Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

M25 congestion question

Poster: A snowHead
Okay all, heading down from Scotland to Meribel via Dover for Christmas on the 23rd December (Thursday). Just wondering for those of you around London what time in the afternoon does the M25 congestion start and roughly what time does it start to quieten down again. Ferry check-in at the latest 10.45pm.

On all our previous journeys we have hit the M25 in the middle of the night so no problems usually.

Cheers in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure of the timing of the evening rush hour but I'd recommend going clockwise and over the dartford crossing. The Leatherhead to Heathrow bit is often very congested in both directions. There are also some lane widening roadworks in the Hertfordshire and Essex sections at the moment.

I'd imagine the evening rush would be approx 4-7pm but hopefully someone who drives round it regularly will be able to confirm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rush hour usually from about 6am until about 5:59am in my experience, especially between M11 and M4 in both directions! Confused
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you should be crossing the Dartford Bridge at around 20.00 and the hordes will still be in Lakeside and Bluewater doing last minute Christmas shopping so it should be clear but there again?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GixerGirl, definitely clockwise over the crossing,. the problem is the roadworks from Jnc 28 - 29 which can be rather slow . Allow extra time cos if there's a lane closure due to accident it could add half an hour. The rush hour continues (usually) until 8.00pm but I suspect that will not be the case on 23rd December.

Depending on where you plan to join the M25, aim to be on the M25 by 7:30pm and you should be fine - you might get there by 9:30 but allows a good margin if there's problems. If you are joining at the M11 then you could stretch that to 8:00pm

Under no circumstances (unless the clockwise is closed or something) take the anticlockwise.

edit: good point above re Lakeside - that coudl add to the congestion, plus there's bluewater over the bridge but that should be ok going away from the crossing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's generally OK around 4am which is the time we commence our skiing journey!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GixerGirl, depends where you join the M25 as to which way round you go. There's a chance you're coming down the M40 from the M6/M42 in which case it's a toss up. Personally I'd go south because the Dartford Crossing can be a nightmare and, if for any reason the road is blocked, you're only option to get across is to head inland and find the Blackwall tunnel etc like everyone else. At least going south you are already south of the river and can turn off, find another route. Around Dartford the Lakeside and Bluewater mob will be out in force having prangs at will. Best to avoid.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, actually, I'd probably agree it's a toss up if she's joining at M40, but I reckon (as a very regular user) the crossing would be ok on 23rd and at that time of the evening.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have to agree with Bode Swiller, Dartford can be a nightmare most days from 4pm onwards, plus Xmas and Lakeside added to the mix. if it all goes t*ts, youre stuck. Going south from the M40 will give you alternatives and though busy does keep moving.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the M25 is congested all day every day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A1-M11 is the way to go 15 miles to the bridge and M2 to Dover is the way to go, the bridge should be clear. What really confused the auto tolls is having a Dart Tag and a Telepeage Tag stuck next to each other!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GixerGirl, assume you'll be coming down the A1M? If so, may be worth coming off at Huntingdon and looping round to the M11, thus missing out on some of the congestion on the M25. As suggested above, aim to get on at around 8pm. Barring major problems, that ought to be fine for an hour and a half to Dover, leaving you a decent safety margin.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 25-11-10 17:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From M40 the AA recommend going SOUTH - 22 miles longer via Dartford.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GixerGirl, Assuming two hours from M40 to Dover, you'll need to hit the M25 at 8:45. Allowing an extra 1/2 hour and you'll be fine at that time of night. I would go anti-clockwise form the bottom of the M40. Current road works at hemel and further round towards the bridge.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for A1-M11. Keep an ear on the traffic reports, and leave plenty of time! This is one of the reasons I use Norfolk line, I book an 8pm ferry and aim to arrive for the 6pm one, if I'm late I'll just get the later ferry.
If you hear of bad traffic around the QE2 bridge, you can always stay on the M11, then A406,A13,Dartford Tunnel, A2 or A20 - shouldn't be too awful about 8pm.
ski holidays
Most people would have finished work for the Christmas break on the Friday so I would be surpised if you encounter any traffic this close to Christmas... saying that you might find yourself queing on the A2 for due to Bluewater but i doubt it will have a major effect on travel times.
snow report
If joining on the M40 definitely go anticlockwise, otherwise you will end up going through the roadworks around the M1 junction.
Also you'll avoid the Lakeside/Bluewater nightmare.
If joining M1 or A1 then go clockwise. Normally traffic is lighter after 7pm, but it depends if someone has had an accident Sad
I've always done M6/M40 when coming from Scotland, even if it is Edinburgh on the East coast.
snow report
Guess none of us are sure which way GixerGirl will be coming - East(ish) or West side of UK. Personally, I'd still head for A1M but, def go anti-clockwise from M40 to avoid the roadworks around hemel etc - absolute nightmare more often than not anywhere rear busy periods.
latest report
sbirring wrote:
I've always done M6/M40 when coming from Scotland, even if it is Edinburgh on the East coast.
Definately.

I need to get from Reading to Folkstone - checkin 4PM on Christmas eve.... reckon on 2 1/2 hours for that....?
snow report
Thanks all, we're coming down the M1, leaving at junction 6a, around the M25 Junction 21 area. Counting the days down now Very Happy
ski holidays
GixerGirl, I'd seriously give some thought to crossing over to the A1M at some point in the journey (Leicester, Nottingham?) in that case, and then as per above recommendations - roadworks on the M25 at the M1 junction have reduced lanes and it's very often quite congested.
snow conditions
GixerGirl wrote:
Thanks all, we're coming down the M1, leaving at junction 6a, around the M25 Junction 21 area. Counting the days down now Very Happy
Personally, although longer, I'd use M6 M40. Bottom of the M6 around Rugby and the M1 maybe the places you get delayed, especially the time you're going to hit that area.
snow conditions
GixerGirl, tell me to mind my own business but, from Peebles (if that is where you're starting from), I'd head out to Biggar and on to the A74/M6/M42/M40/M25 south. Got to be quicker than A1/M1 side (if that's what you're thinking).
ski holidays
Not the A74M to Carlisle, then A66 across to A1? Guess it depends on what time one hits the peak traffic, and where.
snow conditions
Actually, if I wanted to drive from Peebles to the alps, I wouldn't start from Peebles.
ski holidays
Paris, or possibly Slough? Tokyo and New York might be a bit of a bitch.
latest report
23rd Dec there will be toffee all traffic, and it will be completely unpredictable. Much better to leave an hour for delays on the M25, and it will be less than that.

The M40 isn't a good route, M6/M1 significantly quicker because you cut out a 30 minute trip from the M40 to M1 that I have to do every day. Plus there's loads of roadworks on the second half of that route, so you are likely to be at 20-40mph even if it is moving reasonably.

M1 to Dover isn't bad, and won't be on the 23rd, I'd instinctively avoid 4-6:30pm and 7-9am, but the morning likely to be worse than the afternoon because many people will be taking half days so rush hour could go all over the place.
ski holidays
Quote:

The M40 isn't a good route, M6/M1 significantly quicker because you cut out a 30 minute trip from the M40 to M1 that I have to do every day

Monium, but you wouldn't go the north way round from M40, south is shorter and quicker.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GixerGirl wrote:

Go Clockwise via Dartford Crossing. I've done the Chunnel from J11 M1 in 2 hours, but I'd allow more. if you allow 3 hours from J6a you'll be there in plenty of time. No way go Anti-clockwise via H'row if coming down the M1.
ski holidays
Spyderman, +1
snow report
GixerGirl wrote:

get off the M1 as others have said = there are roadworks at Jnc 13 which have been a right PITA recently. There really is nothign to be gained by staying on.
snow conditions
those roadworks at 28/29 are a bit of a nightmare...i got caught in rush hour for an hour a couple of weeks back, I'd check with the highways agency whether they are suspended over the run up to Christmas/over Xmas or not but as above, leave a good extra hour or so and you will be fine.
ski holidays
28/29 roadworks have been ok this week, eevn though there have been accidents - I was only delayed 5 mins to night even with a shunt in lane 3 that everyone had to get round.
latest report
At 8pm the M25 is almost empty. Go whichever way you think is easiest.
snow report
bar shaker,
Quote:

Totally agree but would also recommend listening to the Traffic Reports on the radio and if the motorway is shut due to an accident give yourself the option of going the otherway. It may add 30 minutes to your journey but you will potentially miss the frustraion of sitting stationary for a couple of hours.......
snow report
bar shaker, marky, I wouldnt agree when I'm on the M25 trying to get to Jnc 28 from the M1 at 8:00pm - it's still busy through the week but no biggie.
snow conditions
Anyone know if the roadworks/widening on the M11 near Stansted are finished? We got caught up a couple of times early this year. The official detour seemed to go nearly to Thetford, nice enough place but not at midnight in January.
snow report
sanman, Yes they are, the M25 is being widened from Junc 28 (a12) down to Junc 29 (a127) and then onto the Dartford Crossing
ski holidays
marky wrote:
bar shaker,
Quote:

Totally agree but would also recommend listening to the Traffic Reports on the radio and if the motorway is shut due to an accident give yourself the option of going the otherway. It may add 30 minutes to your journey but you will potentially miss the frustraion of sitting stationary for a couple of hours.......

+1

Especially if you decide to go clockwise - if the bridge or the tunnel* are closed then your options are extremely limited.
Tune to any BBC station and make sure your TA is on.

Oh - and don't worry - the M25 really isn't that bad outside the rush hours and the Surrey stretch (which we use a lot) is much better since the T5 Heathrow spur and the extra lanes were finished. Plus the variable speed limit does actually work.

*bridge is normally Southbound and the tunnel Northbound but if they have to close one then you can have two-way traffic on the other crossing. ie 4 lanes into 2.
snow conditions
I've covered roughly 30,000 miles on the M25 in the past 14 months (many travelling at <40mph). I'd recommend joining at the A1m (Jnc 23) and travelling anti-clockwise down, much of the roadworks are complete now, join about 7.30pm or later, and take the contra flow where available and you'll be fine....barring an accident or such.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy