Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Always ski in control...

Poster: A snowHead
Otherwise this may happen, or this
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stone the crows Shocked

PS, doesn't TGR look so much funkier than sH? I used to rather like our cobbled-together look - but maybe the appearance should be upgraded.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
if sage and seth cut their bleedin hair, maybe they'd be better able to see where they are going Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So assuming that the faller ends up stopped and hopefully just snowy rather than actually harmed, how on earth do they then get off the moutain when you assume that their gear must be littered at various distances above them. You could hardly climb back up some of those locations to go and look for it in ski boots could you? And I'm guessing there is no convenient path down either.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles wrote:
Stone the crows Shocked

PS, doesn't TGR look so much funkier than sH? I used to rather like our cobbled-together look - but maybe the appearance should be upgraded.

it hurts my eyes Shocked

i like the epic ski look, but i like snowheads more for what it is.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, I gather you didn't spot the helicopters then rolling eyes Toofy Grin

Go back to get their gear? I thought that was what sponsers were for!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shave a dogs head Shocked Shocked Shocked Some of that looked genuinely insane!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anarchicsaltire, Well I did, but would winching them up be on? Given the possible effects of helicopter down-draft on the stability of the snow? Also, what do rest of people (non-heli-skiers) do off piste if they go down some fair distance? It still seems a difficult situation to recover from.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, us mere mortals slog up hill, which is very knackering in thigh deep snow!! The best answer is not to fall !!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
or walk downhill which is much easier Smile

Check the trail behind my friend in this picture to see how far the ski ran in front of him (he's about half way to it in that pic) when he hit some rocks in the couloir and did a face plant!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 15-10-10 14:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or crank your bindings up Toofy Grin ....like I possibly should have done (a bit at any rate) last season to avoid losing a ski Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, how we laughed Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, especially as we called it before it happened Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
look what I just found Smile

http://youtube.com/v/cPKOIt7k090
latest report
Laughing Laughing I bet he loves that clip!! Once you have your skis back on it must be fairly 'interesting' getting back on the more upper surface of the powder. As I imagine you must end up fairly well dug down by the time you have your ski back on - When you ski over it fast you are skiing within its top layers (floating over it with the assistance of speed and mass spread out over your wide powder skis yes?), but when you stop you must surely sink in and then need to get going again. Does that present any problems?
ski holidays
Megamum, personally I either tramp down a flat area/step, or push the tail of the ski into the snow, so it sticks up out of the snow....

Much easier if you still have one ski on as it gives you a platform to start with, otherwise I have literally stood on one ski to get the other on....
snow conditions
Arno, kitenski, Its about time someone invented brakes that work in powder, the fatter the ski the further they get away from you Puzzled
ski holidays
Megamum, the retrieval of ones gear depends on the circumstances. As pointed out these guys are sponsored athletes with helicopter back up. The choppers can get incredibly close to the snow, when the skiers are dropped at the top of the runs they are literally hovering on the snow. At this point if the down draft is setting off slides then that's a good thing as the crew have clearly made bad decisions as to what aspects to ski.

Most of the time the skiers will try to climb up to get a pair of skis but it depends on their condition, the condition of the snow and the exposure. After all they probably have a few extra back up pairs at the lodge - but not always - on a TGR shoot then more than likely.

As for sinking it's pretty hard to sink on skis even in the softest of pow, once you are used to running the skis in snow. All these guys are using 100+mm underfoot so sinking isn't really a problem. Probably more important than the density of the snow is how steep it is, all the stuff they are skiing is super steep so sinking really isn't an issue.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Also, what do rest of people (non-heli-skiers) do off piste if they go down some fair distance? It still seems a difficult situation to recover from.

Blow whistle and hope to distract some kind samaritan from their line to yours to help you out! I have tried it after 30 mins to climb 20 feet.
latest report
Yeah but it's not skiing though, it's just falling without style Skullie
ski holidays
I wanna go.... albeit on something much less steep. I'm already quite good at the falling over part Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy