Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baby bungees-start 'em young.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, I have absolutely no SCGB heritage what so ever and this is my first post in your lovely forum. I do worship the fluffy white stuff though. And I'm nice Very Happy

So, for my first post, a request for information (it's all take take take with you etc.... wink

My sister is about to sprog, and though I realise that a 6 month old bairn may not be able to ski THIS time, I'm all for preparing in advance and letting intentions be known.....

Over the last few years I've seen a growing number of skiing toddlers on the end of bungee thingys (good description ay?). I thought one of these might be a cool birth present. BUT, I can't find 'em anywhere on the internet.

Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea what you're talking about I'm afraid, so I can't offer any advice but I can offer a warm welcome to Snowheads snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i know what you mean, i think it's basically a set of toddler reins. any child friendly shop should sell them. try mothercare
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Okay, sorry for the crap description! Basically they stop toddlers careering off down the piste. They're kind of like toddler reins but some that I saw this year were elasticated- they might well have been home crafted though. I've only really noticed them this last season. Anyway I'll keep looking.

I'll try mothercare and places like that- thanks nbt.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bexen, welcome to snowHead snowHeads! snowHead Nul points for observation as far as I'm concerned, I've never noticed any such thing on the pistes!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, I'm not sure just how common they are, I noticed it most this year in La Rosiere, which is pretty much a beginners/family/french resort. Not noticed it so much in bigger resorts where kids are maybe not so welcome -I'm the FIRST to admit that I have sworn (under my breath of course) at kids on skis- especially 'cos some of the little bugs are swifter than me Twisted Evil heh heh!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look at http://www.kidski.com. Our youngster started with their pole before he was 6 months old: his first slide was before he could walk. Now at three and half he is skiing just about the whole mountain (not quite all day, but not far off it!) http://saxons.fotopic.net/p13758549.html

Be careful with reins though. Quite a lot of them are attached too far up the back and just have the effect of pulling the child over backwards. Those which attach around the waist are better as that's more where the kid's centre of gravity is. The kidski ones are also attached at the front, and so by pulling on one side or the other you can encourage them to turn.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My ESF instructor in Courchevel mentioned taking young children for lessons, and using reins to steer or slow them down. He was't keen on this technique and preferred to teach children at an age where they could learn to ski without any "dual controls".
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice guys.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bexen, welcome to snowHead
I always thought the reins were to get the kid to pull u all over the mountain so you didn't need to use any effort wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've seen them a fair bit in N.America. I can't see that they'll help the kid to ski; I think that they're more for the parents benefit ('Of course, we had Claudia on the slopes at 15 months and she was doing black runs before she was potty trained.'). My experience suggests that a good ski school/kindergarten combo is best at the age of 4 (or 3 at a pinch), although it'll vary a lot from kid to kid.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bexen, a cool birth present would be for you to open a "sprog skiing fund" savings account with, say, the cost of one of those bluddy awful toddler leashes. You could add a few quid every month, and then when the sprog is old enough to stand up in skis your Sis won't have any excuses in due course for failing to attend skiing holidays with said sprog in tow. Believe me, your money will go down MUCH better with your Sis than a stretchy cord which inevitably finds a more suitable use holding down your equipment on the ski rack ! (Personally, I find kid leashes a horrible idea on the streets and downright dangerous on the slopes, but that's another topic....)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, Laughing Not too keen on the idea though, the experience would be a bit like being sitting in the passenger seat next to Colin McRae during the Monte Carlo rally in my case!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, I'm still at the stage where it takes all 3 of my kids to pull/push me on my roller-blades round Hyde Park at a decent speed! Mush!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bexen, HAve read teh variety of opinions on them with interest. My 2p worth is that if you do get some (and i have used them happily) make sure please that you get the ones specifically designed for the purpose. It is not the normal old fashioned toddler reins, but a full harness, more like an adult would wear to absail l(sorry, best description i can think of), ie not just reains around the check, but also through the legs, etc. Hope that helps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy