Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Errr....Saalbach or St Anton?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
More spanners in the works now with these 2 resorts added in the mix. I like sound of Sallbach (thanx Tom W) and heard great stuff about St Anton and Mayrhofen for that matter. I have no clue about Austria so I was hoping I can get some more insight into these resorts by those in the know. I was looking into SC and Cham in France but SC seems too complicated to get to while Cham maybe too much for the 2 beginners we have coming. Any help much appreciated as always.

Oh and if anyone has any good recommendations for accomodation in the nicer end of budget, that would be great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sallbach is cheaper and more 'intermediate', St Anton higher and more snow sure and good for the guided big off-piste stuff. Both have good apres.

My decision would depend upon flight arrangements etc.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have beginners in the group then StA is not the place for them. Salbach/Hinterglemm will be perfect and because the skiing is a circular route in the one valley it will be easier to meet up through the day for lunch or apres than in StA. It will be easier for them to advance also.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gainz, I've put together a "Rough Guide" to Saalbach-Hinterglemm, covering everything you're likely to want to know. If you'd like me e-mail it to you PM me your e-mail.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tatman's Tours, I've PM'd you but its stuck in my outbox. If you don't get it let me know and I'l try again. I am sold on Saalbach now and would like to get as much info as possible. Is it better to go DIY or with a TO?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gainz, I'vw DIY'd several times to Saalbach, can get cheap flights with Ryanair to Salzberg and then there is a holiday shuttle bus that runs through the season to take you to Saalbach. You can get the link to the holiday shuttle on www.saalbach.com and also find good hotel / chalets
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with northantsred, I think StA is tricky for people trying to progress from nursery to higher up the mountain. Our mixed ability group had some challenges there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 on the "St Anton not at all good for beginners" front.

As a beginner myself when starting to work a season there, the main problems are:

(1) It's busy, with a large proportion of expert skiers, some of whom seem only to want to go as fast as possible, using beginners as slalom poles;
(2) There are absolutely *no* runs that bridge the gap between nursery slope and the (harder-than-average) blue runs. I repeat, *none*. Not only do they not have the green classification, even the easiest blues have short sections which, for a beginner fresh from the nursery slopes, are absolutely terrifying;
(3) A lot of pistes get quite narrow, making the problems (1) and (2) worse.
(4) Might not be applicable nowadays (I was there in the crappy 2006-7 season) but the piste grooming was bloody awful (not that I knew any better at the time). The vast majority of runs had sodding great moguls on them by the time we'd finished cleaning and got on the slopes at 11am. Take this with a pinch of salt though, as we spent a whole season alternating between ice and slush, which presumably didn't help Sad

I don't want to bad-mouth St Anton, just be aware that if you can't confidently do parallel turns or if you don't like crowds, you should probably go elsewhere.

On the plus side, the itinerary runs are awesome. I particular liked the easier of the two that descend from top of the Schindler chair back down to Steissbachtal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy