Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another Ski Boot thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. My first post on this great forum, I've been looking through all the threads and they've been really useful! So cheers to everyone for that.
I'm 18 and have been on 4 ski holidays now (each of which was a week long) and have always hired equipment. I have another holiday booked for February to Sportwelte Armade (Austria), a college trip where hire is all included. The previous times that I have been skiing, I have always come out with feet which hurt due to either pressure points in the boots or really loose fits, sometimes so bad that my heel slides when trying to make a turn even though they felt tight at first in the hire shop. So basically, I find it hard to find a boot which fits.
I have, therefore, thought about investing in my own pair of boots so that I will get more out of my time on the slopes and maybe progress a bit more in lessons. I am a fairly confident skier and ski parallel without a problem (well I seem to think so, whether the instructors do or not that's a different matter Razz ). I haven't made up my mind completely though as, being 18, there is still a chance of growth in my feet and ankles (even though i'm sure they haven't grown in the past year or two) and so I don't know whether this will mean that new boots will be useless within a couple of years?
Also I'm not sure where to go get them fitted, the closest stores are Nevisport (York), EB (Xscape, Castleford), Severn Sports (leeds) or Glide 'n' Slide (Otley), looking on here there are mixed opinions about xscape and although not many seem to have had experience with Glide 'n' Slide, there are a few good things written about them on this forum.

So what do you recommend I do about boots? Should I battle with some hire ones for a few more years or do you think it's time to invest? and also where do you recommend I get them fitted??

Thanks very much in advance for your help and i'm sorry about the essay above! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i am not exactly the best skier in the world and have not been abroad skiing shed loads, but personally the first thing i purchased was my boots, as i felt this would be the most important thing and hire boots always seem to annoy me (similar to you - lack of comfort) so money depending, i would purchase your own! not sure what most shops are like. i bought mine from snow and rock in Sheffield last year before I went to Les arc and not had any problems! i know Ellis Brigham up at Xscape is good, not sure about any of the others!

good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mjmyers92, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Difficult decision - you might grow a bit yet, and you've paid for hire in February. Possibly the equipment on hire in Austria might be better quality than other places you've been? But yes, if you've some spare cash, or Santa is feeling indulgent, your own boots are the first thing to buy. Can't help with any of the shops you've mentioned.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mjmyers92, for bootfitting you may want to consider Graham at Rivington Alpine in well worth a visit.

welcome to snowheads Very Happy

Having you own boots at this stage is probably the best thing you can do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your advice x111jake and kevindonkleywood.
pamw, that's the thing... i'm not entirely sure what to expect in terms of ski hire equipment at the resort as it's a college trip, and so i've not played a part in organizing it and i'm told that when we arrive there will be a pair of boots and skis waiting for us in our rooms when we arrive (we filled in a form to say foot size, weight, height etc.) which i'm a little skeptical about and am unsure of the procedure about boots which won't fit correctly. Of course I might be very wrong and they might be great, but i'm not sure. Other trips i've been on have been with family and the equipment hasn't actually been that bad, it was just hard to get a pair which I found comfortable. Thanks for the advice! Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

there will be a pair of boots and skis waiting for us in our rooms

run away very fast, sounds like may be hassle if the fit is not good Sad

You are keen on skiing so your own boots will be a good investment
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeah that's what I was thinking, but not entirely sure what to expect as it could all be fine.

It's just the chance of me growing and this possibly being a waste of money that worries me, but i'll have a little more of a think. Thanks for your advice!! Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy