Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland in feb half term?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI,

Which if any of Scotlands skiing areas would be most suitable for 2 females(mid 30s) nervous intermediates at feb half term for a couple of days (mon 21st -Fri 25th feb 2011)
Any recommendations on accomodation, ski instructors etc would be most helpful

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of the schools in Scotland are off the previous week (including the 'big' population centres; Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Falkirk and Aberdeen), so you shouldn't get it too busy.

For a nervous intermediate, I'd suggest Glenshee. A lot of nice sweeping blue runs, and some easier reds. They tend to be well pisted as well.

Another good thing about Glenshee is that you have 5 uplifts radiating out from the base station, so unlike the others (The Lecht excluded), you don't have everybody trying to funnel into the 1 or 2 uplifts. Also, in this situation, lift breakdowns become less of an issue.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glenshee would be very good.

The Lecht would probably be good but you might find it a little limited with short runs and not much vertical, the lifts are good there though and all radiate off the car park area.

Nevis would be okay but not as good as the two above IMHO.

Glencoe is very limited for anyone of a nervous disposition and is best enjoyed once you are more advanced and wanting to really push the envelope.

Cairngorm is very good for intermediates but the lifts can be an issue during busy times, Aviemore is fantastic as a base village though with everything you could possibly want.

As for ski schools/instructors all the ski areas have them so check their respective websites for details. Unlike the other ski areas there are a number in Aviemore though so more choice but bear in mind that some are better than others. The official ski school on the mountain is called (imaginatively lol) The Ski and Snowboard school. IMHO they are very good but then I would say that because I work for them and will be working there at half-term Toofy Grin

Oh, Cairngorm is liable to be pretty rammed at half term whereas the others may well be quieter.

Websites
Ski Areas:

Accommodation:

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 12-01-11 18:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh aye, if you're doing more than one, I'd also recommend Cairngorm as well.

Some nice warm-up runs near the top on the Ciste side, and you can also do the full 450m vertical on blue/green runs.

Then, when you want to stretch your legs a bit, try the White Lady. Nice wide red, quite steep, but not scarily so. It's a good confidence booster when you get to the bottom and look back-up.

Only problem with Cairngorm is that there's only 3 ways to the top. There's the funicular, and then the other two rely on the M1 poma, or the West Wall Poma. The WWP is currently out of action, and the M1 seems to break down reasonably regularly.

Steven
My skiing photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/collections/72157625225230520/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roga, It was through the Ski and Snowboard school that I got my first lessons 4 years ago. 2 half days, and I was handling greens with a bit of confidence.

I'll never forget the first time I looked down the Ciste Bowl 1 hour into the first lesson. It looked like a cliff, and I was terrified. Now it hardly even registers!

No complaints about them whatsoever, they were brilliant.

Can't remember the name of the instructor, but he was really good, and a sound guy. He had a squint, if that helps!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shoneyman, that sounds like Jerry - good bloke Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's the very man! I remember now you mentioned his name. I kept wanting to call him Tom!

Aye, a good bloke right enough. I've got a lot to thank that man for. It's amazing how quickly skiing becomes a big part of you're life, and how a skiing holiday suddenly becomes the most important holiday of the year!

I'm so glad I decided to take it up Very Happy

Steven
My skiing photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/collections/72157625225230520/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoneyman, you can have a signature so you don't need to keep pasting your link in after you comment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I looked at the head cam footage and that run looks like a great run for a nervous skier like me!
Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
scotia, Cheers, didn't realise you could do that (duh!)

fizz, Yeh, it's an excellent run that one. As I said in the description, it's arguably my favourite in Scotland. I think it's probably the longest (pisted) in Scotland, but I could be wrong. As you start to get a bit more confident, you can substitute the Zig Zags for the Gunbarrel (which is blue, but can feel more like red especially if it's narrow and icy).

I like trying to get one of the last uplifts to the top at closing time, hanging about for 10-15 minutes, then skiing that run whilst the sun sets, and it's nice and empty. For me, that's the perfect way to end the day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree with what others have said about Glenshee. That's where I learned to ski some #%!!& years ago. Hasn't changed much either, although some t-bars have been replaced.

If the whole area is open, there is a a lot of piste, mainly on the "Sunnyside" side of the road. And much of it is very do-able for beginners. Absolute beginners can use a couple of trainer tows near the base on the "Tiger" side of the road.

I don't know Glencoe or Lecht, but Cairngorm and Nevis are both very good resorts with good uplifts at the start. Maybe less beginner-friendly than Glenshee.

Hiring skis at Glenshee can be entertaining. There are various operations between Blairgowrie and the slopes but service can be slow. So if there's a minibus parked outside, go to the next one. The longest ski hire queue is likely to be the outlet at the slopes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The benefit of Cairngorm, if you are there for a few days, is that there is plenty of accommodation and things to do in the evening in Aviemore. In comparison, Glenshee and the Lecht, are pretty isolated, so if the conditions are poor, which I would hope they aren't but easily could be, you'd be a bit stuck.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fizz, So, how did you get on?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy