Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes 27/11/10 - 30/11/10 Mountainsun

Poster: A snowHead
An eventful start to the season for us.

Saturday 27th:
Travelled to Gatwick early morning with Kitty and 2 friends, to park up at the long stay and meet up with Nells, WTFH, Michelle, HompHomp, Alphorn & SamM, for our Easyjet flight to Geneva. Arrived before check-in opened, so had a coffee and a bun.
Check-in opened and Kitty & I presented herself at the desk. Problem one, she'd brought our daughter's passport instead of hers. Shocked Quick phonecall to daughter's BF to go to her at work collect her house keys, go to our house in Luton, get passport, drive to Gatwick. Time ticked on and it became aparent that he wasn't going to get to us in Gatwick before the check-in closed.
Plan B, buy her a ticket on a later flight from Heathrow with BA. BF arrived and took her to LHR, we took off on time to GVA.
Geneva pick-up went well, only had to wait about 40 minutes after the transfer driver arrived for Kitty to arrive, so no damage done apart from £107 extra for the BA ticket.
Started snowing heavily with full snow cover on the roads between Annecy and Albertville, our driver didn't slow down for anything, not even snowploughs, made brilliant time.

Sunday 28th: heavy snow and really cold, but pistes were in fantastic condition, empty with no queues anywhere. Skied over to Val D'Isere and the sun even came out. Lunch at Folie Douce above La Daile, which was good, but stupid expensive. A 500ml bottle of Coke was 5.80 euro for example.
Dinner in Les Melezes was exceptional.

Monday 29th: It had snowed all night, so plenty of fresh tracks to be had and by 11.00am we had clear blue skies. An epic day, great snow, empty slopes, no wind, perfect.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Another great evening meal.

Tuesday 30th: Pretty flat light all day, so stayed local in Tignes, stopped at 12:30 for lunch of Pizza & Tartiflette at the rendezvous. Pick-up bus at 2:30 back to Melezes for 4:00 transfer back to Geneva.

This is where the fun began. Journey was fine until we approached Albertville, where it started snowing very, very heavily. Albertville was a mess, but got through that OK. On to Annecy where it was hard to make out where the roads were even. Cars sliding all over the place. Our driver James was on a mission and wasn't stopping for anything, overtook, undertook everything in his path. New winter tyres and lots of snow driving experience paid off. Got us to Geneva in 3 hours 20 minutes. Unbelievable considering the conditions. Not the same story for the other minibus, who were stuck in Annecy behind a 15 car pile up.
We got the Geneva airport at 7:30 pm for a 9:35 pm flight. Checked in, to then get an announcement at 8:30 pm to say that the airport was now closed because they couldn't keep up with the snow clearance, 50 cm had fallen so far and it was snowing heavily. Second transfer bus arrived so we were all there.
We set ourselves up in the bar on some comfy seats, knowing that we were there for the night. Announcement to say that the airport terminal would stay open for the night, but all hotels were fully booked.
At 12:30 am an airport person came up to us to tell us we had to move from our comfy seats because they were closing the area. The option was the concourse and hard marble floors, we refused to move, so within 10 minutes they were back with 5 police officers who gave as 10 minutes to clear the area, but they had in the meantime taken pity on us and organised some meeting rooms for us to sleep in. At least they were carpeted, we could turn the lights out and get a bit of quiet. Miraculously some camp beds turned up, so we all had a bed for the night.

Camp beds turned out to be the noisiest beds I've ever experienced. The frames were ridged aluminium with nylon fabric covering, it squeaked unbelievably and was tight as a drum. Noisy as hell all night, as when anyone moved an inch the noise was so loud it woke everyone up, who also moved and made more noise.

Wednesday 1st: After much persuasion Easyjet issued under duress some meal vouchers, not a good start, but after the initial reluctance the vouchers were free flowing, so we didn't have to pay for another drink or meal after that.
It was Kitty's Birthday so there was much drinking and merryment.
We transfered to a later Gatwick flight, but both GTW and GVA were closed, with snow falling very heavily still.
We took the decision after much looking at weather forecasts to transfer to a Luton flight on the morning of the 2nd, knowing that there was no way they'd be opening either runways today.
WTFH decided to take the train instead and left at 11:30am on hs way via Lille to get the Eurostar. He was doing pretty well with only 45 minutes delay at Lille. Eurostar was fine to London. His problems started at or near Horley on his way to Gatwick to get his car, when his train got stuck for 6 hours. The train reversed back to Horley, where after much arguement, they got off against the wishes of the railway officials, quoting some H & S cobblers. Managed to get a taxi to GTW and got his car. He got home at 05:30 this morning.

We were using the Internet corner of the bar as our base, so were pinching power for phones and laptops during our stay, Kitty had her phone on charge plugged into one of the PC monitors. It got nicked, so Police reports and calls to Vodafone to cancel it.

We meanwhile were resigned to another night on the squeaky camp beds from hell. At 6 pm a nice airport lady came up to us at Camp snowHead in the bar, to tell us that the airport had laid on a free pasta meal at the Italian restaurant at the station and that out camp beds had been reserved.
Totally unexpected and very much appriciated. Meal was very good and as we walked back to our beds we were handed vouchers for breakfast too.

They put us in a different room, with hard floors, so not quite so cosy. One occupant preceeded to snore so loudly all night that it was impossible to sleep, so I plugged my music in to drown out the noise and try and get some sleep.
Finally gave up on that at 4.00 am and got up.

Thursday 2nd:
True to their word GVA opened it's runway at 6.00 am, We checked in, but Nells ticket transfer hadn't registered successfully so they wouldn't let her check in on the Luton flight, offerning the earliest available as Saturday. Another 2 nights on that bed and on her own.
She booked a flight to Paris with WTFH trying to get her back from there, she's on a flight to LHR from Paris tonight hopefully.
Our Luton flight was perfect, arrived on time, but it did have 25 empty seats, so Nells plus some others could have used those.
Situation now is that Alphorn & SamM have just made it home, via train.
Michelle & HompHomp are with us in Luton, until the trains start running again to Gatwick.
My car is in Gatwick with my work car keys in the door pocket. Spare ones in the office in London.
I've insured Boywonder's car so I'm driving that.
Came home to find that Daughter's car has a split radiator, so new one required.
Opened the airing cupboard to find water everywhere, shower pump has split, so managed to isolate it and stop the flood, bought a new one for £160 which my nieghbour who's a plumber will fit tomorrow.

I need a drink now, while I contemplate how and when I go to Gatwick to rescue the car.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-12-10 22:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You forgot to mention that Kitty and I while dealing with Geneva Police to report the phone theft were rather embarrassed to find ourselves leading two rather nice officers round the airport whilst shuffling in our cosy slippers Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
phew Shocked what an experience!

glad you enjoyed the time at espace killy and mountainsun though! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, an epic tale! Glad you're (eventually) back.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well done for finally getting back! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think i need a drink now after reading that
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Update; Nells landed on GB soil at 21:30 Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a large drink on us, you deserve it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crumbs! Epic travel fail. Glad you're all back safely. And hoping it's better for us next week. A drink? I'm sure you need several Shocked .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yikes! That's a lot of snow on the outside terrace bit Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The things we put ourselves through in search of snow... only to find too much of the stuff rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Opened the airing cupboard to find water everywhere, shower pump has split, so managed to isolate it and stop the flood, bought a new one for £160

what a welcome home! Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Legendary - Hope you're all recovering.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nells is doing the final climb up the hill to Coldharbour with WTFH. All snowHeads now accounted for. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BLIMEY! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
I'm alone.

I feel like I'm the only pesron on the world awake/ Spyderman , Kitty & homphomp have retired.

Gray seems to think that hh & I will be here another night. Not to worry. Sainsbutryd in walking distance hav ew ine.
latest report
Thank god you're all back safe..... finally. What an epic trip. Shocked If only I'd been able to find my cape. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Morning all!
My big sis was my star yesterday and managed to choose the right flight out of Paris for me Toofy Grin Handy having a family travel agent!
Having been bumped from the Luton flight which the others were on, and with EJ offering me saturday night at the earliest I opted to get the hell out of Geneva while I had the chance and set off for Paris. I arrived in Orly with the potential to get on a flight to London City, which as you know from the Fat Controller was closed, so opted for an Air France flight out of CDG. A quick transfer round the city and I arrived in CDG to chaos as there were flights being cancelled to all parts of the UK and Europe. When the BA flight into Heathrow turned red my heart sank but with only a 30 minute delay in boarding and a de icing the flight went.
Foxy picked me up at Heathrow with no problems, thanks to the snow chains purchased from Yoda in a deal done in S & R car park in Chertsey on a hot sunny day. We went to collect Millie from friends, who had cooked us dinner. So fed and watered we slid our way up the hill and once home crashed into bed and burned.

This morning it all looks like this, so the fire is lit and we are working from home today

IMG_2466

someone is glad to be home and its good to see her

IMG_2462a

Spyderman your car is going to look like this when you get there

Snow
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Thank god you're all back safe..... finally. What an epic trip. Shocked If only I'd been able to find my cape. Toofy Grin

We were looking forward to the red pants! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
A Spaniel with a coat on!!! How humiliating for the " 'ardest" of working dogs.
snow report
Nells, Laughing In the absence of the real thing, I was giving serious consideration to drawing them on to my ski pants with a red marker pen (which I did have to hand) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, she is just a skinny little baby and it was -8 out there this morning. She 'ard enough yet! snowHead
ski holidays
Nells, some friends have a cocker and she ends up with giant snowballs for ears when out walking.
latest report
Forget the Folie Douce, it's a rip-off. I always use the Marmottes (at the base of the Marmottes & Borsat Express lifts) for lunch if I'm in that neck of the woods.
snow conditions
People often ask me why I consider driving to the Alps. I think I now have a link as an answer Smile
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman and snowballs between the toes too!
latest report
Michelle wrote:
I'm alone.

I feel like I'm the only pesron on the world awake/ Spyderman , Kitty & homphomp have retired.

Gray seems to think that hh & I will be here another night. Not to worry. Sainsbutryd in walking distance hav ew ine.

Blimey, you made it till midnight Shocked

Him and me were snoozing on the sofa by 7pm last night and in bed asleep by 8, didn't wake up till 8am. I haven't slept for 12 hours straight since I don't know when! We only just made it home as South West Trains apparently ground to a complete halt by 5pm.

It was lovely to be back at home, to have a shower and to be able to go to bed without clothes Very Happy

It was also lovely not to have to listen to Spyderman snoring for a 3rd night wink

Nells, glad you made it home eventually. We were all shocked yesterday morning when we discovered that you wouldn't be on the flight to Luton with us.

I have to say, I don't think either of us would have managed to get through such an experience if it wasn't for the fact that we had such a great group of friends (old and new) around - I think we christened the whole thing "Michelle's winter barbeque", as the amount of giggling and wine consumed was probably similar, as was the competition for sleeping space Toofy Grin

Our car is still at Gatwick, hopefully we'll manage to get it back tomorrow. However, it may take some time to get it started - the filling stations near the airport weren't selling winter diesel...!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, Maximum respect to you all. I thought I had had a hard time getting stuck in Dublin Airport for 36 hours this week until I read this Very Happy
snow report
SamM, I'm travelling down to Gatwick on the train tomorrow morning to get my car. I'll take my tow strap with me just in case. If you can't get out of the car park ring me and I'll tow you out.
ski holidays
Spyderman, you're a star Very Happy
ski holidays
SamM, Spyderman, let us know if you need any help from up the hill.
snow conditions
let us know how you get on with the insurance claim
ski holidays
Update: The saga continues.........sorted Kitty's stolen phone out with Vodafone this morning, after 2 hours in the Vodafone shop and many calls to customer service.

I then took the train hopefully direct from Luton to Gatwick to recover the car. No through trains, so train to St. Pancras, Victoria line to Victoria and Gatwick Express to Gatwick. So far so good. Got the bus to the long term car park, no further charge for the extra parking.....Result. Very Happy

Cleared snow from car, started it up, up flashed 'Gearbox Faulty' on the display panel. Made an almighty clunking noise when I put it in reverse, tried to move the car but the auto handrake wouldn't release. Phoned RAC, waited 20 minutes for them to answer, gave them the details, they've said minimum 3 hour wait for patrol. Returned to car and I've managed to engage reverse and move it before the self diagnostics detected the fault, so at least it's recoverable, it would have been a nightmare to put it on a truck where it was, for the amount of snow around it, thanks to winter tyres again, drove through the piles of snow no problem.
I think it's just an electronics glitch, probably caused by the cold and damp, but I don't want to take the chance of it locking up on the motorway, as I've tried moving it again and the fault is still there.

So here I am, sitting in the Gatwick South Parking Plus Reception, on an uncomfortable seat and marble floor for another long wait.

Will this week ever end?
snow report
Spyderman, bug, bug, and bug again.
snow conditions
Spyderman, Oh for FFS.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I can't even bring myself to take the p1ss, I feel so bad for you. Hope you get it sorted soon.
snow conditions
Spyderman, Just catching up on this thread. It really has been a week of if it can go wrong it did. I hope your luck turns Cool
ski holidays
Spydie has just called to say that bicycle repair man i.e. the RAC has just arrived. No doubt it will then be another wait until the recovery vehicle arrives Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Kitty, Drives rolling eyes me mad that in this day and age they insist on sending out the man in the van first who then says yep you were right sir your car is forked, you can now wait another 3 hours for the rescue truck.
latest report
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Spyderman, Oh for FFS.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I can't even bring myself to take the p1ss, I feel so bad for you. Hope you get it sorted soon.
Sorry to be lazy - but +1 with knobs on. Hope you get home this side of tomorrow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy