Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it really BASI's job to check your language skills?

Poster: A snowHead
Given the range of possible options on the second language requirement, is it really the place of BASI to define your competence or otherwise in a second language?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think its part of the ISIA rules that (for L3 and 4) you need a 2nd language - so BASI is just ensuring they get people through the full ISIA syllabus

EDIT
just found this
The ISIA minimum standards
ISIA minimum standards for the ISIA stamp and ISIA card

2.6. Languages
The candidate will be able to instruct in at least one other language.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, I can't see it anywhere but do you know if they define somewhere what that 2nd language has to be?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Touchguru, rumour has it that it will be getting much more thorough, when i did it was a simple written exercise (google was my friend ), now a 5-10 minute chat on the phone but the ISIA review of BASI's training programme flagged up second language requirement wasnt adequate....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks skimottaret.

I can speak two other languages fluently (Afrikaans and Xhosa) whilst speaking barely passable French and German

I am not sure that Afrikaans (although quite similar to Dutch) or Xhosa will be counted as a 2nd language though, which is why I asked the question whether ISIA define the 2nd languages.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Touchguru wrote:
Wayne, I can't see it anywhere but do you know if they define somewhere what that 2nd language has to be?

Don't know - you could contact Diane at BASI, she will know.

When I teach Italians to ski they seem to laugh at me quite a lot Laughing Laughing
I think I sound like Manuel from Fawlty Towers to them Toofy Grin

So not sure if I would pass any stricter test
mind you I am getting quite good in speaking to the locals in Yorkshire
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Touchguru, From my understanding I beleive ISIA require an alpine language so - German, French, Italian or Spanish is acceptable.

But I am not 100% on this and do stand for correction. I know they do not accept Irish Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Touchguru, I am sure your "barely passable" will be okay... i dont want to over egg this just that it will be a bit more than a my name is, what time is it type of exam.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Touchguru, you could make a case for Afrikaans, given the number of cloggies we're seeing these days. Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not just BASI, in the Austrian first level you have to be able to teach* in German and English

*Very lenient though, you can get by just by knowing the terms, body parts and simple instructions like "bend the knees more" or "skis parallel," and they gave us a book with translations of many common phrases we might need to use. I think the English test for the German speakers was a little more stringent though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the information guys.

I am in no rush, as still have a fair bit to do before attempting ISIA.
It is just good to know what the expectations are so that I can justify spending more time in France and Austria perfecting my language skills!! Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sterkte Touchguru, hoop dit gaan goed met jou training.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boardiac wrote:
sterkte Touchguru, hoop dit gaan goed met jou training.

Dankie boet Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think Gaelic should be an option ... after all the signs at the Scottish ski areas are all in English and Gaelic these days Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 20-10-10 13:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Chi mi 'n Geamhradh
snow report
roga, Gay lic, is that a batty language?
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/vc34JKvCQ3Q
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, we is talking Scottish Gaelic not Irish lol, deffo not batty Shocked

Hilarious link there! Laughing

kevindonkleywood:

Chi mi'n Geamhradh
Chi mi'n Geamhradh a's a' ghaoith
Chan eil an sneachd 'fada bhuainn
Sgo\than dorch 's na craobhan ru\isgt
Tha an oidhche nochd fuar

However, given the dumpage of the last 36 hours or so it'd be more accurate to say the snow is here rather than not far from us Toofy Grin
snow report
I would have thought Afrikaans would be acceptable as a second language. Probably comprehensible to all Dutch and many Belgian skiers? And there are masses of both. Xhosa might be pushing it....
snow report
pam w wrote:
Xhosa might be pushing it....

Smile I agree entirely pamw. I was just using this as an example to understand the specified languages and that it couldn't just be any language.
ski holidays
Touchguru wrote:
pam w wrote:
Xhosa might be pushing it....

Smile I agree entirely pamw. I was just using this as an example to understand the specified languages and that it couldn't just be any language.

But if you did have any Xhosa speaking people on a ski lesson you and your pupils would definitely click! wink
snow report
Alastair Pink, Laughing Laughing Laughing

I once drove from Johannesburg into Swaziland with a Xhosa girl who spent much of the way trying to teach me how to click.
ski holidays
Smile Very good Alastair Pink

pam w, Are you sure she was Xhosa? I would have thought that the person you would have driven would more than likely have been a Zulu, Venda or Sotho speaker (Just based on where in the country you were travelling)

This from the BASI website:

'The time of old workbooks is over! The second language test is now a verbal test aiming at assessing BASI members’ communication skills in French, German, Spanish and Italian. This can be done either over the phone or in person with a member of staff or a trainer. The assessor will be bilingual or/and have a degree in the chosen language to be tested.'

So it appears you have a choice of 4 languages
latest report
You can have English as your second language - lots of Italians (and 1 Russian) I know in BASI have this
latest report
Touchguru, I don't think the ISIA define the language requirements as such. BASI limit the choice of languages for two reasons - firstly the primary need for second language skills is safety, i.e. being able to communicate with the ski patrol. Secondly, there has to be a means of assessment, so BASI need a reliable assessor who's competent in the second language.

Quote:

rumour has it that it will be getting much more thorough

I think that's just rumour, there are no plans to make it any harder than it currently is.
snow conditions
Touchguru, yes, she was Xhosa. I don't remember quite how we came to be travelling together, but I was doing a short spell at Wits Uni at the time and I think she was an associate of Jonathan Paton's. He was living in Johannesburg at the time, but I think it was a family link (Alan Paton was Durban based). It was a long time ago (1969 I think).
snow report
pam w, that would have have been a really interesting time to be in South Africa with the Patons.

Thanks beanie1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy