifts - it can get windy in some parts of l'espace killy

the layering would depend on how hot/cold you run, but add on at least one extra on top and bottom compared to your "usual" set up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Primaloft middle layer instead of fleece. I have a Keela Belay jacket - fantastic. But if it's really cold, you may need one with a hood
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
-15C isn't that cold.. Very Happy But -43 including windchill is certainly chilly. These are my tips....

Liner glovers then big mitts with a handwarmer in between the layers.
Facemask is essential.
Consider loosening the boots on lifts etc to get some circulation back in the foot if you normally tighten it right down.
Primaloft is excellent as a mid-layer.
Don't ski quite as hard initially as if you sweat it will chill you to the bone on the lifts.
Never take your gloves off and drop them in the snow, on a table etc. Always take gloves off and stuff them inside jacket. Otherwise any sweat in the gloves just freezes and that is unpleasant.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loads of layers. Good head cover. Protect face. Make sure you ski with a buddy - preferably buddies - and keep an eye on one another. Try to keep out of the wind. BTDT. TBH, it can get to the stage that you are trying to convince yourself that it is fun when it is not. At which time it is time to find somewhere warm for a hot drink.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boot heaters. I've got a frostbitten toe which is now blistering up as a result of three days of -20 degrees. Wish I'd bought boot heaters now rather when I get back to the UK in January Embarassed

Also keep an eye on your ski mates for signs of frostnip. We've had a couple of clients with frostnip cheeks or nose.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Sad hope you get better soon.

I'm not completely sure what frost'nip' is, but a few years ago in Verbier I managed to get 'numb' in my nose, lips and chin. It felt numb and strange for several weeks. Properly felt like nerve damage.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski instructor started checkin my nephews face when we were sking in -30 a few years back. we were a bit puzzeld when he said we had to go down fast to get indoors. he told us later he was checkin for frost bite on the face as my nephew had white spots on his face and this was the starting signs of frostbite! dont know if this was bs or not but have made sure everyone in group carries a balaclava ever since
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
creedgearoid wrote:
... he was checkin for frost bite on the face as my nephew had white spots on his face and this was the starting signs of frostbite! dont know if this was bs or not

No, not BS. That's what you should be looking for (white, waxy patches of skin). This is Stage 1 frostbite commonly called frostnip.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr Technique wrote:
rob@rar, Sad hope you get better soon.

It's not a big deal, just a bit sore especially in ski bots. Seems to have warmed up here a bit this evening, so tomorrow should be a bit less brutal.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Sad Sad

My mum used to say that when she was a nipper in Russia, it was perfectly common/the done thing to accost strangers who had white patches on their faces, to warn them that frostbite was imminent. So not bs, I think, creedgearoid.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frostbite "not a big deal" claims rock hard alpha male Welshman.
snow conditions
rob@rar, oops, cross post.
snow conditions
Mr Technique, Laughing That's the first time I've been described as an Alpha Male. I'm most grateful wink
ski holidays
Who do you think you are, Gavin bloody Henson?
ski holidays
Laughing
latest report
Lots of cash - you will need hot drinks!!!!!
Something to cover your head/face fully while on the lifts

Ride gondolas

Make sure your boots are not cold before you start - I once left mine in boot room and they got taken off the rack so I had cool boots, my feet never really warmed up

Don't get on a lift if you are even starting to feel cold, get inside ASAP and get warm

fleeces and thin layers dont work so well in wind chill, even with gortex you soon cool down
snow conditions
This thread really isn't selling sking to me...
snow report
I believe at around about -40 exposed flesh will freeze in around a minute so I'd stay lower down if possible! It's certainly getting to the stage where frost nip can set in fast and quickly develop into frost bite and then there's hypothermia to consider which, especially with kids, can develop very quickly indeed.

The thing about wind chill as opposed to a very low temperature in settled conditions is it is far harder to wrap up against it, you need to layer up for sure but you'll need more layers and make sure zips are closed tight and extremities are well covered. The body can loose heat very fast in those sorts of conditions and the results of that can be very nasty indeed if not arrested by getting indoors and into the warmth.

Bottom line is be very careful indeed!

rob@rar, sorry to hear about the frost bite, get well soon.
latest report
Jerry wrote:
This thread really isn't selling sking to me...
Puzzled Bit late isn't it? You give every sign of having already bought it! Laughing
latest report
I was in Banff when it was -40deg. The liftees were doing frostbite checks.
snow report
Marvel, Yes, its seems to be a little bit cold for the weekend,, I´m scandinavian,, so this temperatures are not exeptionel for me,,, now I live in france, there it not used to be so cold. But anyway, don´t get u to the top,, specelly not if there is very windy,, I dont used to ski Tignes before end of february, Early in season I want to have chance to ski in more windprotected area,, (lower altitude), Think about to help to look for frostbites in face (white parts) and take brakes, go inside, take clothes off,, Have a nice weekend and take care about U,,,
ski holidays
So other than being cold and numb, how do you know you have got frost bite in your feet?
snow report
tiffin, You take your boots off then find the remains of your toes inside them! Shocked

ps. Don't know why i'm joking......we're off to Tignes tomorrow rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Don't worry, I've skied in Norway -25C and 15 m/s, it's OK for adults, kids are smaller and cools much faster/easier. But something to put in front of your face is a must.
In case it gets cold get down where the wind is not so brutal, that will make a huge difference.

TheDane
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Mr Technique, Laughing That's the first time I've been described as an Alpha Male. I'm most grateful wink

A real man would have sawn off the offending toe with his Leatherman. wink
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
creedgearoid wrote:
... he was checkin for frost bite on the face as my nephew had white spots on his face and this was the starting signs of frostbite! dont know if this was bs or not

No, not BS. That's what you should be looking for (white, waxy patches of skin). This is Stage 1 frostbite commonly called frostnip.
My wife must have frostbite of the @rse
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

My wife must have frostbite of the @rse

Frosty the Snowman, I take it your wife doesn't read the forum then? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, you can be surprisingly HORRIBLE! Laughing Laughing
snow report
One big thing is dont let yourself get too sweaty inside your layers you are better with less on whilst you are skiing and have something else to put on when you stop. If you are damp you will then feel very cold indeed. This is especially true of your boots if you dont dry them out each night.

We spent some time in arctic finland in a static air temp below -40 with the slight breeze the winchill was -54 but TBH it did not feel as cold as a UK -5 because it was so dry. We did have probs with our eyes freezing shut and the 'explorers iceicle beard developing on enything that your breath touched. (There is nothing as delightfull as breaking off a good length of 'snot lollypop' Madeye-Smiley. Our kids both had a great time and they were pre-teen at the time. (could never understand all those calls to 08001111 on the phone bill Puzzled )

They did close the lifts one day but that was because the winchill was below -80 at the top station.
snow report
Hipflask + Scoth of course!

More seriously, get your feet warm in your boots before you go outside/start skiing, or they'll never warm up. Helps if you can have you boots pre-warming over night on a drier/etc too. DO NOT take your gloves off outside, cover your face with a buff or facemask or something. If you can carry spare layers in a bag that would be good, you can take someone to a bar to put them on.
snow report
kevindonkleywood wrote:
(could never understand all those calls to 08001111 on the phone bill Puzzled )

Kids chant

If your Daddys angry
and he beats your bum
call oh eight hundred
double one double one

hth Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy