Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley A Frame lens advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've pretty much read all the lens related posts on this forum and others but still can't quite decide.

I've done 2 seasons so far around March/April with my persimmons. Great lens but I feel it's not good enough for the really bright days, although I have been managing ok'ish.

So far I've narrowed it down to the VR28, G30 or VR50 Emerald Iridium. I've tried the VR28 but not quite sure about the overall colour. It looks a bit dull? How do the other lenses compare? I don't really want to go darker than the VR28.

I appreciate any advice.

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rocsen, welcome to snowheads. You can't do all conditions well with one lense so it's best to go with two pairs - which then gives you a back-up pair. The two best Oakley lenses by far are the fire iridium for mid-bright light & the hi-yellow for low to mid light.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rocsen, I've just bought a spare lens for my A frames. VR28 Fire Iridium for bright conditions. Not had a chance to try it out yet. I was seriously thinking of a second pair but it really is quick and easy to swap the lenses around.

Oh and welcome to the madhouse Madeye-Smiley Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys Madeye-Smiley I will be keeping the persimmon so just need an extra lens for medium - bright conditions. Like I said the persimmon was just a tad too light for me in bright conditions so I don't want to go too dark. I briefly tried the VR28 black iridium and found them too dark. The fire iridium seems to be in the same category? i.e lets through less than 20% light.
So I'm basically looking at lenses that let through about 30% Are these oakley ratings even accurate?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Echo spyderjon, get a low-mid and a mid-bright. Not a fan of Fire Iridium myself, not mid-enough. I have hi-res yellow for flat-mid which is the best flat light lens I've ever used and blue iridium for mid-bright.

Skied most of last year on pink iridium though, which as an allrounder was brilliant
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rocsen, I`ve got a G30 irridium and it was excellent; was going to get a yellow lense but was put off by the difficulty of swopping lenses. The frame needs to be really warm to flex enough to change lens. I just bought a £28 yellow bolle so I can swop at a moments notice. The A frames de fog well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 on the Blue iriduim as a great lens for most of the time, HI blue (yellow) for when its snowing. I wouldn't count on swapping them at a moments notice though, second pair of goggles in the pocket if the weather looks iffy is the better bet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got the G30 lenses too which I am very happy with. Much the same as the VR28, with only 2% more light transmission, but the lens gives the snow a slightly bluey hue which I like. Contrast/snow definition is excellent. I use them most of the time unless the light is very flat when I switch to the Hi Yellow. The G30's don't cope quite so well with occasional, very direct, sunlight on exceptionally bright days but its not something that has made me feel like I need to buy a darker lens.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+2 on Blue Iridium. Used that lens for 4 seasons every day and there isn't a better all-round lens IMO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How much darker is the Blue Iridium / G30 compared to the VR28 ?

Looking at the lens tints (snow halfpipe) on Oakley's site, The blue iridium looks a tad washed out on the sunny side. How did you guys find snow visibility on the sunny days?

The other thing, how can a VR28 lens with an iridium coating(Blue Iridium) let through more than 28% light? It says 30% on Oakleys site

Thanks for all the input Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy