Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Shoes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone else ever got stuck in flat deep snow. Or wanted the ability to explore a bit more off piste? Are snow shoes the answer, and if so, whats good. I think i could definitely be tempted to get snowshoes, if i could get ones that weren't too much of a faff to carry.

do any of you guys use em?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair as do a few other people on here. They are an answer but not the only one, in some situations they are the best of the alternatives e.g. walking out of flat valleys but in other situations they could be a bad idea e.g. hiking up a glacier. I bought a splitboard last season and having the two options covers most things I want to do, the splitboard isn't the complete solution but I use it more than the snowshoes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at this
http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/Classifieds/back-country-touring-kit--approach-skis--boots--bindings--and-maybe-board-if-needed/ClassifiedID/2047/ShowClassified.aspx

Any questions re this type of stuff please feel free to ask
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
that's interesting. is it a question of degree then - i.e. depending on what exactly you plan to do, split board, crampons and axes, snow shoes, or even approach skis might be the best solution?

to narrow it down a bit, i think i could see myself using the snowshoes or whatever to do stuff relatively close to pistes - maybe a short hike from the top of a lift to find a nice line, or as a reserve option if exploring between pistes and manage to find a deep flat bit. being realistic though a lot of my time is still spent on the piste. in those circumstances i wonder if a split board etc might be overkill.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sound like snow shoes to give you your first taste - but please, please don't just go off totally unaware of your surroundings........if you're inexperienced then you will need to learn a lot more mountain craft, though has to be said that we all did it unaware of what coudl happen..............
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're thinking of snowshoes, check out the MSR Lightning Ascent model. You'll find them on facewest.co.uk and ellis-brigham.com. Snowboard boot friendly, light and the binding packs flat for lashing them to your pack. Good traction for hard pack/ice too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd never carry snowshoes "just in case" I got stuck in a flat bit. They're always a bit of a pain to have hanging off the back of your pack. I'd only ever use them for a well-planned day out. If it's anything at all near the lifts, you're better off just boot-packing (especially if you're in a group and can take turns at the front). If you're hiking a ridge, you can almost always find a line where the snow is pretty firmly-packed to walk on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As Backcountryboarder says, go for MSR if you do get some - either the lightnings or the Denali Evo Ascents.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy