Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on which to book for xmas: Serre Chevalier, Risoul or Montgenevre?

Poster: A snowHead
My girlfriend and I have narrowed down our options for xmas to a half board hotel in either Serre Chev, Risoul or Montgenevre. We are on a tight budget, and all three options are pretty much the same price.

We are intermediate, with my girlfriend capable of skiing any piste she's tried and me tagging along on reds and hopefully a few blacks this time round.

We don't care about nightlife, we're after some good skiing (something nice to look at would be an advantage, as would tree-lined runs) and also a bit of variety, as my girlfriend gets easily bored doing the same runs over and over. Serre seems the obvious option to tick these boxes, but I'm a bit worried about the relatively low height and potential lack of snow.

The other two are higher (and I would therefore assume more snow-sure) but have less skiing to offer. Does anyone have any advice on which to go for? The snow history on igluski.com suggests that Montgenevre has had the most snow in December in the past few years, with Serre Chev coming in second and Montgenevre coming last. I know it's an impossible question to answer for sure, but is there likely to be a fair covering of snow in the resorts over xmas?

Any advice greatly appreciated Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
milzibkit, there are lots of North facing slopes in Serre Che, and lots of tree-lined runs. We've skied there at Christmas for the past 5-6 seasons and have always had decent cover, and often a nice dump of snow to top things up . When we went to Risoul to meet friends, conditions weren't as good as SC, and skiing was less extensive, with several pistes closed. (I think this was 2006/2007). Although Montgenevre's base is higher, SC's top lift is higher (2860) , and there is good snowmaking on village runs. Your girlfriend may find Monty a bit tame if she's sticking to the pistes, although it's better in Claviere.
There's already a decent snowfall in both Monty and SC.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
milzibkit,
Never been to Risoul and can't comment.
Montgenevre is on a pass and possibly as such collects a bit more snow than Serre Che.
Having said that Serre Che usually does pretty well for snow, although the base height is not that high it goes up fairly high as stated above and there is a very extensive network of snow cannons. I would not be unduly concerned about a slight difference in historical snow fall. If the weather is bad there is a lot more tree lined skiing in Serre Che than in Montgenevre as the base is lower. The snow record in the milky way beyond Claviere is a fair bit more patchy as this is in the rain shadow of the westerlies, though it can do well if the weather is coming up from the south.

If by something nice to look at you are referring to the villages then bits of Serre Che are your best bet, Montgenevre is probably better than it was since they underpassed it but some of the older villages in Serre Che are in my view a fair bit mroe attractive. ( Avoid some of the newer bits though).

I would definately say that there is a fair bit more variety to the piste skiing in Serre Che with a lot of decent off piste if the base is developed enough by then.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you buy a six day pass for Serre Che you can take one of the days in Montgenevre so you can get to experience both. In my view (totally biased) I think Serre Che has a lot more to offer especially if you want to challenge yourself a bit. Mongenevre has its charms but they are all on the ski runs. The resort has little enough to distinguish it.

Forget the night-life (gets in the way of skiing next day!) but do take in a walk in the old town of Briancon, an ice hockey match if the Red Devils (Briancon) are playing at home, usually every second Sat night but don't know about Christmas time. And of course, soak in the thermal spa in Monetier.

Ski wise, it's fun to go from one end of the resort and back again in a day (easier this year with new lift) but plenty of ground to cover.

And the views - to the Barre des Ecrins, Les Pelvoux, La Meije etc - are second to none.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
milzibkit, of the three I can only comment on Montgenevre but I would recommend it as a safe snow bet, good piste/lift system, decent school (Apeak) if you want a bit of instruction, reasonable prices compared to other resorts, friendly place generally. (I am sure these also apply to the other two though, I have a soft spot for the more southerly resorts). I am pretty sure I know the hotel in Montgenevre you have in mind and you cannot beat it's location for both skiing and apres. Best of luck with your choice but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am in Bardonecchia at the moment and the area has had quite a lot of snow and they are reporting over 90cm's on the top slopes of the Milky Way with more snow forecast this weekend, the temperatures have also dropped with it barely reaching zero degrees in the day now. So ulness there is a big change in the weather Serre Chevalier and Monti should both have pretty good snow for Xmas
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, I've done full seasons in all three. Cool And very nice they all were too.

For Christmas, I'd go for Montgenevre. - it's highest and you have the best chance of good snow that early in the season. From your description of your skiing standard I'd say you'll find it interesting enough, and if you go for the Monts de Lune pass you get a free day in Serre Chevalier, which you should definitely make the effort to go for (lots of people can't be bothered on the day because they have to get up early, and they miss out, in my opinion).

Montgenevre: best chance of good snow early season; nice range of pistes, predominantly intermediate; fun to ski over into Italy and eat pizza; nice compact town, very friendly atmosphere; several good bars and restaurants, but not mad busy nightlife. Make sure you eat at the Outside Burger next to the Rois Mages - best burgers in the whole of the Alps ever.

Serre Chevalier: bigger area; lots of trees; resort very spread out, atmosphere quite different in each village (I like Monetier best - highest, best skiing, cute villagey vibe, nice bars and restaurants); lower runs to resort may be closed that early in the season (though snow isn't looking at all bad so far).

Risoul: smallish ski area; best/highest runs over at the Vars side; nice compact town but very ugly purpose-built; quite few bars/restaurants and very limited evening options.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serre Chevalier as things look. Plenty of options above the towns if the runs to resort aren't sufficiently covered. Of 5 trips (2 early season) there I've never found that one couldn't ski to the villages.

Montgenevre OK, but not as challenging or varied IMO (qualify that by stating that I've only skied there for 2 days)

Risoul - not been there, but have friends who have who said pretty much what Lizzard reports.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We had a great time in montgenevre. If you are trying blacks for the first time there are a couple of not so difficult blacks in Montgenevre. My son was flying down one of them on his third week of ski school.

There is a decent amount of skiing in montgenevre and claviere combined and if your girlfriend gets bored she could head off to the rest of the milky way or spend the day in serre chevalier as others have said.

We had an amazing amount of snow in montgenevre when we went end of march/early april.

I haven't been to Risoul or Serre Chevalier.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I won a holiday to Risoul last winter and admit I'd have never have gone otherwise. I thought it was a fab ski area. They are experimenting with the North American approach of avalanche controlling within a zone so you aren't just restricted to the piste. This opened up a lot of terrain and so whilst on paper Risoul/Vars might look small, believe me it's not if you leave the piste!
That said I'd be worried about early snow conditions as it is so far south.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pretty much what Lizzard, and Chasseur, say. I've skiied all three but have a bias towards Serre Che (I would). Skiied Risoul early Jan. snow was ok but resort seemed quite compact. Did not find Mongenevre very challenging but food in Claviere is cheap and great. Have had some of the best snow over New Year in Serre Che. Checking out the webcams, it's looking good.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies everyone, very helpful (although not in a "now I definitely know which one to go to way", why couldn't you all have said "Go for this one, the others are absolute rubbish"?)

Think we'll wait a week and book Serre if the snow holds up, or Mont if the expected rise in temps next week affects Serre too much.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
defo agree with Montgenevre, and maybe to reduce initial cost try the hameau apts, we did it on a budget and ate out 5 nights out of 7, don't be put off by the under occupancy charge it was only £80 each for the week for 2 of us in 4 berth apt
and it was ski from the door. plus heated pool etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well the Serre Che option has sold out.

It's now between Montgenevre and a place in Val D'Isere, which is slightly more money. Would you think the extra cash is worth it? Snow in Tignes seems good so far, and that's next to Val D'Isere?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
milzibkit, everything else in Val d'Isere will cost about four times as much.
latest report
If you are on a tight budget why would you consider going to the most expensive resort in france.

In your position I would book montgenevre in the next 5 mins!
snow conditions
IMO, you shouldn't have waited to book SC, there's a ton of snow there already, and there are rumours afoot that they may be opening early. So book Montgenvre while you have the chance to.
ski holidays
snowymum, Hells Bells, I must be quite suggestible, because I have just done exactly that and booked it. Very Happy

Thanks very much for all the advice.
snow report
How exciting. I hope you like MG as much as we did.
snow conditions
if you go to the pictures section i have posted 3 from last easter in Montgenevre
it put another 10 inches down the night we left too
snow report
milzibkit, maybe you'll get a day in SC on your week's skipass - well worth the trip so you can see what you missed..... Toofy Grin wink Razz
snow report
yes the tour op runs a bus on the friday normally
if your not great ability skiers the best way to get to Claviere is a push down the valley, making sure to stay as high to the right as you can (we had to de-ski at one point and cross a bridge over a pond) but coming back the red run is easy that brings you back to Tibaud lift, and the 30 m where your cross the black run is ok too. the cafe up Gondtrans is resonably prices for lunch snacks or coffees and is never too crowded
ski holidays
Cockerhoop - does the lower run to claviere involve going along the cross country run at the bottom of tremplin lift and taking skis off at the bend where the cross country track starts to go uphill. We tried this option and carried our skis some way to claviere. Should we have gone up the hill a bit and then skiied along.

Then we tried the high up route which did feel fairly black at the top. I didn't mind the narrow red path it was the bit of the black it then joined which was unpisted. It seemed so steep I thought I'd never get a turn in!

I'd agree coming back from claviere is much easier.
snow report
yes i think so if you come down Tremplin bare right rather than going back to Tremplin lift or the Thibaud lift and its a cross country run down the valley if you get it right you get to the area at La coche lift without any walking, like i said we had a bit of pushing and one dismount as we were too far left. we only did it one morning for an italien pizza lunch
we also did the Thibaud lift up and round the back to Claviere, we did not intend going to the village just coming back up the Montiquitaine lift back to monty, using Baisses run but it was a bit confusing at the end of it to get down to the lift, you had to use the icy last 400m or the black soleil run
ourr main fun was up Gontrans and back to resort some lovely cruising, hope to go back someday
all the best snowymum xxx
snow report
So, I'm very excited about going to Montgenevre. I do have a problem though; how do you pronounce it? Embarassed

Mont - Jen - Evv? I really need to learn a little bit of French before we go!
snow conditions
The t in mont is silent. Not sure how to explain second syllable but it is not j for jam it is more like the french je meaning I.
ski holidays
my guess is with snowymum, mon shyen ev..
snow conditions
milzibkit It is indeed pronounced similar to your suggestion but you don't the 't' as others have commented.

Mon jen evv is about spot on.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy