Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer Times

Poster: A snowHead
The transfer times we have been quoted by Esprit are significantly less than those quoted on Iglu.

For example Geneva to Courchevel 1850 - 3hr 30min by Iglu and 2hrs 15mins by Esprit. My past experience of going with Inghams agrees with the Iglu one (to 1550).

We are going from Chambery to Courchevel 1850 Esprit reckon 1hr 30mins, Iglue says 2hrs 30. Which is more realistic?

Does anybody know why there is significant differences?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ, I would say that a realistic figure is bang in the middle of the two!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends on what they define as transfer time.....

usually on good condition roads?

Esprit quote 1h15m for Inns to St. Anton and that is spot on for good conditions......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It also depends on whether they are waiting for additional flights to fill the bus, and also on whether they have more than one drop-off on arrival - on a Crystal trip to Mayrhofen several years ago, we waited 30 minutes at the airport for a second flight, then got from the airport to the first drop-off in 45 minutes. We were the last drop-off, 2 miles away, and 80 minutes later...

From a quick search, Esprit have only one location, and only one flight, so there's much ffaffing about removed from both ends. I'd still take anything any TO says with a pinch of salt, mind.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also depends who else they drop off, and where on the way.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They definitely have more than one flight to Chambery on the Sunday. The Gatwick and the southampton flights both go there. I don't know if any of the other airports do, as those were the only 2 I considered.

Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We are going from Chambery to Courchevel 1850 Esprit reckon 1hr 30mins, Iglue says 2hrs 30. Which is more realistic?

Depends whether they include faffing time? And in what kind of conditions?

I've driven La Tania to Chambery airport in an hour, Via Michellin reckons it's 1h15 and I seldom beat their times, but that was in good conditions. So 1h30 in a coach to 1850, hmm...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ, The new stretch of motorway cuts 20 mins off the time -on a good day I would say 2 1/2 -3 hrs
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was going to say, the SUnday transfer also reduces times quite a lot - Saturdays are much busier but as more and more Tour ops have started to use Sundays, the roads are not as empty as they once were
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had a Chambery to Meribel transfer take 5 hours in good weather. We waited an hour for other flights, then made stops at Moutiers and Brides les Bains; we were the last drop-off. Only one rep on the bus, which slowed things down enormously. That was Crystal - never again.

If you want to know how long it will take from the time you exit the airport to the time you enter your accommodation, I'd take whatever they quote and double it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am much more concerned about the time we are going to physically stuck on the bus for as we have 2 young children with us, one of which is still in nappies, the other doesn't give too much notice for toilet stops.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt, good point. Esprit do a Sunday transfer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ, I'd suggest getting yourself a seat at the front of the bus and making very good friends with the rep and driver then.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always try - as I also get car / coach sick, but unfortunately every body else prefers to sit at the front as well, so rarely manage it. You would think people would rather give up there view than smell somebodys sick but apparently not.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

We waited an hour for other flights, then made stops at Moutiers and Brides les Bains; we were the last drop-off. Only one rep on the bus, which slowed things down enormously.

Ahh I see you know what I meant by "faffing time"

Quote:

That was Crystal - never again.

Yup, that was who I had in mind. The number of times we've muttered those words over the years...... Evil or Very Mad

Mind you, the longest transfer we had was 28 hours Geneva to La Plagne, including a night stop in Macot La Plagne village hall. That was courtesy of the arrival of 1M of snow during the transfer though.....
ski holidays
We've gone with Crystal twice, both times to Meribel. First time (2006) was fine, the second (2008) was very poor - flights changed to a different departure airport, the abovementioned transfer, then a substandard 'chalet' in Mottaret. Certainly won't use or recommend them again.

The last two years, we've gone it alone, which is what we normally do with other holidays. In 2009 we drove to Val d'Isere, which was a bit of a marathon but manageable with 2 people sharing the driving.

This year we Sleazyjetted to Grenoble and hired a car, which was simplicity itself - as long as you make sure they give you your snow chains!
latest report
Chambery to Courchevel 1850 actual driving times is just over an hour in good conditions in car/mini-bus so can't see it taking more than an hour and half in a coach, unless on a particular busy day with lots of traffic or particularly bad weather. Geneva to Courchevel 1850 is around two and half hours on a good run, but better to bank on 3 hours.

If various drop offs at different chalets and hotels on the way could extend trip.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:

Does anybody know why there is significant differences?
Thanks

Did you read the T&C for both companies (few billies do I know). Crystal, for example, would state transfer times are for when you leave the airport compound to when you cross the city limit sign at the entrance to the resort. So the 3 hours driving round the backstreets until you get to your hotel at the top of resort would not be included nor would the 2 hours waiting for the W rotation from Cardiff to make up the numbers on your coach.

Big operators will often be able to run a direct coach to Courchevel because the resort is so big, but if they have accommodation at 1550, 1650 then 1850 you could be in for a long transfer.

Other companies may have to de-coach in Moo-tears which can take an age.

I've even heard of a bus doing Merihell, Village, La Tania, Courchevel in a quiet week.
latest report
NickyJ,

From leaving the airport using the "voie rapide" and autoroute from Chambery Airport to Albertville takes c. 60 mins. I would then add another 60 mins to go to 1850 (especially since Crystal 2000 is right at the top just below the alitport).

The above is based congestion free roads with no intermediate stops.

Mark
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy