Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Geneva to St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone any experience of this drive? Yes, I know we must be mad, but living on a small island (Isle of Man) we can save an overnight stay on the mainland by flying direct to Geneva. I would be interested to hear anyone's experience of this trip by road and any tips greatfully received.
Primarily, how long is it likely to take?
Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
berth, I once drove from Zurich to Courchevel, the trip took about 5 hours, in good weather with no hold-ups. So given that Courchevel is about 2.5 hours from Geneva and St Anton is 2 hours from Zurich I estimate you're looking at 4.5-5 hours assuming good weather and no hold-ups. You could try using www.viamichelin.com for route details, don't forget you'll need a Swiss vignette and an Austrian motorway toll.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
berth, Easy motorway drive from Geneva through Switzerland into Austria, approx 3hrs. Cross into Austria at Au? then dual carriageway most of the way to St Anton via Arlberg tunnel, approx 2-2.5 hrs. Beside vignette & austrian motorway badge you will have to pay Arlberg tunnel toll.
Only difficult part could be in Austria if it is snowing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would take the Train just one change in Zurich (Geneva Airport -Zurich-St Anton am Arlberg) takes 5hr .20 mins & very relaxing.

A Car is not needed in St Anton.

The trip by car will take an absolute minimum of 4hrs so in reality probably 5-6hrs you will also need to buy a Vignette for Austria. Travelling at weekend into & out of Austria (Arlberg) is a nightmare.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
berth, Did it this year ... very easy.

Having said that if I had to fly to GVA then I would take the train.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
berth, I have driven from Courchevel (via Geneva airport) to St Anton a few times in the last couple of seasons. It is an easy motorway drive for virtually all the way but can be tiresome if there is a lot of traffic on weekends or an accident. The route I take is the A1 all the way across Switzerland via Lausanne, Bern, Zürich and St Gallen (turns into the A13 at some point after then). There are a number of routes into Austria from this area but you tend to get caught in a bit of traffic if you come off too early and hit Bregenz. If you have a look at a map you'll see the various options. Whichever route you take, Austria is always well signed.

I find the easiest is to stay on the A13 for a while and come off at the junction for Diepoldsau (can't remember the number of the junction though). It is signposted for Austria. Take the main road through the border until you see signs for the A14/S16 Innsbruck (less than 5 mins off the motorway) and then it is easy.

The motorway turns into a fast main road after Bludenz for a while, and then continues as a two lane motorway again to St Anton with the exception of the Arlberg tunnel which has only one lane in each direction.

The Vignette for Austrian motorways is 7 Euros something for 10 days and the Arlberg tunnel is 8,50 Euros each way.

Time wise for an average journey I would allow 4-4.5 hours from Geneva to the Austrian border and 1.5 from there to St Anton. I have done it much quicker when the weather has been good and with little traffic. However, it can be much longer if the roads are bad!

I've also done the train journey from Geneva which was also easy and very relaxing. Just one change at Zürich.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Berth I think I'm on that trip with you! Are we driving or train?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Drive from Au through the tunnels is also the worlds most boring drive ever. There are also road works and many sections down to 1 lane, which I presume wil lbe finished come winter..but still get the train.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the advice guys. Anyone know when the train schedules get released? Our main reason for driving is that we couldn't get train times to connect and they seem to be published pretty late.
Yep Shteevie boy. It is I, BKA;-)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
berth, Think its around 15th of this month
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anybody have a link to the timetables assuming they are released?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.sbb.ch/en/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've done this before, and driven from Chamonix to St Anton too. It's a pretty easy drive but also pretty boring. It's all on motorway and dual carriage way until you get close to St Anton and it's a long way. The roads around Zurich can be pretty busy too, so I'd allow at least 6 hours in total. If the train connections work out I'd certainly look closely at that option, the drive isn't much fun to be honest.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy