Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clip-on / Add-on touring bit for use with normal bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Does anybody know where you can buy clip-in / add-on attachments that clip into normal bindings, to allow you to free your heel for uphill stretches? Not a proper touring binding, just an add-on for light use?

I see references to them on various websites but can't find any specifics.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.facewest.co.uk/BCA-Alpine-Trekkers.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks scotia, my further wanderings into google had just turned that up as well! Any experience with them?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wigan, someone was selling a pair on here - kitenski maybe? Heavier than purpose-built bindings but if you;re only doing the occasional bit of trkking, fine, is the consensus. Don't forget skins as well
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wigan, you might have like searching for 'daywreckers' or something along those lines Laughing

No experience myself.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
scotia wrote:
wigan, you might have like searching for 'daywreckers'

Hmmm, yes, I've now found reviews of them under that name...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt wrote:
Don't forget skins as well

Which seem to be crazily expensive for what they are Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks NBT, I am selling just the thing...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68103
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
once you have suffered crap skins you will happily pay full whack for good ones
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wigan wrote:
Which seem to be crazily expensive for what they are Puzzled

clubbing baby seals is a costly business these days!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, I may well PM you with an offer if I can find some cheap/secondhand baby seals to go with them.
Am looking for cheap and cheerful as I'd only be using this kit to add a bit of (fairly tame) interest to my trips to the Lakes / Scotland this year. Hired touring kit in Aviemore last year and found the ability to go uphill a revelation. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
nbt wrote:
Don't forget skins as well
Which seem to be crazily expensive for what they are

This site may be worth a look https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/Skins.html - they apparently use Ascension plush fabric for their skins, and sell direct (cutting out the retailer's markup)

Skins starting at $91 + $27 postage to Yurrrp, which is around £75 delivered, as opposed to > £110+ in the UK
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Used alpine trekkers for the last few seasons with the missus, pretty decent if youre just using them to access some fresh, no problems with them and still give you a decent alpine binding for the way down....graduated for Duke's now though! Might be woth checking out www.clipskins.com for a suitable partner....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never used the aforementioned Trekkers but I can see that they could work for short outings and / or if you need a really burly binding because on the way down you're gong to drop some cliffs or whatever.

Mr. Pollard, representing LINE, uses them in this video: http://vimeo.com/16753303

I guess if they're good enough for him ..... cool dog as well!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like the vimeo embedding, make you tube look a bit old.

nice dog too.
latest report
what is he doing after he removes the skins and scrapes the base of the skis with the other skis edge?? Removing excess glue???
ski holidays
kitenski, Could he have some ice build up on the edges? Years ago I got ice on the base of my ski and was advised to gently scrape it off with the edge of the other ski.
snow report
Great little video! kitenski, as Adrian says - looks like he is scraping off a bit of ice build-up.

PS - kitenski, re your For Sale thread are you sure you shouldn't keep the Tour-wreckers & sell the wife?? wink
snow conditions
wigan wrote:
Hired touring kit in Aviemore last year and found the ability to go uphill a revelation. Very Happy

I tried some touring kit at the May day bank holiday with another snowHead, amazing fun but skinning was one of the most knackering experiences I have had on skis, maybe im just too old and unfit Blush or could have been a technique thing as I was trying to walk Embarassed

Anyway a young guy there had some trekkers, used with Salomon lords and sth bindings and didnt have a bad word to say, I have been trying to find some secondhand but the large ones are quite difficult to come by.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy