Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has a discussion on snowHeads changed your opinion on anything?

Poster: A snowHead
On snowHeads, discussions sometimes get a little heated, at times they burst into flame. Do you find that the well crafted arguments and one-liners made by other snowHeads have changed your opinions on anything, or is it just water off a ducks back, and makes you dig your heels in deeper.

I've changed my opinion on a couple of topics recently, the biggest one for me being my decision to go and buy myself a helmet. This was down to some of the opinions that I had heard on snowHeads, and some excellent discussion that forced me to go and rethink my stance. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, it has changed my opinion on some organisations, and, on a more positive note, if it wasn't for snowHeads, I would never have tested a pair of Head iXRC1100SWs at Milton Keynes last year, and if I hadn't tested them, I never would have bought them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it wasnt for Snowheads (and the 2 new lifst) I would not have considered La Rosiere for a holiday. I would have missed out on a great holiday had it not been for the chat and advice given
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing to do with well-crafted arguments but snowHeads has persuaded me to go independent after years of using T.O.s.
Saved quite a bit and had no trouble at all. { PG kindly giving me a lift from Chambery airport to Plan Peisey helped greatly. }
Next season I might be going for a helmet too - PG's accident being one of the main factors that influenced me.
The SCGB threads have convinced me I will remain a non-member.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The attitude of certain members posting on this site has made me realise that the SCGB gave me very little for my membership, that has long since been cancelled. The demeanour of those individuals would probably prevent me from considering memebership again.

It has taught me that the limited french apres-ski experienced in Courchevel 1650 was overrated by lots of members. In fact as a sweeping generalisation, I think my limited experience of France leads me to believe that most members rate it highly whereas I do not.

It has illustrated both the good and bad in human nature - I never was one in favour of arguments just for the sake of it. I'm a believer in peaceful co-existence wherever possible.

And I've decided that I will probably move away from Salomon skis when I buy a new pair. That will be a first.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our views on powder have certainly changed since we joined snowHeads - our preference was always biological, but now we're non-bio.

Evo & Pritt
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer,

I'm with you about helmets, planning to buy on in the sale, but none available to fit my big head that I would be seen in). I enjoyed reading the hunting debate too, more informed than the usual debate I have been involved with. I do miss the Agent Provocateur Kevin MacLean though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not so much changed opinion, but in the last year I have done things I probably wouldn't have done had I not read this board and, to a lesser extent, Epic.

I had a couple of private ski lessons, rather than a group lesons.

I bought boots on the advice of a fitter, rather than waiting for the best deal in the sales.

I drew up a list of ski's to try, demo'd as many as I could from the list, and bought the ones I felt most comfortable with (and made my wife do the same).

I stayed at a small resort linked to a bigger area, rather than the better known "Named" resort.

I hired a car from the Swiss side of GVA and not the French.

I'm sure there have been instances when by opinion has been swayed, as a fact I hadn't been aware of is brought to light, but I can't think of any specific examples at hte moment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill wrote:
made my wife do the same

I've not yet met a husband who can "make" his wife do anything, however the reverse is often true! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with PeterB - am willing to admit the possibility that I might not buy Salomon skis for my next pair.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, Laughing

OK, maybe I overstated that. I suggested - she agreed. She made me pay Crying or Very sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mark Lehto, Peter B, congratulations, admitting that you've got a problem is halfway to solving it! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am a grumpy old stick in the mud and probably don't change my mind easily particularly where helmets are concerned. Plenty of hot air and very few facts, probably from both sides rolling eyes
I have however found many of the threads very informative the global warming one below being a great example of some well presented links which has certainly advanced my knowledge and probably hardened my opinions slightly rather than changed them.
I have also found like others some specific recommendations very useful.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, well my skis have only done two weeks and I think they are lovely... so all I am prepared to admit is that there might be lovelier ones around. Perhaps. And next time I might try and find out. So I guess I am denying my problem is a problem. I am not an alcoholic. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mark Lehto, there's only one thing lovelier than a new pair of skis, and that's two new pairs of skis. Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm not sure that my opinions been changed on any subject, but I've certainly learn't a lot of new things, I've even purchased a rather good book on ski waxing thanks to one of our regular members reccomendation Little Angel
snow report
I'm not sure I've changed any opinions (no surprises there then), but I've learnt loads.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
On snowHeads, discussions sometimes get a little heated, at times they burst into flame.

I joined in Feb this year and have yet to see the above so I am rather looking forward to it! wink Toofy Grin

But I have learnt about the resident Troll, (indeed, I even know what a troll is, in this context, which I didn't before I joined!)

I have also had my opinions of The SCGB confirmed, but I must admit I think the whole subject is now a little repetitive and I am glad that it is confined to its own thread snowHead

and I continue to be surprised by WTFH and his ability to post in so many forums so often and also Kuwait Ian who is in here so often and so knowledgeable. Smile

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 27-04-05 19:13; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I have been nudged toward thinking maybe I should wear a helmet - but haven't done it yet. And I switched from getting a mini-ipod partly as a result of an opinion about flash (as opposed to disc) memory expressed here. OTOH, maybe I was wrong - I dunno Embarassed
ski holidays
boredsurfin, how many forums do you know of that I post in?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat,
3 Ski ones plus 2 work ones
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,
No, I'm not your stalker Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Indeed, but then I'm always changing my mind. Well, not always, but it's not unknown...though rare, well I think I may have changed it once. But I could be convinced that I didn't. Confused
latest report
Well, went back to the Jungfrau area, perhaps not to the right resort ( Toofy Grin !) as a result of positive comment on Wengen on this forum. Probably would have went in a few years anyway as I was there 4 years ago and loved the area, now I want to go back soon!

learned that SCGB is not the only show in town. Lots of intreresting, intelligent and informative people on this forum.

some good humour, can we have some more of these wonderful games some people have posted here.

has not changed any of my core values but it was interestinmg to read that Kramer has been persuaded to wear a helmet and that is persuasive coming from a medical guy.

snowHead
ski holidays
I would never have considered skiing on a dry slope, or race training, but that seems to be what I'm doing now (as of last week).

I'm probably more comfortable with modern ski techniques that I would have been otherwise.

I learned about telemark-pyreneees from here, from where my brother then got some dead cheap skis.

None of the arguments have changed my mind about much else, although I have learned a lot about lots of other stuff I didn't know before.

The rabid anti-SCGB attitudes from some of the posters here do sometimes make me wonder whether it's worth it though. All over a goddamed forum FFS. Some of you need to get over it and grow up.
ski holidays
Quote:
The rabid anti-SCGB attitudes from some of the posters here do sometimes make me wonder whether it's worth it though. All over a goddamed forum FFS. Some of you need to get over it and grow up.

Surely it's a matter of perspective. Some may describe comments as anti-SCGB. Others see them as pro a different kind of "Club", more forward-thinking, inclusive, and transparent. Whatever your stance, lively debate often leads to new ideas, hopefully a coming together of minds at some point, positive change, consensus.

However deep-seated your opinions, the refreshing discussions on this forum, rarely acrimonious, are likely to introduce people to new ideas and unthought-of aspects to a problem on occasion. Getting back to Kramer's original question, our minds are bound to be "changed", even if subtly, unconsciously.

Changing views, especially on fundamental issues, doesn't often take the form of dramatic revelation. It's usually a slow, invisible process.
latest report
Not Sure....!!!!
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Kramer wrote:
On snowHeads, discussions sometimes get a little heated, at times they burst into flame.

I joined in Feb this year and have yet to see the above so I am rather looking forward to it! wink Toofy Grin

The mods are a bit quicker with the extinguishers than they used to be. Got to be quick to spot a flare-up before it's gone. wink Whole threads have been known to be consigned to outer darkness. Not often fortunately. Outbreaks tend to occur around Masque, Tim Brown and just occasionally a couple of our heavyweight posters. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Outbreaks tend to occur around Masque, Tim Brown .......

That's the one one I noticed but equallly speedy are the other posters to marginalise the more pathetic of those posts Smile
The weather here is dull and overcast today wink
latest report
Actually, no, maybe I have.
snow conditions
PG wrote:
...Changing views, especially on fundamental issues, doesn't often take the form of dramatic revelation. It's usually a slow, invisible process.

The SCGB was a very good way of skiers getting together to have a good time. It still is. But I think snowheads is beginning to offer a real alternative - where the members themselves work out what they want to do, or offer ideas - albeit triggered into doing something by pro-active snowheads. The EOSB has been fantastic. But there have also been less ambitous, but also satisfying, get togethers - eg the snowdome days. So I suppose I am changing my opinion about what we can to for one another with this forum.
snow report
Nick, you're so right. A club, an association, a society, a group has to operate from its roots.
snow report
If it was a discussion on snowhead I wouldn't have tried the snowdome or ski Les Arcs (or Bourg St Maurice) twice in the same year.
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, Come on, I pretty much let his last one go. I'll admit to a little intemperance toward trolls and the occasional base hypocrisy (got to keep those mods dancing, it’s good exercise).
I’ve learnt that the SCGB is not populated entirely by elitists, nearly all the members I’ve met through here are warm, witty enthusiasts. I’ve also learnt that I’m not alone in sharing the thought that there may be “something of the night” in its management systems.
I’ve learned about many new resorts, techniques, services and products that would be a impossibility without this forum. A big thanks to all of you.
latest report
JT, there you are then!!
snow conditions
Wouldn't have said that any of my opinions have changed, but have benefitted from the fountains of knowledge and the banter has been great fun at times.

Great sight, great company. snowHead
ski holidays
Masque, And you've been described as "cuddly"!! snowHead
latest report
I've got to get a haircut.
More worrying is that it came from a man who surrounds himself with camels Shocked
snow report
Ken Lingwood,
Couldn't agree more! snowHead
snow conditions
As a result of reading the teachings of snowHeads I am now a Buddhist.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy