Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles to go over glasses

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Booked a week at Passo Tonale for 6 of us (me, wife and offspring between 10 and 23) over Christmas after getting some helpful advise on here.

We are all first time skiers (well I had a one week lads holiday about 20 years ago but we did not bother with any lessons so you can imagine the result - one of the guys we went with never did learn how to turn left!!) so are gradually putting together all the kit we need, using as much advise on this forum as possible.

Looking at goggles and got three pairs for myself and two elder sons for £10 a pair at TKMaks which I hope will be ok for first timers - no idea if this is going to become a regular event so do not really see the point in shelling out a fortune for something that may only get used once.

Issue now is that my wife and daugter needs to wear glasses all the time (won't wear contacts) otherwise they will probably end up skiing off the side of a mountian.

Anyone got any advice on goggles to go over glasses? - I appreciate I am not going to get them for £10 a pair but also do not really want to spend a fortune.

While I am at it - any advice on where to get goggles for a 10 year old?

Many thanks in advance

Rob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google "OTG goggles" (over the glasses) and you'll get a host of options. Can't comment on which brand is better, I suspect you'll need to try a few on to get the ones that best fit your face/glasses combo.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobWa, Plenty around at all prices, usually notified by OTG. Look here for a few examples.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobWa, There are a number of makers do OTG goggles. I use Bolle myself, they work OK, bought off internet.

Two things to watch. Firstly, if using varifocals, buy a cheap pair of single vision specs from eg http://www.glasses2you.co.uk for skiing. I found varifocals an absolute pain both for skiing and for walking on rough ground, because of the near (reading) lens at the bottom of the glasses. Means you have to carry another pair for reading the lunch menu - small price to pay! That's why I'm looking to see how a set of single vision contact lenses might work.

Secondly, you may have trouble getting goggles to go over a large framed pair of glasses - when I bought a pair of single vision I went for a rimless, smallish sized pair.

As an alternative, there are goggles available into which an insert, glazed to your prescription, fits. I haven't tried the goggle version but I do have a pair on sunspecs with this system http://www.kontrolsports.co.uk/product_list.asp?cat=5&cat2=1 (these work fine, and with the brown lenses the glazed insert isn't visible, but the inserts are very visible with the yellow lenses - look a bit geeky!). You then have to get the inserts glazed to your prescription, from someone like Ciliary Blue http://www.ciliaryblue.com/single_pricelist.html for £15 upwards.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Uvex optic. Go with the gold lens. Not especially stylish but very practical.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've optical inserts for Bolle goggles, they work very well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobWa, For the prescription goggle, google: RX ski goggles
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for very rapid responses - from these and the google search it seems this is not going to be quite the problem I had convinced myself this was going to be. Why I thought the ski industry would not have come up with a solution for people wearing glasses is beyond me Embarassed

Think I'll try and find some locally that wife and daughter can try on although the amazon route is a possibility as I've always found them pretty good on returns.

Thanks again

Rob
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've inserts too, with my distance prescription, cheap in Albertville. My OG has OTG goggles, which weren't expensive. Par contre, he had to try on loads of supposedly OTG glasses before he found a pair that meshed with his specs. Definitely not a purchase to make on the internet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
this site will provide you with all the options out there for glasses wearer skiers
http://www.rx-ski-goggles.com/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have good quality anti fog goggles, goggles are fine, prob is glases fog up
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

prob is glases fog up

Ski faster.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swirly, or maybe less energetically so you don't get so warm and then slow down and fog up.....I've just accepted that I take off goggles and glasses when going indoors as thats the problem time - if I remember rightly! Hopefully can update on techniques to avoid fog before Christmas Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
contact lensese
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I've just accepted that I take off goggles and glasses when going indoors as thats the problem time

How long did it take you to work that one out? Are you the slightly deranged person sitting at the bar wearing steamed up goggles and spilling his soup all down him?
snow conditions
kendub wrote:
Have good quality anti fog goggles, goggles are fine, prob is glases fog up

That's what I used to find. Are the inserts the only cure for this??
ski holidays
My eldest daughter wears specs all the time and after trying seemingly every pair of goggles on the market last week finally found some she was happy with, the Aldi offer ones!
ski holidays
I wear goggle over glasses.

I bought a rather expensive pair with a little battery fan to stop them steaming up.
Wate of money, they steam up!

Solution:
Buy ordinary goggles that fit your face (try lots on, not all are comfortable!) and have enough space for your glasses (you don't need huge space...read the next bit)
With a pair of nail scissors cut away about 1cm of the foam on each side to allow a channel for your specs frame arms to sit in, so that they are not squashed against the side of your head.

Cutting off that foam makes them comfortable to wear as a combo and significantly increases the air flow inside the goggle space.
As a result I almost never fog up at all, only very slightly if the temperature/sweat/air humidity is just combined right (ie wrong) and that is very rare indeed.
snow conditions
I bought a multi lens system to cover ski/cycling with or without prescription - see http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/99/tac-rx-shatterproof-prescription-multifunction-eyewear
I also have two frames so I can switch lenses quickly.
ski holidays
saw that Decathlon in Reading have own-brand OTG goggles with 2 different sets of tinted lenses for £39 - looked good value to me - might treat myself at eth weekend
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy