Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice please!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi All,

the GF and i are looking to go skiing next year end of Jan/beg Feb.

we are both 25 and are not necessarily looking for great nightlife more so good snow and reasonable priced food/drink/ski hire etc.

i have around 20 weeks experiance anbd have done most of the major resorts, ie tignes, val thorens, verbier etc where as it will be the gf's first time proper skiing! actually she wants to snowboard.

my question is thus. like everyone we obviously have a budget, in an ideal world 500 pounds for flights,accom ski hire and passes but i think unless we go to somewhere like bulgaria this is very unlikely.

has anyone beeen to bulgaria skiing? although it seems very good value im worried the snow base and quality wont be great.

the other option may be to get a snow train from st pancreas to bourg st maurice, which will then give us the option of les arcs, tignes, val'd'isere and la rosiere. it seems to take 8-12 hours and works out at less than 200 per person.
roughly, on this basis, can we expect to pay for accomodation for 6 nights? self catering or catered, chalet or hotel?

in an ideal world i'd do courchelval for a week then verbier for the week after but unless i win the lottery it is VERY unlikely!!

also someone mentioned on here the french holiday season is week beginning 12th Feb - does this affect prices much or is it more so the business?

oh, im not just limited to france and bulgaria, italy would be good, especially livigno!

thank in advance!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jimmi85, welcome to snowheads. snowHead The French hols will make no difference till 13 Feb - I'd say that end Jan/early Feb is an ideal time.

Your budget is very optimistic. You can certainly forget all those "big names" on that budget. I've never been to Bulgaria, but it would be fair to say that it's not highly rated here on snowheads though obviously some have hit it lucky and enjoyed it very much - I gather the tuition is good, which will be vital for your GF.

The cheapest holidays - and good ones - are probably those with UCPA, the French youth sports organisation. Action Outdoors sell their holidays in the UK. Have a look at their websight - there are a few (not many) weeks when beginner snowboarders are accommodated. Prices include full board, gear and tuition (up to very high levels).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Pam, thats really helpful.

just looked on upca's site and prices seem really reasonable!

week in deux alps beg feb, full board, ski and lift hire and 12 hours tuition is 587gbp!!! sounds almost too good to be true!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
UCPA seems just teh ticket- I wishI'd gone when younger!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
other option may be Andorra? seems to offer good value for money. And pas de la casa and Arinsal both seem good for beginners and resort is high. just comes under budget and we dont have to share rooms!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am relatively new to SH's and am confused about all of this Bulgaria negativity. Cards on the table time.. I own an apartment in Bansko, so I guess I have a biased opinion, but I dont understand this Bulgaria bashing.
I dont have a lot of skiing under my belt ( Scotland 2 x weekends), Bulgaria ( bansko x 4 weeks, Borovets x 1 day), Tignes 3 days last year on the mountain sun ski and board camp. So I am by no means qualified to give advice.
However I can tell you what I have seen.

I have had some great skiing in Bankso ( and the one day in Borovets). I wont even try to compare the KMs to Tignes as that is a no brainer, but there is plenty there to keep me busy for a week. I am an intermediate, so can get down pretty much any slope, but prefer the reds and blues.

And if you have a budget to stick to then how can you ignore Bulgaria? Can't remember wher I got this from , but it was reputable (might have been The Times)

Ski resort Bansko Vail Val d’Isere
Cup of coffee £1.02 £2.18 £3.58
Coca-Cola £1.26 £1.82 £3.30
Wine (50cl carafe) £3.88 £14.54 £9.17
Beer (25cl) £1.36 £2.91 £3.30
Evening meal for 2 adults
(3 courses excl. drinks) £34.95 £67.63 £82.57
TOTAL £42.47 £89.08 £101.92

Now I am not saying that Bulgaria is as good as the Alps (I am not stupid), but pound for pound it is a great option.

If a budget means that you have to compromise a bit with your ski holiday then.....
If you want to go on a ski HOLIDAY - then choose Bulgaria
If you want to go on a SKI holiday - then choose Alps and go self catering

All of that is just my opinion and by no means fact

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
UCPA all the way mate. Go to Flaine or Chamonix or La Plagne I think and you can request a twin or double room at an extra price. I've been to Bansko and its ok. Its a nice town and I've seen plenty of snow there but it doesn't compare to proper resorts, still its cheap and I prefer the accomodation in Bansko then in the Alps as your money goes alot further.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam, does the price that upca quote include flights and transfers? because i cant see that mentioned anyway on their website...

thanks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmi85,

Not that I have used them before, but I'm under the impression that you can either pay a supplement and go on a AA organised coach or make your own arrangements getting to the resort.

The prices quoted are usually accomodation, food, lift pass, tuition which are usually very reasonable as their centres are in the best French ski resorts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jimmi85,

I've booked UCPA in Flaine for a week. Their prices don't include flights or transfers. However, if you book through Action Outdoors (English company who sell UCPA holidays - check out their web site) you can pay to get the coach from London (approx £100 depending on resort) or arrange your own flights and book their coach transfer from the airport to resort. In truth, there are several options. For example, I got Easyjet from Bristol to Geneva for £100 then paid Action Outdoors £58 for the coach transfer (return) so still makes the cost very reasonable. Also, with Action Outdoors, you arrive on the Sat morning and don't need to leave until PM the next Sat. I think UCPA prices are based on Sun - Sat - don't quote me though. AO prices are very comparable to those on the UCPA site and they have a good reputation for customer service - website more user-friendly as well. I have no other connection to AO other than booking my own holiday with them but I'd recommend you try their website.

ed123,

Their upper age limit is flexible - I'm in my 40s and they gladly took my booking.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i have used the ski meribel coach from victoria direct overnight to meribel / la tania their prices start at 119 pp, i also got a bargain week coming up 12-19th in la tania with flights chalet transfers etc for 209, i would say for your budget that bulgaria is the most sensible option, or if you are willing to book last minute you may get much better
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Out of interest, what's the offpiste like in Bulgaria? I imagine a lot fo people who go there are first timers/beginners who want to try skiing for cheap, does this mean the pow stays untracked for longer? Do they get much snow?

I've worked with a few Bulgarians who were all incredible skiers, so I guess there must be some good terrain there..?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Someone else will have to answer the off piste in Bulgaria. I am not good enough to venture onto it yet. People tell me it is great, but I cant vouch for that personally.

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy