Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I've got a wonky knee - any advice (boots / bindings) ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

As the title suggests I've a funny shaped right knee which basically goes inwards when I bend it.

The result of this is that when I ski downhill in a completely relaxed posture I will always have a natural snowplough which a) doesn't look all that cool and b) makes turns in one direction a bit trickier as I have to over compensate to complete the turn.

A friend has helpfully offered to smash my knee to pieces so that I have it reconstructed straight but i was hoping for a less radical method to solve this problem. The knee doesn't cause me any discomfort it just bends inwards.

Any advice out there for this problem? Has anyone got the same problem?

I was wondering if a binding could be set at an angle, or if something could be done to my boots? I don't own skis at the moment but would be more than happy to buy some if it could even go part way to solving this issue.

I typically ski reds and blues and whilst I've skied a few blacks I'm not too keen on them.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Phil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having your bindings changed could help, but in the mean time maybe you could maybe learn a more steered-turn method of skiing? I also have one really clicky sticky knee. Carving hard on my downward leg was sore. An older friend taught me the old-fashioned steer turning which has much less rotation on the knee cap - you face the hill and turn with much less of an edge. It's also slower I think - I feel more in control with it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
first thing to address is the boot fit, a good footbed will help reduce any excessive pronation (collapse of the foot) which will affect knee position, secondly a balance /alignment check and adjustment to the boots could be beneficial in straightening things up

as to what can be done, it depends on the boot make and model and how well it fits you in the first place, most canting and alignment is done on the boot now rather than the ski (mostly due to interfaced binding systems)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM wrote:
first thing to address is the boot fit, a good footbed ...

+1; has to be the starting point.

Might be a bit painful until you're used to it, so you could try using the camber & Toe-in correcting insoles in other footwear whilst walking round to help build up your knee.

Personally I'd try that first, and see what happens. It'd be the cheapest option too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for your responses.

Now to do something about it ................
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
e17phil, get thee to Bicester. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, I will do - just in the middle of sending them an e-mail.

If it only stops my mates taking the p**s out of me because of my skiing style it will be worth it Happy (my mate never shut up about my technique the other day in the pub - hence my original post!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy