Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dry ski

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone recommend using their own skis on dry slopes in the Uk or will they be trashed from the brushes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only skied the Dendix stuff, and there's no way I'd take mine anywhere near that stuff. Brishes aside, it's the steel framework that holds it all together you need to worry about. Never tried Snowflex, so I have no idea if that would be much better.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been dry sloping twice and am sorry but just fail to see the attraction. It was not a pleasant experience.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The dry stuff of course cannot compare but for the first ten years of my skiing it was spent solely on the brushes (great way to learn not to fall over!)
I am reticent about using my skis, best get up to tamworth
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wouldn't use your own skis, it will really dry out the bases. Unless you plan to spend a lot of time on the dry slope then maybe have an old set for plastic and a nice shiny new pair for snow!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd hire some unless you're not that fussy about your skis.

If you do decide to use your own though a good way to make 'em run better is to spray diluted washing up liquid on the bases- you might get some funny looks though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you can also spray Mr Muscle furniture polish on! We used to do this when racing on plastic. Will come off v quickly, but give you a quicker start!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or Mr Sheen, or GT85 Bike Lube work too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr Sheen, that's what i meant. Unless mr muscle make furniture polish too, i have no brand loyalty!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr Sheen works in Milton Keynes (and i think there're a couple of them in Hollywood too)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If your local slope does not have a misting or sprinkler system in use then don't use your own skis. If it does then your skis should be OK as long as you hot wax them regularly (you don't even need to scrape all the wax off as the matting will remove it!). Although wear on the bases should not be a problem the edges will get blunt. If you need sharp edges, for racing etc., then you will need to sharpen them often (racers on plastic sharpen their edges before each run). Even doing this the skis should last a couple of year or more.
But - Slopes without any lubrication will kill your skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Use a REALLY hard wax, and you'll be fine, on wet Dendix. Don't even think of it on Snoflex (the carpet). Keep you edges sharp if you ski regularly, otherwise you'll have a terrible job getting them sharp for next winter, and the odd grind will help with the railing....DATA do a wax called POLAR X, which works well, also CH4 - not sure who makes that one. My 9S skis are one year old (happy birthday), and get used every week for an hour or so.. and they're still fine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My own experience is that most of the dry slopes tend to have poor to averagely maintained ski's (but not all of them) and the sensation of using well maintained ski's is very different, better. I would'nt take mine anywhere near and as others have said a spare pair of less loved ski's would be a good idea. One to bear in mind is that most slopes recommed you ski with a slightly shorter ski on plastic than you would on snow, not sure but assume this is because plastic is not as slippy (real word??!?!? Smile ) as snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty, Using slighty shorter skis on plastic can also be because the matting at each end of the slope is not as good as in the middle and effectively reduces the slope width by 5-6 metres. From my own experience I've found that the matting at the edges of the slope isn't as well watered as the middle assuming that a sprinkler system is installed and turned on. This can produce 'sticky' patches that can easily result in falls 'like skiing over sandpaper' said one friend who fell recently, so most skier will ski within a 3-4 mat width to avoid this.
Also if your doing exercises it is much better with shorter skis, even the instructors that I ski with are using 150.

It might be worth asking at your local ski club/slope if any skier especially sponsored skiers/racers are selling there old snow skis as get new gear including several pairs of skis every year. They usually go cheap to club members as they don't want loads of skis clogging up the house/shed. these skis are likely to be well used, but also well maintained and can still do a job for recreational skiing on plastic.

David
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
martski, a plastic ski slope will wreck your regular skis because of the friction and abrasion acting on the base plastic.

The least damage is done on clean slopes with water-misting systems, but even there you need a 'pair for plastic'.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith,

Agree.

And plastic is just about worth doing rather than nothing..don't live anywhere near Tamworth and as such not worth the time.
I find an hour on these slopes quiet boring.
I try to concentrate on personal fitness prior to a trip and hope I get it together pretty quickly. Not ideal but shades the alternatives for me...
snow conditions
Quote:

martski, a plastic ski slope will wreck your regular skis because of the friction and abrasion acting on the base plastic.

I can't agree with this. Started skiing on plastic four years ago and for last three have been using my own skis. Done a lot more damage to these skis hitting rocks up north than I've ever done on dendix! I've been using my latest skis (Fischer RX6) twice a week for about 6 months now and there's barely a mark on them, couple of small nicks where wire ties haven't been pushed down far enough but that's about all. I don't find the bases dry out markedly, I'm only hot waxing every couple of months with an odd application of Toko Express liquid wax every couple of weeks.

However our slope is well maintained with good coverage of sprinklers - your mileage may differ, especially a certain slope near Edinburgh which I have heard a few horror stories about.... I think a dry slope with poor/no sprinklers may be much harder on the bases.
snow report
tuesdayskibum, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
Does any onw know where i can buy a few meters of dendix from?

Myself and a friend are putting together a few practice rails in the back yard and need some for a runup slope
latest report
Welcome to snowHeads, Marek snowHead

I have no idea where you can get dendix!
snow report
Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead Marek, and the answer is Chepstow. http://www.dendix.com/
You might even be able to blag a couple of sample pieces if you said it was for a good cause - boy scouts, school or whatever.
Or these people in Wales claim to be the main agents for the stuff
http://www.impactleisure.com/dendix.html
latest report
Marek, Most slopes are replacing dendix this time of year maybe worth contacting local slopse to see if they have any "OLD" matting to give away.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy