Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowvolution - new indoor skiing concept?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know anything about this?? I just saw a bill board with this on it. Is this serious!?

www.snowvolution.com
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Adam I seem to remember a discussion about this some time ago, but I haven't found the thread so it could have been one of those conversations I had with myself. Shocked The result of my discussion seemed to be that the idea was bonkers! It looks like vapourware to me, and notice they are selling licenses rather than product...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It would be one heck of an engineering achivement to build one rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I saw this concept about four years ago - they were suggesting it could be implemented at the long-planned but as yet unbuilt snowdome at the quarries in Llanberis, North Wales
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are having a laugh. Hmmm, daft idea for reality as promotion for computer game sounds more likely to me...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wouldn't a skier feel the upward motion of the disc as it rotated round, like a never-ending compression? What if you skied too slowly? You'd end up across the fall line at the top and then facing uphill as the disc continued to rotate through. Though you could turn around. Also you'd have to time your exit off the rotating disc onto the stationary very carefully if not to hit a wall or plummet a drop or worse, get ground up in the mechanism.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many ideas are sound theoretically but are nearly impossible to engineer because of the cost.

A tilting 300m disc at around 25 degree rotating around a hub, with different tracks too. Just imagine the amount of energy to power it when there are a dozen skiers using it at low seasons. Yes it can be built but I don't think it can pay for itself.

To surround this skiing facility as an indoor installation we are talking an enclosure of 20 acres large (pi/4*300*300=70,686m2). No structure exists today has a weathere proof enclosure of this size. An American football pitch is 5,400m2 large and one for playing the premier league soccer needs 7,300m2. We are therefore talking about covering 9 soccer pitches together so that the snow can be kept stable for the skiers.

Do these people do any sanity check?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yes, they do need a sanity check, cos this is insane! Confused rolling eyes it reminds me of the 'far-out' things we used to draw in primary school. massive fantasy things that could never happen (like me wishing i had a way of turning my village into a ski resort...)
I don't think it is technically or physically possible. Sounds a bit dangerous too... Shocked Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
crazy_skier_jules,
Quote:

massive fantasy things that could never happen (like me wishing i had a way of turning my village into a ski resort...)

Don't say that...I'm still working on that one wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's nuts. Heard about it a while ago and though it was nuts then. Fast skiers would reach the bottom in no time; slow skiers would end up going backwards.

Interesting to note the SnowVolution hasn't raised any capital to build one - just a pretty CGI movie of one "working".
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They (or someone) have spent quite a lot of cash (£50 000+?) on their patent portfolio so they must be pretty serious or completely barking or, most likely, both.

hyweljenkins, the different speed rings deal with that problem (to an extent anyway). The engineering difficulties would be huge, of course.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy