Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen hotels

Poster: A snowHead
Aloha all,

After years of skiing in France, the OH and I have decided to branch out and head to Switzerland for our annual sliding fix in 2011. We've decided on Wengen (seems to fit the bill in terms of ski area, atmosphere, scenery, price, etc) and have narrowed it down to these hotels: Falken, Belvedere, Alpenrose, Silbehorn and Regina.

Are there any SHs with first hand experience of one/some/all of these places? Have checked trip advisor, etc for reviews but always good to get a SH's view.

I was originally punting for the Alpenrose since the food is meant to be particularly good but it doesn't have a spa/sauna thing (which the girlf will prob be keen on) so this brings the Silberhorn and Regina into play.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

T
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Regina is more formal than the Silberhorn - Silberhorn is really just a big family hotel despite its **** rating.

Also worth considering the Victoria Lauberhorn if you like a Spa.

Falken is very old fashioned but a great place if you like all that 1920s nostalgia stuff.

Have you looked at the Sunstar and the Park?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice, telford_mike.

Yep, the trip advisor reviews of the Silberhorn made the hotel sound like a bit of an S hole even if the spa is meant to be good.

Will take a look at the Lauberhorn. I think the Sunstar and the Park are out of our price range really.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're a foodie you'll like the Regina Happy

Worth bearing in mind that you can use the spa facilities at the Victoria Lauberhorn even if you don't stay there. It's not expensive.

Sunstar and Park have the only proper swimming pools in the village. When do you plan to go?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Falken is one of the oldest buildings in town and oozes mountain charm in a higlety piglety fawlty towers sort of way. Many Brits staying there. It's a fave of the more stereotypical Tea Club types.
It is one of the easiest to get back to from the slopes though.
I've never stayed there but visited it a few times.

I have stayed at The Belvedere though. It is pleasant enough, quite oldey worldy but at the other end of town from the lifts. Town though can't be much more than 500m long so it's not a huge issue. We left our skis at the Central Sport depository by the lifts to save carrying them back and forth.

Of the others, all I really know is the Regina prides itself as the poshest of the lot.

If a spa is what you're after, the Victoria Lauberhorn has the best spa in town by miles. In fact people from around town pay about 20chf a day entry to use it. Hotel guests naturally use it for free.
We used the VL for the MSB a couple of times: first time was a run-away success although the 2nd time we found the management had changed and they considered UK guests as somewhat 2nd place to the members of the Swiss pension fund that part owns the hotel.
"What you don't know is our Swiss Guests are owners of the Hotel" rolling eyes I knew rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to head out there during the first half of February.

I enjoy a bit of mountain charm as much as the next SH but I'm not sure Fawlty Towers is what we're really after.... Looks like it's down to the Victoria Lauberhorn, the Regina and the Alpenrose. Any thoughs on the Alpenrose? Seems to be very popular from the reviews I've found.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Alpenrose is too far out of town (by Wengen standards) if you're a keen skier or apres-skier. Nice place - but a really stiff walk up to the village. It is very popular though - many guests return year after year. However, I think a lot of them prefer a good book to a days skiing or a night-out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When i have taken the wife to Wengen we have stayed at the Sunstar which has a good location and a good bar. The Regina would be more exspensive and a bit to formal for me. I also like the Falken which is cheaper than the Sunstar but is very comfortable with some wonderful furniture and fittings. The Alpenrose is very nice with really good food, its just that come 10pm most of the elderly guests retire to bed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for the Falken. Stayed there in April and it was still ski-out down to the main cable-car and nearly ski-in (100m walk). Great charm, lively bar, reasonable food (especially buffet night), mountain views and a good price through Swiss Travel. Don't let the Fawlty Towers comment put you off- The staff were great, it's just a bit old.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great choice it is so different. I love Wengen, its full of old farts like me. Stretch your budget or get a deal, the Sunstar is the place to be. You might consider Grindelwald if you want a bit more life but you don't get the car-free village.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Falken seems to have a great atmosphere - but is a climb up the hill on the way back - I will go there one day. The VL is more central. We will be there at half term - but would have gone to the Sunstar if they had room.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skeletonhead did not wrote:
The staff were great, just a bit old.
Sorry I corrupted your quote Twisted Evil .

http://youtube.com/v/Z6aYLOf8CUQ
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Alpenrose is a long way down the hill from the centre, food and rooms excellent. Haven't stayed there for a while as husband refused the uphill walk.

The Belvedere is recently refurbished and has fantastic rooms (choose Jungfrau View), large and with beautiful views over the Lauterbrunnen valley. Stayed there last year. Good breakfasts but it's let down by its evening meals - buffet every night, school dinners, though the salad buffet starter is good. Lovely art deco lounge/bar area. An excellent credit crunch hotel as they do wine in various centilitre amounts very cheaply - we'd never spent so little on Swiss bar bills. It's 5 minutes walk from the main cable car and a couple more to the station.

The Sunstar is a typical well run Swiss chain hotel - large rooms and excellent food and lounge, but seems expensive when there are other good places around. Exceptionally well placed opposite the main cable car and a couple of minutes from the station. Terrible boot room when I was there about five years ago, long and thin with hardly anywhere to sit.

Trying the Falken this time as my companion wants ski in-ski out. I've skied right up to the side of the hotel on many occasions before taking the rope tow up to the top of the nursery slope (out of hours) and skiing down to the cable car.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where is Wengen in Switzerland ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes, it's in the jungfrau region. up the mountain from interlaken.
latest report
We've stayed at the Silberhorn for the past few years And have always found it comfortable and friendly. The spa is a great addition. The location is excellent and the little bar with it's roaring fire is cosy.
It is popUlar with families but there have been plenty of couples too when we have been there. I recommend it.
snow report
sherlock235 wrote:

thankyou
ski holidays
sherlock235 wrote:

I think he already knew that Toofy Grin - (he frequents the resort on the other side of the Lauterbrunnen valley that begins with a M wink )
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
sherlock235 wrote:

thankyou

LOL Smile
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, naughty boy! Twisted Evil
snow report
admin wrote:
If a spa is what you're after, the Victoria Lauberhorn has the best spa in town by miles.

That's true. I've been 3 times now. I love it! The food is a bit of a mixed bag though. Not dreadful but not gourmet either. Some years were better than others - I guess they change chefs! Very convenient location too.
snow report
sherlock235 wrote:

Toofy Grin
Toofy Grin

I hope you will visit the higher resort, Murren when you visit the region !!
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:
sherlock235 wrote:

Toofy Grin
Toofy Grin

I hope you will visit the higher resort, Murren when you visit the region !!

But go on a good day so that you don't miss out on the views.
snow report
Tommy4681, Alpenrose is a great hotel, or was in 1993
ski holidays
Thanks for all the pointers, people. Will definitely pay a trip to Murren when I'm there. I presume Blofeld and his chicks still live up in the restaurant....
snow conditions
You will find Wengen below that...

Skiing through Murren village
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy