Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots As Hand Luggage With Air Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Im traveling out with air canada and need to pack a seasons worth of equipment therefore im not going to be able to fit my boots in my case and was wondering if i can take them as hand luggage.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have taken boots as hand luggage to Canada twice, albeit with BA. Not sure you'll get past the metal frame check though. Check with the airline.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chelt881 I've also taken ski boots in hand luggage flying with Air Canada earlier this year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know previously we have been questioned about it at check in but have a normal carry on bag that you can get a pair of ski boots on to and it just looks like a normal carry on. As long as they dont see them they will not question it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why would anybody want to take ski boots as hand luggage?. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Basil, usually cos folk are terrified that they'll get lost if they go in the hold. In this case the OP has said s/he won't be able to fit them in his/her case.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, Exactly! And I'm not going through the agony I endured on my first ski holiday in hire boots Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chelt881, have you booked an extra bag for your skis ($50)? if so then you also get 1 x boot bag at no extra cost.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, Put clothes in hand luggage and boots in case, ta da!.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Why would anybody want to take ski boots as hand luggage?

We always do because:
1. We've had bags go missing quite a few times (and twice not turning up until we were back home from US/Canada). We also take a full set of ski clobber in hand luggage.
2. It avoids paying budget airlines rip off rates for a check in bag wink.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Basil, actually, that's what I'd do too wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

It avoids paying budget airlines rip off rates for a check in bag

Are you telling us that you can fit ski boots and jacket, pants, gloves, sock, base layers, fleeces etc in a hand luggage bag that's allowed on a budget airline?
latest report
 brian
brian
Dr John, yes, plus a laptop in skin on the top (and my ski boots are 29.0. wink ). Admittedly I was wearing the jacket.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basil, They are the one thing I could not ski without! and trying to get 140 flex boots as rentals is somewhat difficult Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Easy, put the gloves and socks in the boots, base layer in the bag with your ski trousers, wear the fleece and jacket and fill the jacket pockets with other stuff you may need (clean pants and socks) for instance. I fly to Zurich for ski weekends all the time and never had a problem. Most people take far to much stuff when they travel, skis are left with a friend who lives in Zurich.
snow conditions
Anybody had issues taking them on Ryanair or Easyjet?
ski holidays
croskemj, popcorn time - suggest you do a search
snow conditions
adie, any reason you don't leave your boots with your friend as well?
snow conditions
chelt881, congratulations on starting the first boots-in-hand-luggage thread for the coming season.
latest report
mountainaddict, I also put a full set of ski wear in my hand luggage with my boots snowHead .
snow conditions
Quote:

chelt881, congratulations on starting the first boots-in-hand-luggage thread for the coming season.

Indeed, but this one has added mystery wink. As Dr John asked, why doesn't adie leave the boots with the friend as well...?
ski holidays
Maybe because, like a lot of people, he has only one pair of boots but more than one pair of skis?
snow report
Q:
Quote:

Why would anybody want to take ski boots as hand luggage?.

A1: We have lost luggage or had delays in luggage being delivered on arrival (for up to 3 days) on over 15 occasions - ranging from our entire luggage, to skis, ice axes, mountain bikes and (yes) ski boots. On one occasion Mrs B's luggage arrived 3 days late and her new ski boots had been nicked from the bag... On several occasions it's been no fun to run around the shops on arrival day trying to rent or buy gear.

A2: When we fly from northeast England to the USA , Canada or Chile it usually involves taking up to 3 flights. In such cases you can inevitably wave bye bye to your luggage for up to 3 days. In Chile 2 years ago we spent our first four days luggageless - with the exception of our hand luggage which contained ski boots and full ski clobber. wink 2 pairs of hire skis later and we were up and (er) "running."

A3: When we do weekend trips with Easyjet why would we pay £18 each to check in ski boots and ski clothes when we can take them for free in hand luggage? As Iski, says it's quite possible to fit full ski kit into hand luggage. Our hand luggage (that fits comfortably into the gauge at the airport) usually contains ski boots, ski trousers or salopettes, shirt, base layers (top and long johns), hat, goggles, ski socks, small rucksack, gloves, inner gloves, face mask, sunglasses and a small thermos flask(!) We usually wear our ski jackets and carry or wear a microfleece.

chelt881, You have obviously been very lucky with your luggage!
ski holidays
Quote:

Anybody had issues taking them on Ryanair or Easyjet?

No, neither inbound from European/North American/South American destinations nor outbound from the following UK airports: Newcastle, Durham Tees Valley, Edinburgh, Leeds, Luton, Coventry, Liverpool, Doncaster, Stansted, Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham and East Midlands (plus more that I've probably forgotten) - though I once had a security jobsworth go mental at Liverpool when they found that I had a magnetic ski rack in hand luggage (despite it being carried like that trouble-free on about six previous occasions).

I was treated as though they had discovered explosives and advised that on my previous trips it was nigh-on a miracle that the super strength magnetic field had not downed the aircraft....Luckily a more helpful member of staff helpfully put the ski rack in the hold for us.
snow report
You mean there are actually people out there who DON'T take boots (and ski wear) as hand luggage ?

Freaks!

Serisouly what else is hand luggage for on a ski/board trip?

wink
ski holidays
Gazzza, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy