Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decision Time - La Plagne or Flaine in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick one for discussion - I am booking next season's skiing for my family of five, and have decided on ski-to-the-door with everything laid on in terms of childcare. My thanks to David@trax for his help in looking at La Rosiere but as the chalet is not doorstep skiing (ditto Les Deux Alpes) my options are pretty much limited at this late stage (don't laugh if you don't have kids - you'll understand if you ever do!) to La Plagne or Flaine at Easter (9 April). The options with SkiEsprit are not suitable for our children, so it's back with Crystal. Obviously La Plagne has higher skiing but that's where we went this season past - our first ever week - and I'd like to try somewhere different. I guess the question is - can I rely on snow (even if it's artificial) in Flaine? Or do I go for snow-sure La Plagne? Any contribution welcome...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TallTone, I'd be amazed if there wasn't decent snow in Flaine in April. I was there at the other end of the season a couple of years ago, when it had better snow than other places around, e.g. Megève and Les Contamines; and early-April is generally much more reliable than mid-December. My only worry would be availability of green/blue runs if next year happens to be poor in April; from memory (a bit hazy), it's mainly reds above Flaine itself. I'm sure others who know the place a bit better will turn up in due course!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks laundryman, along with other posts that I've found on the site, I am now leaning towards Flaine. Will give it a couple more days though as there's no rush if I do decide on Flaine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TallTone said

as the chalet is not doorstep skiing (ditto Les Deux Alpes) my options are pretty much limited at this late
(don't laugh if you don't have kids - you'll understand if you ever do!)

Totally agree with you on this one we spent 3 holidays in La Plagne with our Children,
One small but very important point (esp. when in the resort) make sure the accom. is ski in and out. We found one year ski in ok but a steep walk up steps to ski out, which of course is not good news when getting 2 kids out to ski school on time. We ended up taking the kids and then coming back for our gear, precious skiing time being lost!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dont worry once they get to eight they will have much more energy than you. Ski comvenience from this year was for my convenience only. When asked to carry their skis I willingly agree an the condition that the little rascals carry mine. This year, when begged for one more run, I collapsed in a heap and told them they could do one of the runs, but I wasnt coming with them. Ended up with me and Mrs FTS having a beer and waiting until the liftie closed shop.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, You carry their skis?????? When I was 3 my dad said that if I wanted to ski I would have to carry my skis myself - I wanted to ski so .........

I think all children over 5 should carry their own (of course it takes longer to get anywhere), and should not have sticks which helps a lot. I always refuse to carry small pupils' skis, and it's amazing how well they can do it! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
in that case, let me mention about Flaine - I'm guessding you're considering the Totem as has been mentioned. It's ski-in and out in that it has snow right to the door, but it's on a flat section. It's only 30 seconds to the nearest lift though

you can see some images here
http://nbt.ski.fotopic.net/c101724.html

"our hotel room" was in the totem, and you can clearly see the flat area in this photo
http://nbt.ski.fotopic.net/p2446231.html

the right-most white-roofed building is the DMC, the gondola which carries you to the highest point of the domain. next to that (just above it on the photo) is the "telebenne", the two-man "yoghurt pot" lift which ferries you up to the higher part of the resort from whence you can head out to the other resorts of the Grand Massif. Alternative you can bend round in front of the hotel to the other gondola, the "egg" lift which goes to the Flaine end of the domain where you'll find the fun park - location of this pic
[edit]link was wrong! was same as above[ end edit]
http://nbt.ski.fotopic.net/p2446250.html

You can;t quite see the totem on this one, it's below the "grand vans" lift which is the main one you can see heading to the top. This is the lift that links into the Grand Massif. The straight line you can see mid resort is on of the two the the funicular style lifts that connect the upper and lower villages in addition to the Telebenne

Can't quite remember if the ski school have meeting places in the lower village or the upper village, I would guess at both though. Also worth checking out the alternative ski schools, we had a small group carving clinic from a teacher called David who worked for the Ski Ecole International
http://www.flaine.com/index.jsp?c=12365
Can recommend him, ask Charlotte Easiski what he did for my technique!

hope that helps - if you have questions then let me know

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 6-05-05 8:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, Read my post again or you shall be getting the thickie baton wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, You carry their skis?????? When I was 3 my dad said that if I wanted to ski I would have to carry my skis myself - I wanted to ski so .........

I think all children over 5 should carry their own (of course it takes longer to get anywhere), and should not have sticks which helps a lot. I always refuse to carry small pupils' skis, and it's amazing how well they can do it! Twisted Evil

An example to us all Very Happy

But I have to confess to carrying theirs in the interests of getting 'em to Ski School as soon as poss. so I can maximise my skiing time until we have to pick 'em up again.
and as I'm on Holiday I am not getting out of bed early 'cos they are so slow Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt, you're right of course, and should we ever meet up that's a beer I owe you! Thanks for the links, resort looks excellent! Will probably book just the hol & childcare and then do some comparisons on the ski-school... is it worth comparing equipment hire prices as well? I guess most snowheads have their own... Frosty, I frequently look forward to when the little darlings are a little older... guess that will bring its own problems though! easiski, the eldest carries his own but I can't see the other two managing it just yet... maybe season-after-next. boredsurfin, you don't want to get up and out at the soonest possibility? Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As you guessed, I have my own equipment so have no idea about rental prices. If you're considering skiing as a future hobby then I would 100% suggest that you get your own boots, at least for the adults - not for kids as it may well work out very expensive, although maybe post a wanted ad on the buy / sell forum asking if anyone has old kids boots? Probably more hassle than it's worth though once you think about hiring them versus transporting them and chaning them each season as the kids grow so fast!

For the adults though, the boots are the biggest factor that can affect your skiing. Last year I accidentally left my boots at Calgary airport and had to ski two days in rental boots, until mine arrived. After five years in myown boots, it was a revelation. I was in agony and struggled to translate my movements into control of the ski. i will *NEVER* leave my boots again! Get your own boots as soon as you kno that skiing is for you. Ellis Brigham and Snow and Rock both have sales on at the moment, and if you work in London itmay be worth considering a visit to Profeet (on the King's Road i think), as they have a sale on at the moment and will fit boots to you properly

honestly, your own properly fitted boots will make such a difference it's worth a month;s beer money. You won;t regret it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote=" boredsurfin, you don't want to get up and out at the soonest possibility? Puzzled[/quote]

Sure do, this year in Val Thorens, Ski school met before 1st lift opened!! absolutely ideal and we all skiied to and from, this was not the case in La Plagne and just the point I was attempting to make. Very Happy Toofy Grin

PS As they get older it just brings different sets of problems, My eldest keeps threatning to go dark side Skullie
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TallTone, We had lessons from ESI in Flaine a couple of years ago....they were fab. They met at the bottom of the yoghurt pots directly opposite the Totem, if they still do you couldn't get a more convenient place! Mr HH and I both loved Flaine (if you keep your eyes shut and don't look at the architecture!) and will be aiming to go back this year!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On another post some time ago I remember somebody making some very valid arguments for people with children returning to the same destination year after year. Points I remember and agree with given we have been to La Tania for the last four or five years are:-

1. You the parents know where everything is
2. so do the children
3. so you don't waste time looking for ski school, the pub etc
4. and you don't risk being in a place that is not as good
5. it will boost the children (and parents) confidence to start with runs that you all know you can do
6. and the kids will be inspired to ski a little further than they did last year etc.

I've been to Flaine for a week where there was no snow then it snowed solid for three days then it rained that night and there was less snow then when we got there. I've always found Plagne to be pretty consistent and for skiers it is a very flattering resort - for boarders like me you have to be pretty confident at schussing and keeping speed up for some of the flat bits. Had a fantastic week in April there a few years back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homphomp, sounds good, but ashton parker, these are very good points, thank you. Flaine is definitely on the cards at some point - all that I hear is encouraging but to be sure of the best the resort has - for my level - it would be better at half-term. That means 2007 for me! I think then La Plagne it is... and 2008 probably David's chalet in La Rosiere! Wonder if he's taking bookings yet? Smile
ski holidays
TallTone, A reminder in case you didnt know. Easter 2008 is very early, 23 March. Book Early
snow report
TallTone, I am fairly certain that Flaine has about the best snow record in the alps. Quote from skiclub website good ski guide section "Despite its modest altitude, Flaine has a better snow record than any comparable resort in Europe. The locals put this down to a micro-climate created by its proximity to Mont Blanc. Whatever the reason, this purpose-built ski village has virtually guaranteed snow cover from mid-December until after Easter."

I've never been there when it hasn't got lots of snow and I went there in late March one time and the skiing was great and this year they had OK conditions up to the end of April (March was bad for the whole of the Alps). La-plagne was also good in April when I went but it is a bit less convenient. Snow cover is always a gamble but if anywhere has snow it'll be Flaine. It is very convenient and the skiing is very good and the architecture is not as bad as everyone tells you so long as you keep an open mind. I've been going there every year since 2001 and if I can scrape together the pennies I'd like to take my family there next Easter. If I had the cash I'd book now without hesitation. So if I were you I wouldn't wait until 2007 and I'd go for it, you'd be spectacularily unlucky to not have reasonable snow snowHead
snow conditions
Must be said the only time I went (Jan 2004) the snow cover wasn;t particularly good, but then again that week it was awful everywhere as the frezzing level went up above 3000m and it rained!

One of Mrs NBT's clients has an apartment in flaine, went out the weekend before the eosb (mid april, then) and sais they had over a metre of fresh snow.
ski holidays
Chris Reed, does this mean all the way down to Les Carroz, or just in the main bowl? Don't forget we're all beginners and so looking at the blues this time round; most of the skiing above Flaine looks to be red.
snow report
TallTone, There are quite a few good blues in the Flaine bowl. You won't be able to get down to Les Carroz on blue runs in April but you'll be able to do some travelling and get a fair way around the Les Carroz sector. You will probably be able to get to Samoens and Morillon, I skied down to Morillon 1100 on blues in March even though the opposite site of the valley was completely green!

If you've done a weeks skiing some of the reds in Flaine shouldn't pose too many problems for you. However if you are second weekers maybe La Plagne might be better because so much of La Plagne is blue runs?
snow report
Thanks Chris. La Plagne it is, and Flaine the year after!
snow report
TallTone, If going to La Plagne have a good look at the smaller operators, (but obviously not Ski B**t ) some of which operate in the higher satellites of Plagne. We (8 adults 8 kids) have been with Crystal although OK, I think we were lucky with the staff as I have heard other less flattering views. Erna Low, of whom I have heard nothing but praise, do offer a catered option in some of their Chalets. Our friends did this with them in La Plagne one year and came home very happy especially as the cost was very competitive.
snow report
Silver Ski are a tops for La Plagne in my book, but no childcare. Great Chalets and staff, superb ski hosting.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,
Totally agree with you re. Silver Ski we last went with them before children which was a few years ago now. Good to know they haven't changed
ski holidays
Well it's all booked with Crystal now so can relax and look forward to it... did it through Flight Centre who gave me £150 off (beats the £100 online discount). As Crystal like to overkill the documentation I'm pleased that I will be dealing with a real person!

Oh the possibilities when the children can ski with us all day.... the possibility, nay probability, that they will be better than us, for instance wink boredsurfin, I've heard all about Ski B**t, don't worry. Gone with Crystal on the know-what-I'm-getting basis. Will book for Flaine in Feb 2007 this coming September, basically when they open the books! So my youngest will be six in the 2007-08 season, and maybe even ready to ski all day...

Now, when am I going to refresh the technique at Xscape MK? Anyone do that regularly and know any way to get a discount?
snow conditions
TallTone, if you join the Ski Club of Gret Britain, you can get a discount at Xscape.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Sorry Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
easiski, Now I have re read it. It looks like I carry 2 pair of skis instead of 1, so you are partially right Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy