Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need the 4 Valleys pass for my verbier BASI exams?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As titled. Just wondering if I will need the full area pass. I am there for 4 weeks of exams and so I am going to just buy the season pass on the earlier special price. However, if I need 4 Valleys this is still 1200CHF, so £780!! i looked at doing 4 blocks of 5 days 4 Valleys, it comes in at about 36CHF less, so thought I may aswell ski a bit on weekends, and make the odd trip over to Verbier for ski for the extra £20!

I am doing 3 ISIA exams, one of these being mountain safety, which I think they would want me to have the whole area for. The last 3 weeks of exams is one block of time for the tech then teach. If I needed full for the one week and verbier the rest I would change how I buy them. If I need full area for the lot then I can get it, its just very pricey! And Verbier alone still has 190km, but I expect we would still be heading outside of the Verbier area.

Thanks for any input on this! I need to buy the pass before friday, after that the prices go up.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Phone up and ask the people running the course?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, tried earlier today. They were out of the office, I will give another call tomorrow. Just thought I might get an answer in the mean time. I am feeling impatient! No worries if nobody knows, the BASI office will sort me out tomorrow!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anything I say here is going to be inferior to "ring them and ask."

That said - just having the Verbier pass is restrictive - I think the map below is still current.

http://www.verbinet.com/pdf/verbier/verbier-piste-map.jpg

Earlier this year I ran into the ISIA course on the col de la Chaux. In order to easily get there and get back from the route they were taking, they would have needed the full area pass. They were doing a loop from the col de la Chaux, over the Louvie and then down to Siviez and were having a few navigational issues. I'd consider getting the 1:50 map for the area beforehand as it has all the main tours marked.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, I kind of expected to need the full area. Think I was just really hopeful to avoid it! Just a bit pricey, but ah well, at least Ive got them all in one resort which does help!

Thanks for the advice on the map. I forget which map BASI suggest but that sounds pretty helpful with routes already on it. Hopefully I wont be gettin the gruop too lost, although I havent toured before or map read in a long time, lots of learning for me this season!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There are two. There is the 1:25 map (Rosablanche), which covers most of the Verbier area but does not cover the area around Nendaz and misses off the off piste stuff around Eteygeon. This is a year round map without the winter or summer routes marked. There is also the winter 1:50 map (Arolla) which covers everything and comes with the main touring routes marked.

The 1:25 is this one:

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/stock/rosablanche-7258/

and the 1:50 is this one:

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/stock/arolla-ski-edition-7102/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks very much! touring is one of teh big reasons for me getting excited about this winter. Cant wait!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It would be a false economy not to have it, as you wave good bye to your mates as they head off to have fun on the Greppon Blanc. You get Chamonix thrown in too if you get the season's pass.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
R555MAC, I hope you've been working on your fitness. The MSM is a bit of a beast.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My fitness should be OK by the time I get to Verbier. Certainly after a couple of weeks on the glacier pre season my cardio always feels pretty good. I havent toured before but have done hour long boot packing through knee deep snow, that wasnt too tiring so hoping if I get an efficient technique touring I wont find it too tiring.

I have gone for the season pass, all sorted. Thats good that I can head to Cham with it. I am going to try and get my tour book logs all done this season aswell, take advantage of the pass. So hopefully get a lot of good touring done. Although to be honest I would be more about minimum ascent for max decent.

I ski in the PDS each season, seeing as I have havent looked into touring I dont know of any really big route/descents in the area apart from the obvious stuff that I can bootpack anyways. So reckon using the 4 valleys to get some tours done would be a better way of filling my log book. I want to get good value out of my pass so I plan on spending a day each weekend between my exams doing a tour or some sort, regardless of conditions (as long as they are safe that is!).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
R555MAC, just to confirm you'l need the full pass, I did the MSM in verbier this year (great fun) and you'd be stuffed on a verbier pass. if you're also doing the tech and teach here then you'll need the full pass (yes someone will point out the course COULD be run in the verbier area alone, but it wont be!)

with regards the maps the 1:50 is useful for your own fun but the course requires the 1:25 one. If you try to turn up with the 1:50 they'll a: tell you to go buy the rosablanche one (impossible that week last year as 40 people cleared the town out) and b: they'll just make sure they set you tasks off the normal routes. a lot of the map work assesment is "point out on your map that ridge/gully/peak and the more detail you have on your map the better.

enjoy Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skidog did that course lastyear.
Having done DofE Gold and Queen's Scout Award he was rather good at the navigation side of things.
In fact so good that at the end of the course the BASI examiner offered him a job for the summer helping to run mountain adventure type courses for adults.

Was I a proud Dad ?!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
R555MAC, have you got an answer from the office on this or would you like me to find out for you?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy