Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NORWAY. Help please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've impulsively booked to go to stay with a friend in Oslo for new year, and am desperate to try out my new skis!!

Does anyone know if there is any decent skiing within a couple of hours of Oslo? If so then what resorts, and any thoughts on how to get there on public transport?!?!

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.visitoslo.com/en/oslo-winter-park-tryvann-tryvann-vinterpark.49106.4045658o1dd.tlp.html

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-12-10 13:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
read through these tips for some good info by locals.

there are quite a few "proper" resorts within two hours of oslo, besides tryvann vinterpark.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As others have said, Tryvann is the obvious one (I might be wrong but from memory you can get a direct train from Oslo).

Alternatively, you could go a little further afield - Geilo is about 3hrs on the train from Oslo (there are a selection of decent hotels if you fancied staying over).

Worth bearing in mind that Norwegian resorts are all pretty small - so don't expect a massive ski area.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slightly further, but biggest in the area (and possibly Norway itself) is Trysil http://www.skistar.com/en/Trysil/

Loads of info about how to get there on the travel page, including a daytrip by bus from Oslo.

Lillehammer is also a couple of hours away, though I'm not sure about public transport as we drove when I went there. It seems there is a train:
http://www.norwaydirect.com/norway-travel/getting-around-trains/

If you get the opportunity, go to the top of the ski jump at Holmenkollen or Lillehammer, it's definitely worth it!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hemsedal as well

Also, since you are flying to Oslo get Norwegian air 1/2 the price of ryanair for skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonboy_21, It is downhill skiing you're after ?

You could have a go at nordic cross-country too. Maybe have a go at genuine telemark skiing Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The train station at Geilo is very near to the slopes and several hotels too. I had my first skiing holiday there, nice little place
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonboy_21, Hello,, I´m a scandinavian skier,,, if U go to oslo,, 2h driving from oslo you have some nice skiresort,, Norefjell, Kvitfjell, there was the olympic downhill, Kongsberg, Geilo, Hemsedal, Trysil, Rauland, Gaustablick, Rjukan, and Tryvann that you can catch the tram from center of oslo and be there in 15 min,, I can have forget something,, but I hope this kan be for help to U,,, Have a nice time in Oslo, and enjoy the scandinavian mountain,,, U can´t compare with the alps, but they are nice,,, ther is a reason that I live in france,,, the mountain is higher,,,,
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We flew in to Oslo and took the train to Geilo very easy as it stops right in the centre to the town. Train was very comfortable, on time and reasonable price.

Smallish resort but well worth a trip if you are out there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i've just got back from oslo. all the advice i can give is to wrap up WARM! cos it was whatever is colder than brass monkey weather. -15C one day Shocked !

and from what i saw in the papers (not sure if norge media is as sensationalist as their brit counterparts) they're expecting it to be cold until xmas. whilst we were there, oslo fjord was in the process of freezing over - and that's not happened this early in winter for a few years.

oh, and my one day pass at tryvann cost me NOK385 (340 for the pass, 45 for the skicard). PM me if you're in the london area or you'll be at hemel for the xmas party tomorrow, and you can save yourself the ~£5 for the card, as it's not a deposit-based system.

have a great time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy