Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3D lift map. What is it like?

Poster: A snowHead
The SkiWelt Wilder Kaiser - Brixental is the first ski region in Austria to offer its guests a 3D pocket sized lift map.

A three dimensional view of the Ski area in reuseable, water proof pocket size. The new MountMap of the SkiWelt is the most progressive, portable lift map available.

Made of stable, re-useable plastic, it can be folded to pocket size. Each design is patented and gives a pop up version of the whole ski region in 3D format.

(www.skiwelt.at)

I have not had a chance to ski with a 3D piste map so far. Has anybody seen anything like this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kerekip, Being a bit short of sight I do like big scale maps. Also being a man I can read the map witohout spinning it through 180 degrees. Would not be of interest to me but would like to see one.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used a pop up 3V's one in January and it was ok, but I spose it the novelty value really, a normal lift map is just as good! Bonus - its waterproof so doesnt get all soggy as the week goes on!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
People occasionally (quite rarely, in fact) suggest skiing with

3D glasses, but it doesn't work unless you're on red or blue runs.
X-ray specs can be useful if you're accident-prone.
As for these 3D maps, I personally prefer to ski with a small plaster relief model of the area in question.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Head up display (HUD) built into goggles to superimpose the names of the lifts/runs (and restaurants) against the actual terrain has to be the answer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, you lightweight. Maps and instructions are for girls and poofs! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was offered a 3d holographic lift map cheap but I couldn't get it to work properly - the only thing it would project was some garbled half message of a girl in white looking for a Ben Kenobi!? Anyone know him?!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw a couple at the Ski show in October. They looked pretty funky and fairly easy to use. The waterproofing is a bonus.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This company are developing 3D lift maps for several resorts www.mountmaps.com
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was a very nice 3D lift map in the Val d'Isere tourist office recently. Perhaps a bit bit big and a bit heavy to take out onto the pistes. But really nice to study the layout of the mountains. Perhaps it would be manageable for a group if they left the perspex covers behind.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kerekip wrote:

.......Made of stable, re-useable plastic, it can be folded to pocket size. Each design is patented and gives a pop up version of the whole ski region in 3D format.

Just reminded me of this from "ski.ing" by Beard & McKie :

"Trail [piste] Map
An accurately scaled, color-coded representation of the layout and location of all the trails, lifts and other facilities of the area you are skiing, printed on a sheet of durable, foldable glossy paper that is in the pocket of an article of clothing you decided not to wear today"
Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevinrhead, thanks very much.
Now I know how a 3D piste map may look like. The 3D map of Ski Welt and 3Valleys is on the site.
Isn't it exaggeration to call these maps 3D?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, Of course I was referring to the 5 minute glance at the map on the transfer bus, but point taken
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like maps and I carry one but agree with Kramer on this. Only of use for last lift connections, that sort of thing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's with the macho cr@p? In a place as big as 3V with low visibility you can end up way off course and miss the last lift. Can't see anything wrong with knowing where you are. You woudn't think it clever to go touring without a map.
Kramer wrote:
Maps and instructions are for girls and poofs! Very Happy

That's a laugh! Sine when did girls read maps or instructions? Twisted Evil snowHead (wouldn't know about the other Little Angel )
ski holidays
Maps? Simply ask a passing pisteur, piste patrol, ski instuctor, guide, or liftie, you know those really helpful people who are employed to enable our enjoyment of their mountain(s).
snow report
kerekip, How much more 3d do you want? they pop up dont they?!
snow conditions
JT wrote:
I like maps and I carry one but agree with Kramer on this. Only of use for last lift connections, that sort of thing.

in that case a 4D one would be more useful.
latest report
skanky, like it! Laughing
snow report
Nadenoodlee, yes they pop up fine. Only the name sounds strage to me. I got a copy of piste plan from all the resort I have visited.
From now I will call them 2D.
snow conditions
kerekip, I've got a 3D 3V piste map.....we only really used it to plot where we'd been that day over a beer in the bar! It was fun for that...but it's too bulky to be really useful on the mountain.....we did find it useful for plotting a route out of Mottaret - we got pretty stuck in there one day and used the map to make sure it didn't happen again!
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Head up display (HUD) built into goggles to superimpose the names of the lifts/runs (and restaurants) against the actual terrain has to be the answer.

Cool Cool Maybe they could incorporate HUD into these babies. Awesome wink
snow conditions
Like most snowHead that were in the 3V this season saw it and I think one or two in the group bought one, to be honest I would agree with the thread that it is a novelty and the traditional one is just as good, provided that you can read maps wink (a dig at a couple in our group, sorry girls Blush )
snow report
I know I'm old fashioned, but why not produce a conventional flat map with contours ? That would not exaggerate perspective, distance or steepness.

The Good Ski Guide used to have 'proper' maps of each resort. Whilst not as pictureqsue or colourful as the perspective maps, they were much more useful in planning routes and understanding the true steepness of a run, its real length and its relationship to the rest of the system.

Unfortunately about 10 years ago they dumbed their maps down and simply copied the standard piste map, from which it is now impossible to compare resorts objectively.
latest report
Peter S, yeah, I've always pondered that too. It's not like good ordnance maps for every country don't already exist - resort management just has to nab one from the local authority, plot a few black/red/blue/green lines on it & hey presto! Instant indication of where's steep & where's not. Which may actually be why they haven't already done it..... Shocked
ski holidays
I saw a couple at the Ski Show - looked useful as a Christmas novelty gift for the keen skier in your life, but pretty much hopeless for use on the mountain.
latest report
Peter S,

Agree they were much better and should not have changed them IMO.

I love looking at maps and one look at one and I can get my bearings very easily and I'd far rather look at an O/S than the piste maps.
I have quite a photographic memory for maps so carry a piste map just in case.
If you are out for the day then you will have planned over the map the previous evening with the people involved.
snow report
love maps, 3D sounds awesome, but i haven't seen one. Mind you, after skiing a week a season for 3 seasons at La Clusaz, I don't need a piste map! If I could ski better I could be a guide. I wish...
Laundryman, heads up display is definitely the way to go!
Julia xx
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just got the 3V 3D map. Pretty useless for actually finding your way around on the ground, I'd imagine, but quite good for getting a picture of where you're going, especially in a large area like the 3V.
snow conditions
For skiing in whiteouts I've found a ping pong ball to be a handy pocket sized representation. Laughing
snow report
Scarpa, Laughing Yes, they were also used by the first explorers to navigate with during the last iceage, but fell into disuse for not being flat enough.

Not sure how much use I'd have for a pop-up 3D piste map. Now a pop-up 3D piste.....Roll on the holodeck!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy