Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skis and helicopter tape...

Poster: A snowHead
I also mountain bike and where there's going to be cable rub etc it's quite common to use helicopter tape or carbon patches to protect the frame from getting scratched or gouged in bad places...

so, this got me thinking. Has anyone used helicopter tape to protect the top sheet of their skis from bumps and scrapes. Say if i applied helicopter tape to the length of the outside top edge of the ski, would this alter the ski characteristics at all Puzzled

For those that haven't heard of it; helicopter tape is the stuff they put on the leading edge of helicopter blades to stop them getting damaged by birds or other debris.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly, why do you need to protect the top of the ski from bumps and scrapes? It seems to me that if you need to protect an area from bumps and scrapes, because bumps and scrapes will affect how it skis, protecting it will also affect the way it skis, and conversely, if applying tape to an area of the ski doesn't affect the way it skis, theres no need to protect it from bumps and scrapes. A sort of Catch 22.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ahhhh... i'm glad that's all cleared up then! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also don't bother if you're putting it on PEs. Sneeze near public enemys and the topsheet gets chipped, helicopter tape won't help. I think it's designed to, for that thrashed skatey look.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helitape is good for chip and scratch resistance. We use it on our F1 cars on the leading edge of the chassis, bargeboards etc. I also use it on my mountain bike to prevent cables rubbing through the tubing. I've never thought of using it on skis, but I'm sure it would work and I very much doubt it would have any effect on the ski performance. When blind testing skis, the top sheet is usually covered with tape, which has no effect. So no reason why helitape would either.

But what I really need is something to protect the bottom of my skis!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster, just turn them upside down... that's do it Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Body protection tapes' in halfrauds.

or I polish mine out with dodo juice Lime Prime and a coat of carnauba car wax.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, slalom gate hits can really wreck topsheets.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex wrote:
richmond, slalom gate hits can really wreck topsheets.

they also wreck shins ribs and shoulders.....

[note to self]...you are too old to ski gates [/note to self]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, my technique for avoiding problems with slalom gates is to avoid slalom gates. Works for me, without the need for helicopter tape. BTW, where do you buy helicopter tape?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond wrote:
comprex, my technique for avoiding problems with slalom gates is to avoid slalom gates.

Well, that is the overall idea. Laughing

Quote:

Works for me, without the need for helicopter tape. BTW, where do you buy helicopter tape?

-shrug- Puzzled racer's tape or leading edge tape gets a lot of hits for me; the 10 mil Surlyn stuff does a fair job, no need to splash out on the 40mil unless racing in which case 4mm thick neoprene strips glued above the sidewalls would probably work far better.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What is this "helicopter " tape that you speak of.

sounds like I could use it somewhere on my motorbike !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bernie, apparently it goes on the leading edge of helicopter rotor blades to prevent damage from midges, seagulls, 747s and so on. If I'd known that they were held together with sellotape, I'd never have travelled in one.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want some of this tape that folks are talking about, check out www.skitape.com -- They sell it by the foot to make it more affordable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bernie, check out www.skitape.com
snow conditions
Blast from the pat Spamtastic!!
ski holidays
Ski Tape wrote:

Hmm a bit spammy if you want to sell any of this wonder tape why not ship some over so someone can actually test it?

Also
Ski Tape wrote:
8 mil thick, conformable polyurethane tape
seems pretty thick if thats 8mm. It's certainly starting to sound like it would alter ski performance. Would you be allowed 8mm under the bindings in FIS races?
ski holidays
I reckon threads older than one year that get replied to, should be highlighted in flashing pink and green

8 mil = 0.2032 mm
snow conditions
betterinblack, I'd be glad to ship YOU a free sample to try as long as you post what you think of it after you use it as I know you'll love it!!!! E-Mail me shipping info to customercare@skitape.com and I ship some to YOU tomorrow...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy