Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire for Lake Tahoe California

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone offer any advice please re car hire from San Francisco airport to drive to Heavely, Tahoe.
I have a Premium Elite SUV (BMW X3 or similar) booked from Alamo but they cannot guarantee winter tyres and you are not allowed to put snow chains on rental vehicles.
Has anyone rented a SUV with winter tyres from any of the many car hire companys in San Francisco?
Or am I worrying unnecessarily!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dippy wrote:
Can anyone offer any advice please re car hire from San Francisco airport to drive to Heavely, Tahoe.
I have a Premium Elite SUV (BMW X3 or similar) booked from Alamo but they cannot guarantee winter tyres and you are not allowed to put snow chains on rental vehicles.
Has anyone rented a SUV with winter tyres from any of the many car hire companys in San Francisco?

For Lake Tahoe, winter tires are not necessary. Roads are usually well cleared.

As a general rule, winter tires are relatively rare in the US. It falls into the category of nice to have but non-essential.

Just make sure it’s got all-season tires and have good amount of threads.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc wrote:
.. As a general rule, winter tires are relatively rare in the US. It falls into the category of nice to have but non-essential. ..

wink yeah. And Canada. They're really common in internet threads though, which is kind of weird the more I think about it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can try snow socks, if chains disallowed.

AutoSock, Goodyear, etc. from Walmart or others.

Check local laws, like R1/2/3.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
phil_w wrote:
abc wrote:
.. As a general rule, winter tires are relatively rare in the US. It falls into the category of nice to have but non-essential. ..

wink yeah. And Canada. They're really common in internet threads though, which is kind of weird the more I think about it.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

You'll be fine with what they are shod with - any restrictions will say winter tyres or 4x4 required - usually over the passes Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Winter tires are virtually unheard of in mainstream areas of North American, and I would certainly describe your trip in this way. Just make sure you get an AWD vehicle as you have requested.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
Dippy wrote:

Yeah this would have been terrible advice last winter when there was so much snow I met one Brit group who couldn't ski the first 2 days of their trip because they couldn't even get over the snow berm outside their condo.

You probably won't get snow tyres easily reserved but you can usually check the cars in the row and ask to be assigned one with the best tyres I.e. look for all seasons with 3PMSF.

Getting some cables from Walmart may be a useful back up plan. Just be careful in fitting them and there is no reason the hire Co should ever know if you need to use them in extremis.

Don't drive like a dick and remember to use gearing over brakes when it gets sketchy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did that same trip back in 2005 and did not even think about it.
I picked out a Tahoe for a rig as it seemed to have the right name on it.

Stay away from the gambling at Harvey's but the burlesque show is worth a look.
Dont just go to Heavenly drive up to Truckee and try the resorts up there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did that same trip back in 2005 and did not even think about it.
I picked out a Tahoe for a rig as it seemed to have the right name on it.

Stay away from the gambling at Harvey's but the burlesque show is worth a look.
Dont just go to Heavenly drive up to Truckee and try the resorts up there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You won't find winter tires at SFO, but unless all hell breaks loose (like last year), you won't need them or chains. What you're renting will have AS tires for sure, and with AWD there will be no problem going up or down Echo. I will mention this: the last quarter mile to the California (Gunbarrel) base is steep and shady, so if it's cold, pay attention there. That's the base you want, as the gondo can shut down in wind.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When are you flying into SFR? Usually arrivals from the UK are mid-late afternoon. If so, I would counsel staying overnight and then driving out the next morning. Not just because of jet lag but the journey is much easier in the daylight. Drive time via Sacramento is about 3½ hours, to which you'd add stops, and remember you have to get through US Immigration, then car hire and rental pickup before you're on 101 and away.

The alternative is to transfer to San José just down Route 101 and catch a flight into Reno then drive down from the north, but the three times we went to Heavenly, we just did the car hire and drive from SFR, albeit always with a morning departure out of the Bay Area.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
phil_w wrote:
abc wrote:

Actually, Canada do believe in winter tires. All of Quebec REQUIRES winter tires from something like November 1 to April 31. Ontario possibly too. Don’t know enough about the western provinces where most people go alpine skiing though.

That’s why I specified just US.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did Tahoe from SFO last year.

I rented from Thrifty, and despite reserving chains, they refused to give them. "If it's bad enough for chains, we don't want you out on the road".

Ultimately, we didn't need them as the roads were clear, and we didn't get any fresh snow.

Also, FWIW, the best skiing we had was mid-week at Kirkwood (about an hour's drive from Heavenly). The place was very, very quiet, and the conditions were almost perfect (given that there was no fresh snow).

Lastly, across the road from the Heavenly gondola base, the Flatstick Pub is well worth a visit. Superb selection of beers, and very filling pizzas.

Where are you staying?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Can try snow socks, if chains disallowed.

AutoSock, Goodyear, etc. from Walmart or others.

Check local laws, like R1/2/3.

Thank you have found some helpful info relating to R1/2/3 online which I printed to read and digest!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
abc wrote:
Dippy wrote:

Yeah this would have been terrible advice last winter when there was so much snow I met one Brit group who couldn't ski the first 2 days of their trip because they couldn't even get over the snow berm outside their condo.

You probably won't get snow tyres easily reserved but you can usually check the cars in the row and ask to be assigned one with the best tyres I.e. look for all seasons with 3PMSF.

Getting some cables from Walmart may be a useful back up plan. Just be careful in fitting them and there is no reason the hire Co should ever know if you need to use them in extremis.

Don't drive like a dick and remember to use gearing over brakes when it gets sketchy.

I think thats what got me worried - reading all the reports from last year which I understand was a bit of an exception!
Thankfully we drive 2/3 times a year to the alps and feel quite happy / confident driving in more challenging conditions and are fine with putting sox / chains on.
Will definitely keep an eye for forecast and head to Walmart if needed.
snow report
LaForet wrote:
When are you flying into SFR? Usually arrivals from the UK are mid-late afternoon. If so, I would counsel staying overnight and then driving out the next morning. Not just because of jet lag but the journey is much easier in the daylight. Drive time via Sacramento is about 3½ hours, to which you'd add stops, and remember you have to get through US Immigration, then car hire and rental pickup before you're on 101 and away.

The alternative is to transfer to San José just down Route 101 and catch a flight into Reno then drive down from the north, but the three times we went to Heavenly, we just did the car hire and drive from SFR, albeit always with a morning departure out of the Bay Area.

Wont be driving till the day after landing - visiting family first then will drive to Tahoe - gives us time to find chains / sox if necessary!
ski holidays
DaddyLouLou wrote:
I did Tahoe from SFO last year.

I rented from Thrifty, and despite reserving chains, they refused to give them. "If it's bad enough for chains, we don't want you out on the road".

Ultimately, we didn't need them as the roads were clear, and we didn't get any fresh snow.

Also, FWIW, the best skiing we had was mid-week at Kirkwood (about an hour's drive from Heavenly). The place was very, very quiet, and the conditions were almost perfect (given that there was no fresh snow).

Lastly, across the road from the Heavenly gondola base, the Flatstick Pub is well worth a visit. Superb selection of beers, and very filling pizzas.

Where are you staying?

Thats great to know - thank you!
We are staying at the Marriott Grand, South Lake - right next to the Gondola, so will most definitely check out the Flatstick Pub.
Have bought a Tahoe Local pass as that seemed to suit us best (passes are a mindfield to work out) that gives us access to Kirkwood, Northstar and Heavenly - so yes will definitely get to Kirkwood. Did you drive there?
ski holidays
Thank you everyone for very helpful replies - think I was just over thinking the whole thing!
We have a SUV booked from Alamo which states they do not allow snow chains to be fitted, but it seems unlikely I would be able to rent any vehicle and add snow chains from the renter anyway!
Not going till early March so I have plenty of time to figure it out - hopefully!
snow report
If you do go for the Walmart option remember you'll have to buy in the flatlands of Cali as otherwise you are up and over. There are of course options available at gas stations and auto stores but they lack the same refundability if unused. West Sac or Tracy , depending on which way you drive out have stores by the interstate.

A lot of your concern is eliminated if you aren't planning on driving up the hill everyday. Cali base is a steep pull up the last pitch and in a storm someone will always be undertractioned. Similarly NV bases involve a steep climb up Kingsbury followed by a potential log flume down to the parking lots.
snow report
If you do go for the Walmart option remember you'll have to buy in the flatlands of Cali as otherwise you are up and over. There are of course options available at gas stations and auto stores but they lack the same refundability if unused. West Sac or Tracy , depending on which way you drive out have stores by the interstate.

A lot of your concern is eliminated if you aren't planning on driving up the hill everyday. Cali base is a steep pull up the last pitch and in a storm someone will always be undertractioned. Similarly NV bases involve a steep climb up Kingsbury followed by a potential log flume down to the parking lots.

Thank you - I've noted that down. Hopefully as we are staying right next to the Gondola in Heavenly we wont be doing too much driving, other than to Kirkwood and North Star. And possibly some of the other hills within driving distance - if I decide we can afford the additional cost of the passes (thats another topic). I just wish they would do one pass for a couple of weeks for outsiders like me! Its season passes or crazy day passes!
ski holidays
@Dippy, Yeah you'll be fine with Epic pass. Tahoe tourist board used to do coupon based passes for international tourists that gave you a couple of days at each resort but I think that long since disappeared in the pass wars. It's worth the drive up to Nstar (in good weather) at least once for the lake views though get there early for parking. Kweed is special and has yet to be ruined by Vail though the drive can be character building (getting whited out on Carson Pass is a joy few would wish to repeat).
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, Thank you - so the lesson is to check weather before setting out to Kirkwood and Northstar!
I was hoping to find possibly and coupon or something similar for discounted day passes to Palisades, sugar bowl etc when we are there but I'm guessing that looks unlikely.
Pity - go all that and seems rather restrictive!
ski holidays
We're over there for NY as well, family live in Truckee. Lift passes are madness, Ikon 3 or 4 day will be what we use and then do a few days at Donner etc as well but all racking up. I go a lot and generally rent at SFO and then watch weather mainly for getting back !
snow report
Yeah you'll struggle to get deals on tickets elsewhere. Mt Rose does 2fer Tuesday and you might get some Sierra early bird day tix if you buy now but you'd probably have to commit on Ikon day tix now for Palisades.
snow report
Keeping an eye on this thread, we're heading out at the end of Feb, have rented a 12 seater van (7 of us) which will be rwd and we're planning on driving to Pallisades, Nstar and possibly Kirkwood so will do some checks on the chains.
We're doing the pm arrival and drive to Tahoe (staying at the Stardust lodge by Heavenly) so fingers crossed for quick trip through immigration.... Eh oh!
ski holidays
Am I doing something wrong? I`m trying to find lift prices for Sugar Bowl but get the message to check back this fall! I`m not even sure I`ll ski and if I do it`ll only be for an hour or two, is there the concept of family shared lift passes as there are in some European resorts? Mainly I`ll be babysitting the youngest generation.
latest report
orange wrote:
We're over there for NY as well, family live in Truckee. Lift passes are madness, Ikon 3 or 4 day will be what we use and then do a few days at Donner etc as well but all racking up. I go a lot and generally rent at SFO and then watch weather mainly for getting back !

Thats good to know - thank you.
Feel a bit happier now - we should be ok with a SUV from Alamo
snow conditions
Yeah you'll struggle to get deals on tickets elsewhere. Mt Rose does 2fer Tuesday and you might get some Sierra early bird day tix if you buy now but you'd probably have to commit on Ikon day tix now for Palisades.

Thank you I'll check this out - we have 13 days staying in Heavenly so wasnt sure how quickly I would get bored with just the x3 areas to ski but also didnt want to spend out on lift passes we may not use.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jefbenitez wrote:
Keeping an eye on this thread, we're heading out at the end of Feb, have rented a 12 seater van (7 of us) which will be rwd and we're planning on driving to Pallisades, Nstar and possibly Kirkwood so will do some checks on the chains.
We're doing the pm arrival and drive to Tahoe (staying at the Stardust lodge by Heavenly) so fingers crossed for quick trip through immigration.... Eh oh!

I'm also flying out at very end of Feb and staying in Heavenly.
I found a very helpful article on www.kqed.org - What to know about safe driving to Tahoe in winter from chain control to snow forecasts to road conditions.
I'm sure if you google it you will come across it - sorry i'm not clever enough to add a link.
snow report
I know that you can get discounts for lift tickets from Coscos in Canada.
Does anyone know if there is a similar deal in the US?
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
I know that you can get discounts for lift tickets from Coscos in Canada.
Does anyone know if there is a similar deal in the US?

Yes, but it’s year to year. Don’t know what it’s in store for 23/24

From South Lake Tahoe, Sierra is easy to get to. But personally I’m not a big fan of it. Just a lot of same parallel runs. Unless you’re into skiing the trees, that is. But if you are into skiing trees, Northstar is even better. And free for Epic pass holder. But it’s a long drive from South Lake Tahoe though. (Mt Rose is still a pretty long drive too). I would suggest 1 week at south and 1 week at north Lake Tahoe instead.

The drive to Kirkwood can be a white knuckle affair in any but the best weather. That being the reason why it hasn’t been mobbed.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 7-11-23 20:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
The local ski shops will probably have discounted tickets for the independant ski areas, usually 20% off.
They did when we were there, but that was a good number of seasons ago now.

Nice to see Mt. Rose still doing the Tuesday deal - certainly worth going to, as is Sugarbowl and Kirkwood Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@abc, An old ski buddy of mine came and met us for a day at Heavely and took us to ski in the trees at Sierra as you suggested.
I had not seen for years and did not know he had a place up in Truckee, he invited us up to his and we had a day up there.
I'm not sure if it was North Star.
ski holidays
Bones wrote:
The local ski shops will probably have discounted tickets for the independant ski areas, usually 20% off.
They did when we were there, but that was a good number of seasons ago now.

Nice to see Mt. Rose still doing the Tuesday deal - certainly worth going to, as is Sugarbowl and Kirkwood Madeye-Smiley

thank you - I've just looked at Mt Rose - definitely looks like its will be worth a visit
ski holidays
Sierra has a hell of a lot of less trees than it used to courtesy of the Caldor fire and skis totally differently now apparently now they've rebuilt.
snow report
There’s also Homewood. Half way before reaching Palisade, provided the roads around Emerald Bay is open. (But if the road is closed, it’s a really, really long drive to get to Palisade!)
snow conditions
Heavenly just sent an email saying they will be charging $20 for parking at California base on weekends and holidays. Sounds like a good deal compared with the gondo base Marriott, where the OP is staying. They charge $35/day, valet only. Ugh. If its a windy weekend, they could be "forced" to pay both if the gondo closes! Ah hell, it's only money. Just groove on the view, one of the best in skiing, in a place where the view can usually be seen.
snow report
The OP needs the car to get around. So there’s no avoiding having a car and paying to park there. But we don’t know, maybe guests get to park for free.

The Marriott Grand isn’t cheap. So even if it’s extra $35 to park there, clearly the OP can afford it.
snow conditions
@abc, we do know, if we check their website. And I found the Grand to be a pretty good deal for a place within walking distance to the lift.
latest report
I just checked and almost certainly there isn't a better deal for anyone staying in South Lake than the Tahoe value pass if you can dodge the blackout dates and buy while it is still on sale I.e. before early December.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy