Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
The AA routeplanner suggests what looks like a very quick and short route from Innsbruck to Saalbach, via Fieberbrunn (that bit looks fine) and then along what looks like an incredibly minor road called the Spielbergweg. Has anyone tried this route? Does it open in winter? I don't want to end up as one of those amusing cases you read about in the paper where the driver's satnav device took him down some crazy route. Any help much appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pjd, you'd go Fieberbrunn to Saalfelden (traffic can be a pig there), turn right heading for Zell am See and turn off up to Saalbach at Maishofen. I don't think there are any little roads over the top.

I'd just like to add... winter tyres Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aah not quite the question you asked, which is a good thing when my computer is too shite and retarded to do anything useful with that link. The Spielberghaus is a mountain hut sort of affair, so I imagine that road (weg means path), will be some small road they use to get food/supplies up to the hut. I reckon a compromise between the two routes above could work, go trhough Fieberbrunn, then go Saalfelden, Maishofen Saalbach. This seems to cut what seems to be (on google maps) a stupid loop out to Lofer, although it could be a bigger road... That way at Fiederbrunn you can still check how suitable the spielbergweg is.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your help clarky 999 and Bode Swiller ; Saalfelden looks the safer option!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pjd, I'm sure a Saalbach expert will be along soon, but that looks like snowmobiles only in winter to me?

Via Saalfelden in the only route afaik, as Bode Swiller said, avoid a Saturday if you can?

Are you driving from or via Innsbruck ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No chance in winter!

Looking at the satellite view on google maps then it looks a decent track and checking on www.austrianmap.at (just put saalbach into the search box) shows it as a track.

So probably okay in summer on a tractor or a mountain bike. Might even be passible in a 4x4.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robboj - we're driving in a hire car from Innsbruck airport. Sound like we'd better not risk the Spielbergweg - thanks Rob W. We'll be travelling midweek so hopefully Saalfelden will be ok.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pjd, barring accidents etc Saalfelden will be fine midweek, its just the sheer volume of traffic on changeover day that can be problematic.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller's directions are correct. The AA's route looks fascinating - love to try it! As RobW says, there is a road/track over the top but it certainly isn't open in winter (I believe). I thought that probably only local farmers would be allowed to use it in the summer. Looking at a local map I see that it is marked as 'Closed for motor traffic' between the Burgeralm (just before the Spielberghaus) and pretty well Saalbach at the other end. You can drive to the Burgeralm in summer (and possibly in winter too?) and can use the track for hiking or mountain-biking.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks espri, the AAs time of 1hr 57 mins from Innsbruck aiport did look ambitious to me. I'll try the normal route. A new reort for all of us. Looking forward to it!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The Spielberghaus is a mountain hut sort of affair

A bit of a deviation from the topic, but the following link takes you to an interesting link about the Spielberghaus: http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2005/06/04/AR2005060400770_2.html
I've walked up to it in summer, but in winter they take you up to it in a cage on the back of a piste basher, and then, after a meal and a party, you toboggan down. The only time I signed up for it, we turned up at the piste basher suitably attired and full of anticipation, but there was too much snow and it was all cancelled. I agree that the Spielbergweg in winter doesn't sound promising, unless you're on a toboggan.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

The Spielberghaus is a mountain hut sort of affair

A bit of a deviation from the topic, but the following link takes you to an interesting link about the Spielberghaus: http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2005/06/04/AR2005060400770_2.html
I've walked up to it in summer, but in winter they take you up to it in a cage on the back of a piste basher, and then, after a meal and a party, you toboggan down. The only time I signed up for it, we turned up at the piste basher suitably attired and full of anticipation, but there was too much snow and it was all cancelled. I agree that the Spielbergweg in winter doesn't sound promising, unless you're on a toboggan.

You can book it through Furstauer Ski Schule (in the centre of town) too wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tatman's Tours wrote:
I agree that the Spielbergweg in winter doesn't sound promising, unless you're on a toboggan.

Or driving a piste basher Laughing

I presume that trip's from the Saalbach end?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I presume that trip's from the Saalbach end?

Yes, from memory you catch the piste basher from up Hinterhagweg at the top of the village.
latest report
With my interest aroused by this thread, today I drove up to the Burgeralm and from there I walked on to the Spielberghaus (and later up to the top of the Kleberkopf nearby). Now I can definitiely confirm that the road is officially closed to traffic (and would be practically impossible in winter - it is steep and windy enough just now). Actually, it would have been possible to drive over to Saalbach today, for the gate wasn't closed but the roadsign says it should be (the border is the one between Tyrol and Salzburger Land):

At the Spielberghaus there were cabins on skis which I assume are what you use when towed up behind the piste basher:

Here's a view from above the Spielberghaus towards Saalbach and the Schattberg. Not much snow yet, though it is supposed to snow tomorrow (though mostly further west):

And, finally, a panoramic view (almost 360°) from the top of the Kleberkopf (I've tried to identify the mountains in the comments in the mediaZone):

It was a fine autumn day, perhaps the last wandering day of the year - roll on the snow Very Happy
snow report
It was a fine autumn day, perhaps the last wandering day of the year
[/quote]
espri, You've made me feel extremely envious![quote]
snow report
espri, maybe you should send your report to the AA?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
espri, maybe you should send your report to the AA?

I have now sent a comment to the AA Routeplanner with a link to this thread. I don't know how fast such services can react but they do ask for comments. We shall see!
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
espri, You've made me feel extremely envious!

Just what I was hoping Laughing Laughing
snow report
espri, what brilliant service! Really glad I aksed on this forum rather than follow blindly the AA's route . I did half wonder from your pic and post whether the Wegende an der Grenze sign might be an old sign and cos of Schengen they have to keep the border gate open all the time. Either way there's not a cat in hells chance that I'd drive that way in winter with a minibus now that I know what the road is like and with the possibility of the road being blocked by a gate. Thanks again.
latest report
Quote:

Really glad I aksed on this forum rather than follow blindly the AA's route

Whether you're following a route like that, or a satnav, you always need to check on a map - old fashioned sort, with paper pages.
latest report
I have today received a reply from the AA which may be of general interest:
AA wrote:
Dear Eric

Thank you for your email in which I was sorry to hear of the difficulties you have been encountering with AA Route Planner. Please also accept my sincere apologies for the delay in replying.

I can immediately see the problem to which you refer. We are able to temporarily amend our data here, but it does sound like this problem is more widespread across a number of online route planners and SatNav systems. To that end, you might be interested to know that data for almost all these systems comes from one of just two organisations, Navteq (www.navteq.com) and TeleAtlas (www.teleatlas.com). Both websites have dedicated customer feedback pages, and if you complete these you will effectively have access to almost all users of navigations systems.

I hope this helps. In the meantime please accept my apologies for any inconvenience, but at the same time may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with your feedback.

Kind regards

David Arnold
Manager Mapping Databases & Production
AA Media Limited

Maybe I'll contact the other sites sometime.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy