Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Mortiz

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Am off to St Moritz in Jan and was looking for peoples advise / experience of what the resort it like?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dontlikeheights, are you slumming or swanking?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe staying in one of the many Russian owned hotels that do not get much business outside of Russian holidays! Where is Whitegold to defend his favoured if over rated resort?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay in St Moritz Dorf.

A buzz like no other.

Sunny almost every day.

Offpiste is topnotch.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, I think St Mortiz is a rather good name.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was thinking about taking non-skiing Mrs Lechbob there for a few days giving me chance to explore some new ground. I think my wife would enjoy the upmarket surroundings.....but it was looking expensive at the Kempinski, I don't know if she would be happy at the Monopol. Anyone got any recomendations ? Perhaps I'll take her to Wengen instead.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monopol look very nice actually. And it's right next to the shuttle bus stop and the bottom lift (it's actually a train). I didn't stay there. But walk by it everyday on the way to the lift.

But it's not Kempinski...

Whitegold wrote:
Stay in St Moritz Dorf. -- Second that

A buzz like no other.

Sunny almost every day. -- Not when I was there (March/April)

Offpiste is topnotch. -- Very good indeed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi All,

I agree I prefer the name St Mortiz.

However, in reply to you all here goes: -

Masque - I have booked ClubMed. So I assume it is decent but will have to wait and see.

Whitegold - I am in Dorf I believe.

Was looking at the webcams yesterday and it looks like the mountain is getting a covering so all good.
Lets hope the white stuff keeps falling and the sun gods go away until May.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Dontlikeheights, the title's really doing my head in everytime i look at it though Laughing. (see my sig)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:
Monopol look very nice actually. And it's right next to the shuttle bus stop and the bottom lift (it's actually a train). I didn't stay there. But walk by it everyday on the way to the lift.

But it's not Kempinski...

Whitegold wrote:
Stay in St Moritz Dorf. -- Second that

A buzz like no other.

Sunny almost every day. -- Not when I was there (March/April)

Offpiste is topnotch. -- Very good indeed
Thirded. If you get a chance try to get in the runs at the top Pontresina / Bernina Pass, as well. Diavolezza and Piz Lagalb are two little gems that have got to be tried! Other than that, there's a ton of on and off piste to explore. Have fun!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been to St Moritz, Aspen, Zermatt, Davos, Cortina D'Ampezzo. St Moritz ambience is the best!

Not many resorts are that hard to get to and have own airport.

It is one of those resorts that the locals are in the big majority and the Swiss are by far the most polite and the nicest people to deal with.

Nowhere on earth you can find so many expensive shops in a skiing resort. The restaurants serve every kind of steaks including deer, bison and ostrich.

Skiing does not disappoint too but the three separate areas are a bit far to get to unless you have a car.

Nice place to ski. People well disciplined. Food is good. No queuing problem. Not expensive either, relatively to the Swiss standard that is.

It is an ideal place to do a day trip to Italian Livigno too. In the year I skied there the accommodation cost was no different from Engelberg, Davos and Flims. The large frozen lake does make the scenery a bit special, much like the Matterhorn complimentary to Zermatt.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A lot of good point. But I can't help the need to point out some clearly bias opinion passed off as generalization.

saikee wrote:
It is one of those resorts that the locals are in the big majority and the Swiss are by far the most polite and the nicest people to deal with.

Actually, a lot of Italians there. Though since many of them live nearby or have a holiday pad, they're almost local. The ones I ran into are polite and nice just like the Swiss.

Quote:

Skiing does not disappoint too but the three separate areas are a bit far to get to unless you have a car.

That's just plain WRONG! The trains and buses are superb. I did not have a car. Yet I spend 5 out of 7 days skiing the mountains OTHER THAN the one aross from the village.

Actually, it's more like 4 mountains instead of the usual 3 the brochure tote about.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc,

If the Italians were big in numbers then they drive cars with Swiss number plates which were my basis of determining the locals against the outsiders. I was surprised by the majority of the Swiss plated cars. I am sure many rich foreign nationals live in Switzerland, drive Swiss registered car and ski there. May be the term "Swiss residents" would have been a bit clearer.

Although the resort Livigno is close by and its mountains look smilarly white the make-ups of people were clearly different.

I used the word "a bit far" between the three main areas. Yes one can get to all of the places by trains/buses but to hit two resorts in two ends in one day is not convenient.

I suppose Diavolezza can be treated a resort of its own and separated from Lagalb even though one can ski from the former to the latter in one direction. The big skiing areas are of course Corviglia and Corvatch.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd second the thought that the ski areas are a little far from each other, especially if you're used to relatively well connected resorts (the Espace Killy, Trois Vallees types). Although if you're going to whinge, I've got more of a problem with the resort's location...it's too far from Zurich.

I spent 4 days in St Moritz last season (slumming at the youth hostel wink ) and really enjoyed it. Never made it as far as Diavolezza (seemed unnecessarily difficult to get to from St Moritz Bad), but Corvatch was jam-packed with fluffy powder and almost empty anyway. Nice skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee wrote:
.....Nowhere on earth you can find so many expensive shops in a skiing resort. ...

Is that good?
ski holidays
saikee,
Quote:
If the Italians were big in numbers then they drive cars with Swiss number plates which were my basis of determining the locals against the outsiders. I was surprised by the majority of the Swiss plated cars. I am sure many rich foreign nationals live in Switzerland, drive Swiss registered car and ski there. May be the term "Swiss residents" would have been a bit clearer.
Actually St.Moritz is the playground of the Swiss Italians from Lugano. Seems to be the done thing in Lugano to own a holiday home in St.Moritz, and to pop up over the Maloja for the weekend... Rich b*s
snow conditions
Steilhang wrote:
saikee,
Quote:
Actually St.Moritz is the playground of the Swiss Italians from Lugano. Seems to be the done thing in Lugano to own a holiday home in St.Moritz, and to pop up over the Maloja for the weekend... Rich b*s

Rich b*s indeed. I was there only for a week. I ran into disproportional number of Italians from Milan who own weekend home in the area.
ski holidays
People who are often to be seen in St Mortiz are, of course, Mortizians.
latest report
sherlock235 wrote:

(see my sig)

Is it supposed to say dyslexic doggers?
ski holidays
Swirly, Laughing
snow report
Swirly, Laughing nope!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy