Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sun Peaks or Big White again?

Poster: A snowHead
Just had clearance for work trip to Vancouver and will have two or three clear days to break out. Last year enjoyed an epic two days at Big White and am completely torn between returning and ticking off Sun Peaks from the bucket list. What would you recommend? (Will fit in Whistler regardless).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's such a long drive. If you are already doing Whistler I can't help but think the days would be better used there, it has better terrain than Big White and Sun Peaks. If you are going that way I prefer Red Mountain to both, although it is an even further drive. It depends what kind of resort you are looking for - I know families that love Big White and Sun Peaks, but for an advanced skier looking for more challenging terrain they are perhaps not the most interesting.

If you are willing to fly and have an epic pass (for Whistler) it opens up a lot of options.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you've not been to Sun Peaks then it's well worth a visit, preferably when it's "epic", but you can always check conditions first.
Silver Star is closer to Big White and is actually my favourite of those.

Wannabe hard core people go elsewhere, but experts can find plenty of stuff to ride in these places and you don't need to fight the family types for fresh tracks.

It all depends what you want, and where the good snow happens to be.
Sun Peaks is about 5 hours from Vancouver. If you're going to Whistler on the same trip, just keep driving north.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can’t lose, but meanwhile I think Silver Star easily tops them both, at least for a few days. You could even try all 3, and try each of their sticky buns as well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scooter in Seattle, no contest really, sticky buns @ Silver Star are the best of the 3 Toofy Grin

Will be sampling again this season, just to make sure Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha, Bones I agree, provided you mean the ones from Bugaboos as opposed to Paradise Camp. More goo, less bread.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scooter in Seattle, yeah, they're the ones Toofy Grin Paradise were a bit over done tbh, and dry last time we had em.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowsartre wrote:
Just had clearance for work trip to Vancouver and will have two or three clear days to break out. Last year enjoyed an epic two days at Big White and am completely torn between returning and ticking off Sun Peaks from the bucket list. What would you recommend? (Will fit in Whistler regardless).

I've only done two of the three ....... Sun Peaks not as yet.

I like the way they keep the terrain at Big White and would go back at the drop of a hat, so if Sun Peaks is a similar deal and the conditions are right it would maybe make sense to try there (or even SS, another one I've yet to do).

Despite that, as said, with only two or three days you could end up travelling more than sliding, so might be better to lurk around Whistle ..... lol ..... decisions, decisions ....... wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
UPDATE..Thanks all for comments, so work trip has shifted around a little bit which gives a bit more downtime than expected Very Happy which currently looks like weekend at Sun Peaks staying Kamloops, 3 days at Kelowna which planning to split two days Big White and a day at Silver Star then at end of trip a weekend at Lake Louise. Slightly sorry to be missing Whistler but have skied there last few years and to get there would mean forgoing Sun Peaks where I have never been and also I think it is Luther King weekend = crowds.

Am I missing a trick here, red mountain for example?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MLK day is not a big holiday. With the exception of Whistler, I don't think anywhere else will be any different from any weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The trick, I think, is to realize that it's a big place out there and you don't need to hit it all in one trip. I often stay in Kamloops, you can easily do Sun Peaks and Silver Star from there, although the restaurants and hotels aren't great in the town, which isn't a tourist place.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think you have chosen wisely. You should definitely do the powder highway another time ;p. It's worth a couple of weeks
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@philwig, have you any recommendations for Kamloops - like beer, steak and Cactus Club’s recruitment policy wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

although the restaurants and hotels aren't great in the town, which isn't a tourist place.

I'd agree with this, stayed there last time for Sun Peaks. Dropping in there this year, but found a room deal at Sun Peaks instead for a couple of nights, just to mix it up a little Toofy Grin

We don't usually mind staying in local towns, as its always a different vibe, but Kamloops just felt a place we didn't need to revisit.

Red's a good trek from Kamloops Toofy Grin and worth a visit at some point, probably combine it with Whitewater too, as they are close.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Be sure to consider Apex which is just outside of Penticton - only an hour from Kelowna. More advanced terrain than Sun Peaks, Big White or Silver Star.
snow report
sbooker, Yep, we'll be sampling Apex, on the drive to Red Madeye-Smiley Met some ladies from there the other year who recommended the place.
ski holidays
I would politely disagree on Apex. It's a nice hill for locals who don't want to travel far but the terrain and snow can't be put in the same class as Big White, Sun Peaks, and Silver Star.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy