Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving a BMW estate in the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I am going to be living in Zermatt for 3 months from Mid Jan 2011 (lucky me!!). I will need to get down to Geneva at least once per week. I am going to drive it (yes I know there is a train but it is too slow + does not run 24/7!). I have a BMW 5 series estate. I plan to use winter tyres, but I am worried about the lack of traction as it is rear wheel drive. I plan to buy 4 winter tyres.

Does anyone have experince of driving a similar car on winter tyres on snow.
I can get chains but I don;t want to have to fit them unless in a major emergency. If I need chains then I need to get another car..!

For those that don't know the road to Zermatt is gnerally OK but has 1 or two steep and windy sections. The car park is at about 1400m (I will be parking in Tasch rather than Zermatt)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
I am going to be living in Zermatt for 3 months from Mid Jan 2011

Quote:
If I need chains then I need to get another car..!

Answered your own question there, Chief
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rear wheel drive isn't ideal for snow but putting weight directly over the rear axle will help. (e.g. a large bag(s) of sand) When you pack the car put the heavy items directly over the rear axle and towards the middle of the car.

http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/winter-driving-techniques.htm
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
winter tyres will be fine on all 4 corners
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lewis, pm Spyderman
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Switch off the DSC (traction control) by holding down the DSC button until 2 bulbs are illuminated on the dash; switch it all back on when required by pressing the same button once.

Nick
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why not leave the car at the bottom of the hill and get the train?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Winter Tyres will get you a lot further in terms of coping in the snow.. however, don't be soooo anti chain.... they're not that much of a hassle really!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Altis - see what I mentioned about the train.
I need to get to Geneva for 7am - the train does not allow this.
Hi Marcellus. I will inevitably be in a rush to get a flight etc, it will be 3am cold and dark, so I want to avoid chains if I can. I know if you get the knack they are OK - I personally find it hard. I fitted chains to a coach once in minus 25 so I do have some experience - and I can't be bothered with them! Maybe I will train with chains - sounds kinky!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many thanks for all the replies
I do have experience of driving with snow tryes etc by the way. I spent a couple of winters in Austria with a Polo, I never got stuck, the winter tyres were superb (Vredestein Snowtrac).
I was really wondering if anyone had driven a rear wheel estate on winter tyres on snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If your up at 3am and the forecast is bad, put the chains on the night before, easier/quicker to remove if not needed IMHO....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, Minor disadvantage with that option is that lewis will be in Zermatt, and the car in Tasch (15 minute train ride away).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowsocks are now authorised for French roads in place of chains and are much easier to get on/off. Not sure on their 'legal' position in CH.
http://www.autosock.com/default.aspx?did=9079022

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 9-12-10 16:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mis read your title

Driving BMW to my estate in the Alps

either way I'm jealous Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lewis, Do you really think it would be that bad, I mean go and buy another car for the sake of not putting chains on once maybe twice MTFU. wink
+1 with kitenski,
latest report
lewis, BMW is NOT the best car for winterdriving,,, I know,,, I used to do,, but change to a Audi, alot better,,, and now I got me a Saab,,, Thanks lord for this exelent car,,, I dont think there is any better without 4wdrive,,,,
ski holidays
ricfrench wrote:
lewis, Do you really think it would be that bad,

It is a BMW he's talking about. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
If the weather forecast is bad and the journey crucial it would be cheaper, easier and more reliable for the odd day to go to Geneva the night before and stay in a hotel rather than buying a new car with marginally better winter driving characteristics. The roads can close due to snow so no car can pass.
latest report
lewis, it's not pretty but with winter tyres you should be OK most of the time, and if not then you really do need chains.

I drove home from Heathrow last February in the snow in my Merc E class estate. Ironically I'd been skiing but didn't have my chains in the boot. It only started to get hairy on the A419 from Cirencester over the Cotswolds, and then really hairy going down Crickley Hill which was littered with artics that couldn't make it up in the snow. Kept it in first gear, had a couple of slightly sideways moments but with a modicum of driving knowledge, made it back with summer tyres and an empty boot. With winter tyres and advance planning you'll be fine!
ski holidays
BMW - Is this not the ultimate driving machine? Laughing
ski holidays
Why would anyone with the extraordinary good fortune to spend 3 winter months in Zermatt faff about the possibility of having to put chains on a couple of times during the year. Shocked It's always great to have to put chains on 'cos it means it's SNOWING!
snow conditions
lewis, I've driven all kinds of BMWs all over the Alps over the last 15 years (my wife works for BMW so I get to drive a new one every six months). So far I can't honestly say I've had any major problems with them, or have got stuck in places that other people with front wheel drive were not getting stuck. The only car that I found genuinely problematic was a Z3 3.0, but then I guess that is not really intended for mountain passes in winter!

You do need snow chains though!
snow conditions
i have driven a 5 series estate for the past 5 years with winter tyres in both scotland and the alpes -no problems with the slip diff and traction control, in my experience the estate is an excellent choice for snow driving in all coditions except very deep snow when maybe you shoundnt be on the roads anyway.
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
lewis, I've driven all kinds of BMWs all over the Alps over the last 15 years (my wife works for BMW so I get to drive a new one every six months). So far I can't honestly say I've had many major problems with them

You missed the letter 'm'. I have corrected it for you.
latest report
bar shaker, just because posey plonkers in the UK can't drive BMWs, does not mean that they are not good cars. Yes, they have rear-wheel drive but knowing how to drive it without the proverbial sack of sand/cement in the boot is far more important. Judging by the number I regularly see on the autobahns and in the ski resort car parks, the locals have it sussed!

I can't cope with rear-wheel drive and steep ice/snow covered roads very well, so I have a front-wheel drive. I have to drive up and down a hill with a 16% gradient each day, so I do not wish to risk my car and myself with my inexperience. I used to drive a Volvo 940 Turbo diesel - rear-wheel drive and got over the St Anton Pass when it was snow-covered without chains, but I did not like the experience. I know my limitations. It would seem that most of the Chelsea Tractor brigade in the UK do not, which is why some of you Landy owners are doing a nice trade in "help". The BMWs are brilliant cars, for those who know how to use them correctly! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, yes and no. I drove a lot on snow and ice in Canada when I lived there and felt very happy on it. But my BMW estate with low profile tyres was pants and wanted to go sideways. With the rear wheels being a different size from the front mean you cannot carry a spare which fits both, and the rear wheels were too bigin the arches to have chains easily and too wide to get snowtyres. So to have safe winter boots would have meant 5 new wheels. And BMW do not sell their 4 wheel drive saloon/estate options over here unless you go for a Chelsea tractor.

Which is why I now have a Subaru...
latest report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

BMW do not sell their 4 wheel drive saloon/estate options over here

X drive is available in the UK as an option on 1 series and the new Mini estate,
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:

Which is why I now have a Subaru...

You're safe, I rescue Subarus too. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, Don't fret the RAC rescue landrovers wink
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, i told you before, he just didn't want to pay for the diesel home. Laughing

And Land Rovers rescue the AA

snow conditions
I have a RWD Jaguar XF, which has been largely terrible in CH in the snow, even with Winter tyres on. Therefore I would definitely take chains - they got me out of a spot of bother the other day.
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

BMW do not sell their 4 wheel drive saloon/estate options over here

X drive is available in the UK as an option on 1 series and the new Mini estate,

On Saturday I visited the ski shop in Danbury, Essex, to drop in the board and skis for a service. There was plenty of snow about but once up the slope, their car park is flat.

Considering it is flat, how the hell did an X5 manage to get stuck in a parking space?

I sat and watched for a few minutes, he had all four wheels rotating away between attempts to dig it out with a shovel. I reversed my A6 quattro out of its space and drove home with a smile.
ski holidays
Willy Wavers of the World unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains...
ski holidays
I've driven my BMW estate to the alps with no drama. I didn't have snow tyres, I did have chains but I didn't use them. To be honest the only snowy bit was the last (flat) 100m to the hotel and I should have really put the chains on, but even then I managed to manouver the car into a parking spot where it stayed for a few days before driving out again with no drama. In the interests of balance and integrity I should point out that I did get stuck in the snow last year on my drive... I live in Berkshire at an altitude of about 50m. I coped with the actual snow just fine, it was when it turned to 20cm deep slush on top of ice that I had to resort to snow chains Smile

You are doing the right thing getting snow tyres and I would guess that if you park at Tasch you will probably never need to use your chains, but it's a very good idea to carry them.

I know of a few folks who live in the alps and drive BMWs and they cope fine with winter tyres. Sure, a 4wd would be even better for uncleared roads, but if you live on or near a main road you'll find the snow clearing is so effective it's not going to be a problem. People I know who live up steep hills and where roads are uncleared (e.g. the back streets of St Anton up in Nasserein) tend to have smaller cars with front or 4 wheel drive, but then again the taxi vans in St Anton are all rear wheel drive and I've seen them get up some very dodgy roads in snow and ice (with chains, and sometimes in reverse in order to make themselve "front" wheel drive I guess).
ski holidays
Almost all Transit type vehicles are front wheel drive.
snow conditions
Some years ago I was sat next to a Romanian driving instructor while he reversed his front wheel drive Dacia 1300 (Renault 12) up a snowy hill at speed. It must be so that more weight is transferred to the driving wheels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacia_1300
snow report
and reverse is the lowest gear? Though normally lowest gear can cause problems. He knew his car, and his road, evidently.

I find a lot depends on the kind of snow. One sort of snow-covered road - absolutely no problem. another sort - no traction at all. The worst I encountered was 3 inches of freshly fallen wet spring snow on a previously warm road. 4 snow tyres which had carried me up that same stretch of road all winter just gave up - it was on with the chains.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Almost all Transit type vehicles are front wheel drive.

Well, almost all the minivans (they tend to be VW Transporter I think) I've seen in St Anton are RWD, and when it snows heavily the drivers put chains on the rear wheels. The minibus I drove when I worked out there was RWD. It's perfectly possible to drive a RWD vehicle in the snow.
snow report
Mercs and VW minibuses are RWD and known for not being very good in the snow..... Renault, Opel, Vauxhal and Ford are all FWD and are very good in the snow (especially compared to the Merc and VWs)
ski holidays
Somebody else has mentioned how good Saabs are in the snow ... you can have my "well seasoned" 10 yr old Saab 9-5 estate for 3 months and I'll look after your beamer Laughing

marcellus, I'm sure the newest VW Caravelles are FWD and both VW and Merc do 4x4 minibusses. We rent 2 Caravelle 4motion busses for the winter and they are absolutely cracking in the snow when shod with decent tyres.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy